“Very Nice....... Except.....”
Review of Black Bear Lodge

Black Bear Lodge
Reviewed August 5, 2011

My wife and I stayed at the BBI for four nights in mid July. After reading so many good reviews on TA we had pretty high expectations - some were met while others fell short.
For the most part this inn and property is beautiful and worth the rates they charge, but we found the owners to appear stressed out and not as friendly as we wanted them to be. Anyone staying here should be made aware that check-in time is after 3:00 but before 6:00. This is a pretty small window. We arrived around 6:20 and felt rushed by one of the owners as he was literally waiting in the paking lot for us to arrive so that he could direct us to park in a handicapped parking space to hurry check in. This 'rush us through' begining set a bad tone for our stay.
At check in we were upgraded to a cabin, which was really appreciated and unexpected. The room was big but the decor was very unusual. Although the furnishings could be called antiques, it looked more to us like old junk. Not our style I guess.
Breakfasts were varied yet superb every morning. Each day the dishes and silverware were different also- nice touch. Those staying in cabins can have breakfast delivered if desired - also nice.
Our spa/hot tub experience wasn't the best. Both times there we were startled by finding huge centipeeds in the water, brushing up against us while we were enjoying the spa momenet. Although dead, these 4 inch long creepy things totally ruined the mood. One that I threw out next to the spa stayed there our entire visit next to a dozen or more unsightly bottles of spa chemicals. Come on guys, buy a cabinet or rustic old trunk to store these chemicals. Leaving them lying around is tacky.
Although we most likely won't return, the experience was about 87 out of 100 - which is really pretty good, but it should have been better.

Room Tip: Lodge rooms can be noisy. Get a cabin instead.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank napanative1956

Reviewed July 18, 2011

We could not have been more pleased with our July 15th stay at the Black Bear Inn. The Inn is simply drop dead gorgeous. Throughout our stay, the staff consistently presented as friendly, genuinely warm, respectful, and willing to accommodate our every wish. The picturesque grounds were found to be carefully sculpted and manicured. The rooms were clean, quiet, inviting and relaxing. And as other reviewers have raved, Chef Alex was amazing and completely blew us away with his sumptuous 6 course sample dinner.

It is obvious that a lot of thought, time and effort went into successfully creating the warm ambiance at this Inn. It is the little details such as the staff professionalism, the food and wine selections, amenities and the architectural and landscape beauty that all add up to make this a very special place.

I have absolutely no doubt that you will love your stay at the Black Bear Inn.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank L8Bloom
Reviewed July 16, 2011

On a weekend ski trip to Tahoe we happened upon this B&B and enquired with staff reqarding availability for the same evening and we were promptly given a tour of the rooms and grounds. We chose a room instead of a cabin only to find out it had just been booked by another group being shown the grounds at the same time. The owner intervened and offered us the cabin at the price of a room. The rooms and grounds are decorated extremely tastefully with Ralph Lauren and antiques suited to Northern California lifestyle. Given the
beautiful surroundings we opted for an afternoon and evening in. We met several other guests at the complimentary wine and cheese hour. The Black Bear Inn has a restaurant on grounds and we made our way to dinner after wine and cheese. Dinner was above and beyond our expectations.We are living in North California this year so we've stayed at various hotels or B&B's in the area which do not begin to compare.We would highly reccommend to anyone who wants a flawless experience in a cozy well thought out environment!!!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lovetotravellots2
Reviewed July 6, 2011

Had such a lovely time in South Lake Tahoe June 24 - 26. My partner & I were truly blown away by the experience: the rooms, common area, courtyard, etc. are all tastefully decorated & imbued with charm & character; certainly reflect the owner's taste & personal touch. The staff is definitely very attentive to our every need. We got the Washoe & my only complaint here is that the windows open up to the street hence lacking privacy; some planting in front of them would help. The gourmet breakfasts are delish (& generously portioned!) as others have mentioned.

I would be remiss of course if I don't mention the dinner prepared by Chef Alex: we had a six-course tasty menu that was one helluva gastronomical experience. Just for calibration, it might be relevant to mention that we are foodies who have tasted the best of what the Bay Area food scene has to offer in the likes of Chez Panisse, Wolf Bay, Piatti's, 2223, Fresca, Piqeuo, Limon, etc. but this ranks right up there. An absolute must try!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SfWanderlust
Reviewed June 7, 2011

We spent a weekend at the Black Bear Inn in June. Everything was perfect throughout the weekend! The inn was just the right size for our group of 18 and the inn was an excellent haven from California's late-winter weather! The breakfasts were wonderful, the service was terrific, the wine and cheese party was just right, and the dinner (ah, the dinner!) was magnificant! Their attention to service and detail was remarkable and everyone in our group noticed how much the staff enjoys making sure the guests feel comfortable and happy. We will definately be back and we will recommend the Black Bear Inn to everyone we know.

Room Tip: All rooms are good; the cabins are wonderful!
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 22, 2011

We arrived at the Black Bear Inn in April. Naive and totally our issue! We wanted to see the mountains and it was neither the ski season nor the summer!!!! Our hosts wrote the week before saying they wouldn't be there. No problem and no issue!!! Kimberley and Alex rent the restaurant and stood in as hosts. They really couldn't be faulted.

I thought given the season (that I hadn't considered!) prices were v expensive.

However Alex is a gem of a cook and we had no problem with the price of a gorgeous dinner he cooked. Watch this space - this man is a talent.

• Stayed: April 2011
3  Thank Susand70
Reviewed March 27, 2011

Our weekend at Black Bear Inn was amazing from start to finish. We called before check-in time to see if we could come early and the friendly front desk woman invited us to come on over and check in! The Inn is close to everything...Heavenly Valley ski resort, the lake and the casinos. We arrived on a pretty stormy weekend and had the main house to ourselves. We had reserved the Washoe room but discovered that it was right off of the Great room and although the room was very nice, we prefer more privacy. We requested a change to the Sequoia room which is on the second floor with a beautiful sitting area and view of the grounds. Our request was accommodated with no problem.

The entire staff of the Black Bear Inn is class “A”. They have been friendly, always stopping to chat or offer assistance with questions about anything from other places to dine (but why would you want to eat anywhere else!) to telling about the property. And speaking of eating...I thought I had died and gone to heaven!! The first meal we had was dinner which started out with olives and delicate fresh-made, bite sized, cracker-like, melt-in-your-mouth mini pastries. The bread had a perfect crunchy crust. Then onto an appetizer of seared scallops, cauliflower puree, Parma ham, and truffle oil. This is one of their signature items and it should be. You’ll be lucky to taste this, and I don’t like scallops! The main dishes were a smoked pork chop with apple chutney, sweet potato puree (these medallions had a slight crisp on the outside and fresh sweet potato on the inside) and cider apples. So tasty...I found myself hoping I could make a pork chop that good and I’ve spent a considerable amount of time experimenting with different ways of cooking them! This was perfect! Juicy and flavorful with the chutney an excellent compliment of tart spice. Yummy! My husband had Winter squash tortellini that was delicious. And then there’s dessert. I am a creme brulee fan. I’ve ordered it in many places. This was a lovely lavender creme brulee with a perfect creamy texture. Loved it.

The next morning, we were treated to a yummy breakfast prepared by the owners of the inn. An egg dish with fresh baked banana bread and fresh fruit. It was filling and flavorful. We figured we had really scored on both of these meals. We came up here to spend the weekend relaxing and enjoying the inn and great food. So we decided to have dinner here the second night. Great decision! Beef Wellington cooked to absolute perfection. The pastry just melted in my mouth and the filet was one of the best I’ve had. My husband had salmon with English peas. The salmon was slightly crisped with tender pink meat. Of course we shared and couldn’t believe how delicious it was. For dessert, Butter chocolate torte, mascarpone cream, poached figs. Wow. Wow! WOW! Do you get my meaning?? Rich dark chocolate perfection. You just had to be there. It’s so hard to find the words.

The room was so comfortable with a beautiful river rock fireplace, lovely view, comfortable bed, LOTS of pillows and different types. Some hard, some softer, etc...They had nice, fluffy bath towels that felt good against my skin. Good assortment of shampoo, soap, etc. Large screen TV with cable, lots of movies. Phone in room (but doesn’t everyone have a cell phone now?).

I can’t say enough about this place. If you come to South Shore, don’t even think twice! Stay here, eat here! The owners are gracious and kind. The inn is beautiful and cozy. The food is indescribably good! You won’t be disappointed. I've read other reviews and understand that it's not going to be perfect for everyone, but my husband and I loved it and will be back this summer!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple