“Basecamp is the only place to stay in Tahoe”

Basecamp South Lake Tahoe
Ranked #14 of 65 Hotels in South Lake Tahoe
Reviewed November 16, 2012

What a wonderful experience. The Basecamp team has really stepped up the level of quality hotels in Tahoe. I loved the look and feel and the staff was always there to take care of anything you needed. They have some fun "themed" rooms and the location of the hotel is a 5 min walk to the Heavenly gondola as well the beach. If you're not staying at Basecamp you're not at the right place.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed November 16, 2012

enjoyed a few days at base camp. loved the vibe. one of the most comfortable beds i've enjoyed in a long while. simple and well done. i will return and will send friends. was bummed they were out of the cool t-shirts.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 10, 2012

Myself and my other half recently returned from a 9 day stay at this hotel during October and I can honestly say it was one of the most memorable stays I have ever had at a hotel in the United States, we really did love everything about this place!

First of all the staff seemed very enthusiastic about the hotel. They were also very keen to help in any way they could and were knowledgeable about things to do in the area.

The lodging itself is in the style of a motel and is very well suited to those people on outdoor based trips such as skiing due to the external access corridors to rooms and racks to store skis outside the rooms. The décor is stylish and has an extremely relaxed, modern and cozy feel to it.

Our room was spacious, spotlessly presented and the décor fun. The bed was comfortable and the heater in the room ensured we were never cold (a big deal when it’s -11 outside). There was also plenty of room to store and hang all of our clothing and a coat rack which also proved to be useful. Our room had a balcony with Adirondack chairs and was a pleasant area to spend time.

Other amenities in the room included digital clock with ipod adapter, cable television, a small cooler for traveling and a small kettle. The bathroom also ticked all the boxes for us with a nice hot shower and plenty of towels, including a face towel specifically for makeup removal. There was also a hairdryer and shampoo, shower gel and conditioner dispensers were provided in the shower.

Breakfast each morning consisted of granola and several varieties of oatmeal, bagels, cream cheese, yoghurt, dried fruit and their own fantastic orange frosted pastries which we found addictive as well as teas, coffee and orange juice.

The lobby of the hotel was very cozy with a small bar, two large sofas and TV screens. We ended up spending several nights here having local ales in their small bar instead of heading to the other bars in town. There is a rooftop hot tub and outdoor fire pit and s’more kits are available at reception, however we unfortunately never took advantage of these facilities.
The location of the hotel is very convenient with the casinos and heavenly village/ski gondola being a less than 5 minute walk.

Overall, a fantastic experience and somewhere we would highly recommend!! Can’t wait to return at some stage! :-)

Room Tip: Try and get a room with a balcony!
1  Thank Kirstine M
Reviewed November 6, 2012

So since I used tripadvisor to book my stay at Basecamp it made sense for me to do a review about this charming place. My husband and I went for my birthday weekend just for a night...I wish we could have stayed a couple more. I'm not sure exactly why (I think there may have been an issue with the dates for the room) but we got an upgrade to the Penthouse for no additional cost. =) The customer service was amazing, the whole vibe of the place was charming and comfortable. Plus, the bed was super comfy...the room was exceptionally clean...the shower stayed hot forever and we loved the location. It was a very nice change to stay there than at a casino or other hotel. This will for sure be the place we stay anytime we're in Tahoe.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 29, 2012

I love that the little hotels on the strip are starting to step it up a notch rather than die out. I was looking for a charming place with some personality for a night in Tahoe. Basecamp fit the bill. They had clean cute rooms, a warm inviting lobby and enough to do that you don't even want to cross the street and go to Harvey's casino next door. We enjoyed the little bar in the lobby watched the Giants game on the big couch and met new people. They also had a fire pit and smores on the deck as well as a hot tub and bikes you could take out to ride around town. All for about $30.00 cheaper than the Marriot, Embassy Suites and Casino hotels in the area. The hotel also seemed to be full on like minded people looking for a similar experience.

1  Thank Jenn259
Reviewed October 22, 2012

I was really pleased to come across Basecamp hotel on my most recent trip to the lake. The front desk staff were all very accommodating and helpful. I was able to meet the new general manager of the property and he was able to walk me around the grounds and show me some of the different rooms. It was nice to find out that they are focusing their attention to the outdoor enthusiasts. The place is walking to distance to some top notch casinos. Which is nice to be so close to them, but not exactly having to stay in the casino's hotel. The beds are extremely comfortable by the way! Which was definitely the icing on the cake. I absolutely feel like I had gotten good value for my dollar staying here. I will most definitely return to Basecamp Tahoe!

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Simple but comfortable with good, rustic design. Great location, walking distance to heavenly village and casinos, easy drive to great hikes, and scenic emerald cove. Front desk staff was great, friendly, great recommendations on what to do in the area. You can tell they love Lake Tahoe and they want visitors to enjoy. The only thing we would have liked is a fridge in the room. Overall great value.

Room Tip: Don't spend extra for the fireplace, rooms are warm, we didn't really use it in spite of col...