“Fresh and comfortable but noisy” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Basecamp South Lake Tahoe

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Basecamp South Lake Tahoe
Ranked #12 of 66 Hotels in South Lake Tahoe
Guildford, United Kingdom
“Fresh and comfortable but noisy”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013

We chose Basecamp because of the good ratings and fresh look. The concept is great and makes a real change from the usual hotel/motels available out there. Rooms are basic but comfortable with everything you should need. No refrigerator in the room but do provide you with a cooler box a plenty ice available so no loss. Really loved the hotel lobby, bar and dinning room area. We only had one issue with this hotel and saw that some previous guests experienced a similar problem. It can be very noisy depending on you room location and fellow guests. Unfortunately the rooms are not well sound proofed and we had a group of or large French speaking family with kids who continuously ran up and down the corridors, slammed doors and seemed to be jumping from the beds onto the floors. This continued up until about 10pm every night. This is not a fault with the hotel though but inconsiderate guests who cannot control their children.

Room Tip: Try get a room on the top floor if you have an issue with noise and are a light sleeper like me.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

First and foremost-this place is a break from the foresty lodgelike resorts and casinos. It kind of reminds me of a cool retro motor motel from the 70's, with more modern touches. What is helpful is its in a great location which is pretty much off the CA/NV stateline. You can walk blocks to the nearest beachfront and blocks to popular shopping areas and casinos. Basecamp is definitely ideal if you are in town to gamble or see a show.

We had a Queen Room. Spacious Room, comfortable beds, flat screen TV, closet and small bathroom. I am not sure i'd recommend this type of room for more than 2 people unless you were traveling with a baby.

THERE IS NO A/C BUT JUST A HEADS UP WE STAYED AT 3 HOTELS WHILE IN LAKE TAHOE AND NOT ONE HAD A/C. THIS IS COMPLETELY NORMAL!

This location is not why i fell in love with the hotel, it is the attention they paid to detail when decorating the rooms and lobby. The lobby is very welcoming with it's own flare of outdoor decor. They have a full service bar with local craft beer on tap ( a little pricey but hey i'm on vacation) The is communal breakfast if you RSVP. Staff was super friendly as they were sitting in the lobby . Before we arrived one of the staff sent us a personal email recommending places to rent SUP and bikes. There is a firepit outside and a hottub up on top of the outdoor patio. Parking is a bit tight but nonetheless we found one everytime.

i'd stay here again, hope this helps!

Room Tip: All the rooms seemed to be in a great location
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank cchivian
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

Basecamp has it all! I choose Basecamp because it was number 1 on Tripadvisor. They were not wrong. I have not one single complaint. I stayed in late May. I enjoyed the location, the staff, the fire pit, happy hour and the communal dinner.
I had an issue with my expensive camera lens. I mentioned it in passing to Dave(I think, sorry if I'm wrong) and went out to sit by the fire pit and mope. A few minutes passed and he brought me the lens from his expensive camera and said I could borrow it while I was staying there. He followed it up with local recommendations of great places for sunrise/set photos.
If I am lucky enough to be in S. Lake Tahoe again, I will not even consider staying anywhere else.

Room Tip: Parking is a little limited so, park early and walk the town for restaurants and shopping if you can...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank HumbleHomo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

This hotel is fantastic. The rooms are trendy, modern and comfortable. It was our honeymoon and we found a bottle of champagne in our room waiting for us. The staff are really friendly and happy to give out advice about where to go. They give you free beach passes (which is about 5-10 minute walk away) and 15% discount at The Beachfront Cafe. There is no air-con but there are fans in the rooms and the temperature drops at night anyway. We had to ask for extra pillows but they were happy to get them for us.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lisa A
Nortre Califonkneeonee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

For the money it is worth it except on a rare hot Lake Tahoe day (there is no A/C just fans). I paid with Tax like $111 for the place. It's right next to the Casino's but was quiet. It is an excellent refit of an older hotel. It comes off with a hip young adult air. Has it's own beer and wine bar and nice Jacuzzi set up. Being 60, bearded grizzly Adams look I did not fit in I think and told the was a extra $100 hold, being warned not to trash the hotel nor smoke pot which I advised them with a mischievous look, "Oh I hadn't done in years". Told them I had been up to see Jeff Bridges and the Adbiders which seemed to win me some respect points.The young management team did a great job, things handled quickly and well. There were some families with kids there- never heard a peep out of them. Young hipsters were at the bar or outside patio and they were a quiet lot too.

They also offer free access to the beach on Lake Tahoe a short walk away and that is a big deal folks- most Tahoe beaches are private and padlocked. I had coffee and skipped the carb oriented breakfast, which looked clean and well stocked.

For what I am paying out (cheap), location, clean, nice perks I had to rate it high- but will skip it on a hot day and suggest you do too!.

Room Tip: Pick a cool day- in general hotel well shaded
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank ManOfC0nstantS0rr0w
san francisco CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

I really like the feel and attitude of this hotel. Yes it's basic - but I don't need a fridge or coffee maker in my room. The staff couldn't be friendlier - always willing to give suggestions and recommendations. The pros: very clean rooms, great shower, low price, smores kits. Cons: no A/C (we didn't need it - we used the fan and kept the sliding door open. The night air - even in August kept the room very cool. I guess on a warm night, no A/C could be an issue); the bathroom was a bit dark - but who wears much make-up in Tahoe? The bed was a bit soft for my taste; There is no elevator, and the altitude made me winded as we climbed to our third floor room, but really not a big deal. Yes, breakfast is basic but we prefer going to the Red Hut for breakfast anyway. We will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: I think the extra cost for a balcony room is worth it. The room is a bit larger and the sliding doo...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JM1051
Fresno, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

Our room was very clean and looked very new. Our room was on the smaller size, no couch (just one chair and a table) no microwave or refrigerator, and no air conditioning (there was a ceiling fan and a floor fan) Room was very basic, but a clean room was all we wanted after a tiring day at the lake, and of course warm shower.

Parking is tight, just enough spots and if you have to park at the covered lot and you have a big vehicle, good luck! Don't count on the free breakfast, there weren't much stuff and honestly some of the pastries were dry from being outside for too long.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family