“Affordable for a reason”
Review of Blue Jay Lodge

Blue Jay Lodge
Ranked #43 of 66 Hotels in South Lake Tahoe
“Affordable for a reason”
Reviewed November 12, 2013

Booked this online with Expedia, a spur of the moment trip we decided to take on the Veteran's Day weekend. Was the cheapest, and after our arrival we understood why. Is an older lodge type facility, obviously family-run. Very friendly desk personnel, even gave us a greater discount than advertised as we had to wait a little bit to check in(they had some computer issues). Very dingy accommodations, wrinkled sheets, curtains, etc. Clean, to a point...the carpets were ancient, and the furnishings were from the 60s or 70s. For $27 a night, I really wasn't expecting much. Had a nice functioning mini fridge and microwave in the room. Had some safety issues in that the outlet under the headboard was missing the outlet cover (had to use it to plug in something as outlets were sparse). The breakfast was sad, only cereal and donuts, and no staff in the area.

If I were to return to the area I would stay elsewhere, and there are TONS of places to chose from (it was our first, but not last trip to Lake Tahoe).

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank collinsml

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Modesto, California
Reviewed November 6, 2013

Last weekend I stayed in Lake Tahoe Ca at this Hotel, the reservations were set for me. I was given a room in the back of the Hotel, nasty. The Hotel room had plaster on the walls from previous wholes and no paint just plaster. The carpet was so old it was spreading apart all over the carpet. I did not stay there. I actually got a room at the Holiday Inn Express while everyone in our group may have stayed there. Not nice.

Room Tip: No Restaurant or Fitness center, the back part of the Hotel is real scary like homeless people all o...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Ronald A

Travelers are raving about these South Lake Tahoe hotels

Waterloo, Ontario
Reviewed October 23, 2013

I guess we got lucky - no horror stories to share. Stayed four nights at a bargain rate from Expedia, with small fridge, microwave, coffee maker. Wifi and TV worked, bathroom clean and water hot. Large storage closet was very helpful for our climbing gear. Yes, the breakfast kind of sucks, no protein sources to be found, but that is hardly unusual for a motel complimentary breakfast. Would have no problem staying again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank ClimbnRide
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed October 11, 2013

Ok where do I start. We checked in late friday night. This place is a two building set up. The front looks nice but the back building beware. Had to drive around the block to access it. Open door and flipped light switch, nothing. Wandered through the dark room to find a light that worked. Only light that work was bathroom light. The room was GROSS. It had old shag carpet from the 60's. Lamps did not work, holes in the walls, towels had stains on them and the sitting chair looked like someone gave birth on it with all the nasty stains on it. I would not take my socks off in the room, I felt like I might catch or step on something buried in the shag carpet. The tv was very small and circa 1990. The walls are paper thin and if anyone was above you can hear there every movement (2am). It felt like an old horror movie hotel room that people get murdered in or abducted. Beware Beware. Find out where you room is located before booking. The front area building looked decent but the back is scary.

Room Tip: Stay in another hotel.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank steve s
Pittsburg, CA
Reviewed October 2, 2013

We stayed at the Blue Jay this past weekend. Be forewarned that there are two parts to this hotel, the “front” and the “back”. We were assigned to the “back” part of the hotel on Manzanita Road. If the front part of the hotel looked beat up, the back part of the hotel was just plain scary. The walk ways were beat up, the road was dug up in some places and it was even hard to figure out where to park?!?
When we arrived to our room, it looked like it was in the middle of being remodeled. The window framings were visible??? The bed was fine, looked clean, but the other furniture was old and beat up. The bathroom was very dated, but at least it was clean.
They do provide a “breakfast” that consisted of coffee, juice, milk, cereal, fruits and some donuts. It all runs out fast and I don’t think they restock; when it’s gone, it’s gone….
I will say that for the price we paid, it was OK. Me and my wife just needed a place to sleep, not staying in the hotel for any long periods of time. If you’re a budget traveler (I am) and used to these types of hotels, then it’s fine. But if you’re the 4 star and up type traveler, stay away!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank joel1316
Wrea Green, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 1, 2013

On arrival they started to charge me a rate in excess of what I booked. When i raised this , they quickly/promptly reverted. I was aware they offered cheaper rates to other people who wanted rooms after the weekend when things were quieter. Also my booking said spa bath but i didn't have one either. Hotel pool was emptied even though next door was ok and the afternoon temps were 85-90. So overall I felt short changed.

Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Larry M
Wimberley, Texas
Reviewed September 29, 2013

Before we confirmed the reservation, Hotwire stated this property was comparable to a few well known U.S. budget hotel chains, which was fine for this trip. However, the room was less than expected with a really bad smell. Since it was paid for in advance with no refund, stayed there, but won't again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends