“But we need to talk food!!!!!”
Review of Black Bear Lodge

Black Bear Lodge
Reviewed April 22, 2011

We arrived at the Black Bear Inn in April. Naive and totally our issue! We wanted to see the mountains and it was neither the ski season nor the summer!!!! Our hosts wrote the week before saying they wouldn't be there. No problem and no issue!!! Kimberley and Alex rent the restaurant and stood in as hosts. They really couldn't be faulted.

I thought given the season (that I hadn't considered!) prices were v expensive.

However Alex is a gem of a cook and we had no problem with the price of a gorgeous dinner he cooked. Watch this space - this man is a talent.

• Stayed: April 2011
3  Thank Susand70
There are newer reviews for Black Bear Lodge

Reviewed March 27, 2011

Our weekend at Black Bear Inn was amazing from start to finish. We called before check-in time to see if we could come early and the friendly front desk woman invited us to come on over and check in! The Inn is close to everything...Heavenly Valley ski resort, the lake and the casinos. We arrived on a pretty stormy weekend and had the main house to ourselves. We had reserved the Washoe room but discovered that it was right off of the Great room and although the room was very nice, we prefer more privacy. We requested a change to the Sequoia room which is on the second floor with a beautiful sitting area and view of the grounds. Our request was accommodated with no problem.

The entire staff of the Black Bear Inn is class “A”. They have been friendly, always stopping to chat or offer assistance with questions about anything from other places to dine (but why would you want to eat anywhere else!) to telling about the property. And speaking of eating...I thought I had died and gone to heaven!! The first meal we had was dinner which started out with olives and delicate fresh-made, bite sized, cracker-like, melt-in-your-mouth mini pastries. The bread had a perfect crunchy crust. Then onto an appetizer of seared scallops, cauliflower puree, Parma ham, and truffle oil. This is one of their signature items and it should be. You’ll be lucky to taste this, and I don’t like scallops! The main dishes were a smoked pork chop with apple chutney, sweet potato puree (these medallions had a slight crisp on the outside and fresh sweet potato on the inside) and cider apples. So tasty...I found myself hoping I could make a pork chop that good and I’ve spent a considerable amount of time experimenting with different ways of cooking them! This was perfect! Juicy and flavorful with the chutney an excellent compliment of tart spice. Yummy! My husband had Winter squash tortellini that was delicious. And then there’s dessert. I am a creme brulee fan. I’ve ordered it in many places. This was a lovely lavender creme brulee with a perfect creamy texture. Loved it.

The next morning, we were treated to a yummy breakfast prepared by the owners of the inn. An egg dish with fresh baked banana bread and fresh fruit. It was filling and flavorful. We figured we had really scored on both of these meals. We came up here to spend the weekend relaxing and enjoying the inn and great food. So we decided to have dinner here the second night. Great decision! Beef Wellington cooked to absolute perfection. The pastry just melted in my mouth and the filet was one of the best I’ve had. My husband had salmon with English peas. The salmon was slightly crisped with tender pink meat. Of course we shared and couldn’t believe how delicious it was. For dessert, Butter chocolate torte, mascarpone cream, poached figs. Wow. Wow! WOW! Do you get my meaning?? Rich dark chocolate perfection. You just had to be there. It’s so hard to find the words.

The room was so comfortable with a beautiful river rock fireplace, lovely view, comfortable bed, LOTS of pillows and different types. Some hard, some softer, etc...They had nice, fluffy bath towels that felt good against my skin. Good assortment of shampoo, soap, etc. Large screen TV with cable, lots of movies. Phone in room (but doesn’t everyone have a cell phone now?).

I can’t say enough about this place. If you come to South Shore, don’t even think twice! Stay here, eat here! The owners are gracious and kind. The inn is beautiful and cozy. The food is indescribably good! You won’t be disappointed. I've read other reviews and understand that it's not going to be perfect for everyone, but my husband and I loved it and will be back this summer!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 22, 2011

We are thrilled to recommend the Black Bear Inn to anyone. We have stayed at the Inn previously, but returned with all our family for a beautiful Holiday Wedding this December. Jerry and Kevin and their staff treated all of our guests with perfect first-class service. The Inn delighted everyone who attended they were in awe of the delightful setting. The wedding was the absolute “tahoe” environment in the middle of December we could not have found anywhere else. The Inn really is one-of-a-kind anywhere, let alone Tahoe. The staff are all simply incredible and having stayed the entire weekend, they never missed a beat and gifted us and all our family and guests with the most perfect wedding memories. We highly recommend the Inn for any occasion, wedding, anniversary, get-away or simply the best place to stay in Tahoe. For a little taste of the picture perfect wedding at the Inn, check out these photos and thank you again Jerry, Kevin, Chef Alex and Kim, and all the staff.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank hnave
Reviewed February 5, 2011

We stayed for four nights, wish it could have been 40! Jerry and Kevin took amazing care, the food in the restaurant was outstanding and our room was just beautiful. This place has everything done, down to the T. Black Bear will now be our de-facto place to stay in South Lake Tahoe.
Thanks so much for making our vacation amazing.
Dawn and Phil

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 24, 2011

I was shocked at the way we were treated by the owners of this place. They had to close the inn due to family emergency and called us to switch our dates and gave us an upgrade for our trouble, which was great.. Then I emailed the day before just to ask about possible early check in and got a really Nasty email saying they should've canceled us in the first place! Stupidly we went to check in anyway because we had been looking forward to this stay only to find they had downgraded us back to our original room. The place is pretty on the outside but stuffy and old inside and the uglyness of the owners really takes away from the beauty of the inn.
Luckily Deerfield Lodge (right next door) had a beautifully upgraded room with 2 fireplaces and a hot tub available for $70 less than Black Bear and the owner was amazing! She even dropped off a snack tray and bottle of wine. I highly recommend Deerfield. If you are looking to stay at a small inn, customer service is huge and Black Bear needs to think twice before treating their customers like crap,

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Skyesmom3
Management response:Responded January 26, 2011

I owe her an apology. We were out of the state at my father’s funeral and her constant emails finally made me snap. I’m glad our friends next door took care of her.

Reviewed January 7, 2011

The Black Bear Inn has recently put the icing on the cake with the addition of the dining experience by Chef Alex. The Inn by itself is lovely; quiet and everything you could want for a romantic mountain experience ,and the opportunity to dine there makes it a must when you visit Lake Tahoe. The Inn staff continues to reccommend other fine dining restruants in the area and we tried several of them ,but honestly none compare to the ambiance and cuisine at the Black Bear. Do your self a favor and Don't miss it!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 27, 2010

We stayed here 2 nights over Labor Day. Lodge is upscale log-cabin decor--very inviting. We had a second floor room with a small balcony overlooking the garden and we found it very comfortable and quiet. I might go for one of the cabins if I were staying there longer. The hosts were very pleasant and the breakfasts gourmet. We also had dinner there one night and it was outstanding. Enjoyed visiting with other guests over wine and cheese in the late afternoons.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple