“Awesome” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 72 Hotels in South Lake Tahoe
Paignton, United Kingdom
“Awesome”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013 via mobile

Arrived early and got to check-in straight away as our room was ready. The lad behind the desk was very helpful with things to see and do in and around the area. The location is fantastic, in a very quiet location, just 5 minute walk from the beach which you get free access to as a hotel guest (otherwise $5/person) and the same from Heavenly village and the Gondola which goes to the top of the mountain. Also the casinos of South Lake Tahoe are just minutes away too. The rooms though quite small have everything we needed...king bed/tv/bathroom with walk-in shower/storage. There was also a ceiling fan which was very much needed, as whilst we were there they were in the middle of a heat wave, they also provided an extra standing fan for each room whilst we were there. There is a spa on the roof of reception which was very nice but no pool.
They provide complimentary continental breakfast and free wifi.
Can't recommend this place highly enough!!

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank billybelly1973

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights in June room 320 and I have to say it is a top notch stay. Huge room, very well equipped, clean, new, fresh, I could go on and on. They have spec'd it out to a very high standard.
The place offers a free healthy breakfast, free WIFI and a happy hour at the bar. it is central (small walk) to everything being right on the state line. The best bit is the price of the rooms. I will not stay anywhere else if I return to Tahoe (winter or summer) and wish them all the best on their new(ish) venture.

1 Thank Karl M
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at basecamp from Wednesday to Friday and the first thing to mention is the price. At $109 a night I was expecting a flee ridden motel, but Basecamp has exceptional interior and exterior decor. It is a really quirky boutique hotel at an incredibly reasonable price.

My favorite part if the stay was get hearing round the fire put and making smores with all the other guests.

The whole place is geared up to the communal with a really nice front desk and lounge area.

Plus the breakfasts are great. Granola, porridge oats, pastries, orange juice. A great way to start the day.

And if you don't know what to do with your day the staff are super helpful. The helped me and my buddy rent mountain bikes and plot a course that was just great.

I will definitely be staying again.

• Stayed June 2013
Twickenham, London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

This is a great spot right on the California - Nevada State line. It's been newly refurbished and is a great locale for touring the Lake. It's also very close to what could be considered the active centre of South Lake Tahoe.

The place has been given a funky face lift and it's been done really well. the rooms are well appointed and have all the facilities you need. This is not a Hilton (and frankly it's probably better than some of the Hiltons Iv'e stayed in), it's a converted Motel but with the decor and facilities it doesn't feel like a motel, it feels like a hotel with a reasonable (and free) car park in it. So do not expect a swanky dining room for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Breakfast is a simple affair but ok none the less. I didn't make use of the Hot Tub but I did use the bar and while its the smallest bar in the world it's well stocked and a great little spot for an unwind. I didn't do the S'more's either but I watched a group of ladies eat their own body weight in the things, so they are clearly good. The fire pit outside is a great place to sit and finish an evening off.

What really makes this place are the staff! Super friendly, super chatty and just really relaxed, nothing is too much trouble. They really did make this a great stay (I'm sorry Chicago didn't win the Ice hockey by the way).

I didn't give it an excellent, for one reason only! We where in room 225 which meant we had a room above us. The insulation between our room and the room above doesn't hide the noise very well, or indeed at all. So here is my tip, if your booking in here get a room on the top floor (there are only 2 floors).

Overall a great location, a great stay and amazing staff.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the 3rd floor! It will stop you worrying about getting a heard of elephants stamped...
cbrazas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

I was only able stay at Basecamp for one night; I wish I could have stayed longer. The rooms are clean. The bar, hot tub, and patio are great. Breakfast was one of the best parts. From the service to decor, I loved everything about this hotel. I'm amazed the hotel is so affordable. Without hesitation I would stay at Basecamp again if I were in Tahoe.

Phoenix, Arizona, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

Found this small remodeled motel on TA... it is on Stateline, across from the casinos. The rooms are nice, clean, beds are comfy, flat screen TV's... The staff are nice and friendly, small little bar with happy hour and good micro brew on tap...a welcoming lobby that begs folks to kick back and visit, Just a cool kick back place that you will like. The continental breakfast and coffee were good too!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

I was staying at another hotel in Lake Tahoe and a friend was staying at Base Camp and showed me around. After this "tour" I promptly switched hotels. The front desk clerk was hugely helpful in holding the room for me while I cancelled my 4 night stay at one of the Hotel Casinos.

I had a great experience for the 2 nights that I stayed here. Great staff and great surroundings. The continental breakfast was great, always stocked and the food was reliably good. The room was clean and regularly cleaned while I was there. Fit and finish of the place is like a Restoration Hardware showroom, modern industrial yet simple and cozy. The staff was helpful in making my stay enjoyable, while I was lounging in the lobby I was asked many times if they could help me with anything or change the TV to a channel I wanted. They went out of their way many times to improve my experience. The little bar, the hot tub and the community room made it feel less like a hotel and more like a residence. It was a great time and I will stay there every time I visit south lake in the future.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends