“Convenient to slopes but lacks attention to detail”

Marriott's Timber Lodge
Ranked #9 of 65 Hotels in South Lake Tahoe
Reviewed January 4, 2014

The property is beautiful, and being literally steps away from the Heavenly gondola is awesome! The staff was friendly, the rooms were clean and comfortable, but there was a noticeable lack of attention to detail by the housekeeping staff. I stayed for a week in a 2-bedroom unit as a timeshare owner, but I never felt like a WELCOMED guest - only someone occupying a room. Every time I used the "At Your Service" phone service, I was always on hold for 3-6min (maybe more) before someone would answer while listening to crackling elevator music. I had to pay for daily housekeeping (unique to owners here) while I've never had to do that in Hawaii and Thailand. The only reason I paid was b/c I didn't want my guests to think I was cheap or question why I bought a Marriott timeshare to begin with. It was truly insulting. Lastly, housekeeping never replenished my shampoo but kept giving me lotion, sometimes forgot to leave a new bath mat towel, sometimes forgot to replenish the coffee, sometimes made the main bed but wouldn't make the sofa bed that was clearly used and unmade, would never put away the iron back into the closet, clean towels hung wrinkly on the rack, and on my last two days never came at all until I called them once I got off the ski slopes in the afternoon. Also, there isn't an inside hotel bar. So if you want a drink, then you have to brave the cold outside at the Fire and Ice restaurant. Speaking of which, while the food was good at F&I, it was grossly unclean....sauce was everywhere on the counter top around the grill, cooks were throwing dishes and making a mess on the floor, and it was way overpriced.....guests shouldn't have to witness a mess while watching their food being prepared.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
MVCI_Executive, Customer Care at Marriott's Timber Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2014

Thank you for visiting Marriott's Timber Lodge. While we are happy you enjoyed your overall visit, we are disappointed to learn the housekeeping service did not meet your expectations. As a vacation club resort, daily cleanings are included for an additional fee for owners. Guests paying a nightly rental rate will receive a daily tidy service.

We would welcome the chance to personally respond to your concerns and invite you to contact our Customer Care team at customer.care@vacationclub.com or by calling 800-860-9384. Thank you again for visiting and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,103)

Reviewed December 29, 2013

I usually jot down my review before entering it, so it was a surprise to see it already there! I completely echo Twinlions review with one sole exception - we didn't find the housekeeping up to Marriott's usual standards. Moldy shower and sticky woodwork prompted a once over by the ladies before human consumption allowed!! Otherwise spot on!!

We are Marriott Destinations owners and this was a Platinum week at Christmas. Heated swimming pool in sub-freezing temperatures is great fun and hot tubs right next to skating rink is unique!! So bring a bathing suit and your ski stuff. The resort's close proximity to the lake with the snow-capped mountains beyond the crystal clear water was a treat!!

Be sure to check out the new "Boom Box" a huge snow cat converted into a giant soundstage they drive up on the mountain for "ski parties". Made the headlines this week!!

Raley's Supermarket is right next door so very convenient for home cooked holiday meals! Driftwood Cafe, on the property, is excellent, once you have experienced Fire 'n Ice (or maybe if you decide not to!).

Discounts on ski rentals abound - just ask at the hotel. One caution - the cost of a non-skier on the Gondola is rather steep ($39 per person). so if all you are looking for is a panorama it'll be a costly one. Drive to the lake, it's less expensive and EVERYTHING you buy on the mountain is VERY expensive ($9.00 beer, for instance).

All in all, a beautiful place to visit and certainly an enjoyable venue.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Insight37421
MVCI_Executive, Customer Care at Marriott's Timber Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2014

We appreciate your positive review of Marriott’s Timber Lodge! Our team is thrilled to hear your family enjoyed their ski vacation and the many amenities the resort has to offer. We also appreciate your feedback about the cleanliness of your room and apologize for any inconvenience it caused you. Thank you for visiting and we look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed December 27, 2013

The Timber Lodge is spectacular to look at, nestled right up against the mountain, with its own little faux Aspen village of shops, restaurants, skating rink. The gondola to the Heavenly ski area takes off from right outside the lobby, so this is a skier's paradise. Even for non-skiers, the gondola ride up the steep mountain to the lodge is worth doing. The bell staff, parking valets, and front desk staff are all incredibly helpful and couldn't be nicer. Each unit consists of a well appointed living room, dining area, kitchen, and bath. All well cared for and clean. We were there two days after a storm dropped a ton of snow, so the place looked like a postcard. The downstairs gym and steam rooms are well equipped. The only restaurant in the hotel, however, is the "Fire & Ice," a sort of glorified Mongolian barbecue where you pick your ingredients from ice tables, take them to a chef who cooks them on a giant wok, and hands 'em back. This is fine as a novelty, but once you've done it and had success or failure with creating your own recipe, you've done it. It'd be great to have a more general purpose restaurant/grill in the hotel, along with a lobby bar. With temperatures around zero at night, some nights we just didn't feel like going out in search of a place to eat, and many of the little places near the hotel were pretty mediocre. This might also enable the Timber Lodge to offer room service, which is a great option, even in a resort where the rooms have small kitchens. Staff-wise, our single disappointment was in one guy who was covering a concierge desk and just didn't seem up to the task. He seemed shy, nervous, and unsure of information. He didn't offer alternative suggestions, and just seemed in over his head.

But again, this place is beautiful, comfortable, an easy walk to gambling, shopping, and dining. It certainly seemed to be the stand-out property for miles and miles along the south shore.

Room Tip: A room on the boulevard or overlooking the gondola/village area offers a fun glimpse of the world go...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank twinlions
MVCI_Executive, Customer Care at Marriott's Timber Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded December 30, 2013

Thank you for visiting Marriott’s Timberlodge! We are happy you enjoyed your vacation and appreciate your feedback regarding areas for improvement. This information you provided will help us to continually better our guest’s experience. We look forward to your next visit with us!

Reviewed December 26, 2013

Wow I really like the mountains and I loved the Timber Lodge! Everything was great and the staff was very Friendly at check in. I did have two problems on the trip and learned a lot about this being a "Marriott". You cannot extend your stay with the front desk you have to call the Marriot 800 number. Then there is a chance you can't stay in the same room. Timber Lodge was quick to point out they are not like a normal Marriot. Ok I get it that's my fault for not understanding this was a time share not a true hotel irritating but I will move on. SO when we went to dinner I thought I would leave the widow cracked to get some fresh mountain air. Big mistakes when we returned we had HUNDEREDS of mosquitoes in our room. Called the front desk they sent of maintenance with "air freshener" to spray and kill the mosquitoes. After talking with the front desk manager he refused to move our rooms. He said the only way we could move was if we paid for both rooms!?!? Really so much for customer service. We left with a very bad taste in our mouth (air freshener and dead mosquitoes) and some bites on our faces.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank johnAch2
Reviewed December 15, 2013

We arrived at the Timber Lodge after missing the express bus and with a winter storm brewing (very cold+++). We had not even got into the lobby and we were given such a wonderful greeting from the bellboy who must have seen how we were struggling with our luggage. He whisked our bags off us and brought them to our room minutes later. Similarly, check in was a no fuss affair and we were soon very comfortable in a 2 bed 2 bath apartment. After big days on the slopes we really appreciated the in room spa bath and the ability to be able to prepare our own meals in the full kitchen. From other reviews, I was led to believe that our apartment would not be serviced for the 7 days that we stayed; I am happy to report that we received a daily service and housekeeping were very accommodating (even bringing in a vacuum to take the air out of my space bag). The valet service for our ski gear was wonderful and we were always greeting with the friendliest of staff. This place was terrific, can't wait to return.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Caz L
MVCI_Executive, Manager at Marriott's Timber Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded December 18, 2013

Our team is ecstatic to hear you enjoyed your stay with us at Marriott’s Timber Lodge! Thank you for your kind words and we wish to serve you again in the near future.

Reviewed December 4, 2013

This is a beautiful property. Our "room" was really a small apartment. Full kitchen, living area with fireplace, bedroom and bath with jacuzzi tub. The surrounding area is very nice. Shopping, art galleries, restaurants, theater, and casinos all a short walk.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Stan P
Reviewed December 4, 2013

We have a wonderful stay!!! The resort is beautiful and so is Lake Tahoe. There are many on fun activities. Everyone is very friendly and helpful. We loved this place and will be back. The weather was on the cool side but being from Vermont that didn't bother us. We flew into Reno and took the South Tahoe Express r/t to the resort next to the Lodge and rented a car a few days later through Costco.com to pick up at the next door Lake Tahoe Resort at a much lower cost. A car is a must at least for some of the time.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple