“Trust the reviews and stay away, they steal”

Big Pines Mountain House of Tahoe
Ranked #22 of 66 Hotels in South Lake Tahoe
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed April 30, 2010

Booked on Expedia with a great rate a couple weeks before arriving. Really wanted a place with a kitchen because of the length of our stay. Called about a week before we were scheduled to arrive and asked if the room we booked had pots and pans or if we needed to bring our own. The front desk looked at our reservation, confirmed the dates and told me that the pots and pans plus dishes were provided in the room.

Our reservation was for "One Queen Bed with Kitchen" as titled on their website. They even show a picture of a small, yet full, kitchen right before the reservation page. When we checked in the front desk lady was not having ANY small talk. She said nothing exvept "sign here" and "here is your key cards." I tried to be upbeat and nice, but got the cold shoulder. Anyways, we got to our room and there was a microwave. That is it, no dishes, not even a crock pot or something else to cook with. A microwave. I called immediately and got the same treatment from the front desk. She claimed that no single queen rooms had a kitchen. Well that is not what their website said, nor is it what Expedia says.

After much discussion, she finally gave up the keys to a double queen bed room with kitchen. It was ok, but I think she was bitter and called the manager after we left to let him know. I say that because later that night, we got a call that we were talking too loud and he would call the cops next time he got complaints from other rooms. The walls are soooo thin, I can imagine any noise carries and it sucks for people around you. We ended up leaving and walking around, it was late night but stuff was still open.

The room was ok beyond that, and we gave beer to the room service. When I got home, 2 weeks later I see a charge on the card I used for my deposit for 60 dollars. Front desk man, much nicer, said it was for a room upgrade. BS, charge has been disputed and found in my favor. Theifs. There were probably 60% vacancy that weekend and I plan on going back to Tahoe next year. These guys could have had repeat business, instead they treat me and my girlfriend like crap and I will spread the word that the bad reviews are correct, unfriendly staff, theifs and liars.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank PorStaker
There are newer reviews for Big Pines Mountain House of Tahoe

Reviewed April 12, 2010

Big Pines Mountain House could be so much better...

1) Noisy rooms! Very thin walls - this may be acceptable in your own own house but not in a motel! We had a family with very small children next to us...

2) Gas heater in the room was disturbing old & loud - with fumes (no carbon monoxide detector fitted in room).

3) Just having donuts for breakfast is wrong.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mrfd1979
Reviewed March 8, 2010

My husband and I stayed at this hotel. I usually complain about any hotels less than 5 stars but we waited to long to book and ended up staying here. Much to my surprise the stay was great. Clean bathroom, bed, and a good nights sleep not to mention that it is right across the street from the Heavenly Gondola. This one is GREAT for the money!!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 20, 2010

BPMH is nothing fancy but it served the purpose very well. We wanted a place very close to the Heavenly ski resort (just one block from the gondola) and the rental store. The room was bigger than the typical motel room and although not luxurious, no complaints. The price was really good. I'd be happy to stay here again if we ever come back to Tahoe to ski again.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 15, 2010

We just returned from a weekend trip to Tahoe with our 3 children and stayed at the Big Pine Mountain House. To put it simply:
- Great location less than 2 blocks from Heavenly Gondola and casinos
- Free WiFi
- OK free continental breakfast, could be better (doughnuts, coffee, orange juice)
- Outstanding shower, awesome water pressure
- Friendly staff
- Rooms are outdated but clean
- Crappy beds, really should be replaced
- Excellent price-value ratio

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed December 22, 2009

We loved the hotel. The room was clean. The bed was very comfortable. The shampoo and soap smelled really good. It was also nice to have a refrigerator.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 5, 2009

I like it!!! I go there every year and I always recommend it to all my friends. This year we had 3 rooms and all of them were great. Even that thing are old, they keep it clean and neat. The rooms are clean and the service is great. If you have a concern there is always somebody who can help you out. You have all you need (of course depending what kind of room you requested). Considering other hotels around this one I will give this one compared to them and A (looking at service, cleanliness, price, etc). Shower is good, clean, always with fresh towels and you can always request more.
Sheets are clean, I have never found anything gross as other people say, and I go often enough.
Nobody can beat the price! You can go during the weekend or on a holiday and get great price compared to other place.
All rooms with minimum of microwave and TV. Has free WiFi.
Sometimes you hear if your neighbours are noisy, but isn't this the case no matter whre you go?

• Stayed: August 2009