“Cheap and close to the Action!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Alpine Inn & Spa

Alpine Inn & Spa
Ranked #35 of 66 Hotels in South Lake Tahoe
San Jose
“Cheap and close to the Action!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2008

Rolled into Sth Lake Tahoe Fri night for some boarding with a couple friends.

We always drive down the main drag to the Casinos, then head a block off the main road to all the bargain hotels.

We found this one, and I was amazed when I was told the nightly rate was $40!! We just needed a place to sleep the night so what a bargain! The girl at the front desk even cranked up the hot tub for us (it takes 30 mins to get warm). Room wasn't the Ritz, but as a place to lay ur head for the night, and walking distance from the casinos for that price - can't beat it.

Will definitely stay there again.

Not a place to bring ur gf, but for the guys, perfect.

• Liked — Cheap! Close to Casinos and downtown Sth Lake.
  • Disliked — Rooms were kinda old and little dirty. TV was ancient.
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
1 Thank NABSanJose

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2007

Stayed there in August, after several days of camping. Very nice place not much more expensive than a campground, less than $50 for 2 queens with AC. A bargain compared to similar hotels in the area. Oldish but management tries hard to keep you happy. Rena (the manager) was very helpful with area bargains and sights.

Stayed August 2007
San Francisco
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2006

This is an old 1* motel located right by Harveys Casino. I got a bargain rate of $32 for a midweek summer stay. Since there were no queen bed rooms available, I was upgraded to a spa room for this price. The proprietors are friendly and do a good job maintaining this old property. You get passes to a private beach when checking in.

There were a few amenities in the room: microwave, refrigerator, good cable TV, phone, and shampoo. There was a chest of drawers but no closet space. There was no A/C but the open windows and ceiling fan did a reasonable job of cooling down the room. There was also a soiled chair that should be thrown out. The room was small and the spa bath took up nearly half of the room. There was some mildew on the grout fot the bath so I only used the shower. Otherwise the room was clean. The bathroom had some peeling paint but was otherwise ok. The biggest problem that I had was the noise. The soundproofing was poor and you will definitely hear your upstairs neighbors as well as people coming and going from the casinos at all hours. Unfortunately there were some people partying from 4 am to 5 am! If you are looking for a very cheap room and pack some earplugs, though, this isn't bad compared to some of the other options.

• Stayed August 2006
    • Check in / front desk
2 Thank giantsfan2

Travelers are raving about these South Lake Tahoe hotels

Vallejo, CA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2006

My recent stay at the Alpine Inn & Spa proves the challenge in finding clean, quite and reasonably priced rooms in the South Lake Tahoe (Stateline) area. The Traveler's Discount Guide listed this and 2 other properties at special coupon rates. One look, and I passed on the dumpy Rodeway Inn which was about a block ahead of Alpine Inn on Stateline Blvd. Checking in after midnight w/o reservation, I was promptly and courteously greeted by a gentleman staffer. I asked to see one of the rooms, but he declined saying that it was too late. I decided to upgrade to the in-room spa ($45 w/ coupon midweek). Tired after attending a reggae concert in Tahoe City, I paid and quickly took the key to rm # 105 and was issued a remote control for the TV. Once inside the room, I immediately had second thoughts. The spa tub had soap residue rings and an accessory piece fallen loose in the tub. The lone chair in the room adjacent to the spa was heavily soiled and I didn't dare sit in it. The tiny room had an overall unclean feel to it. There was no cooling unit, so I had to open the windows. This was a problem, because then I heard people coming and going at all hours. Luckily, I was real tired. Minimal comfort and amenities here. No free continental breakfast, only coffee. While I didn't use their small outdoor pool, it ironically looked the cleanest and most inviting place of the whole property. Be sure to check out by 11 am, as I was called at 10:45 with this reminder. The Alpine Inn & Spa is favorably located near the Stateline casinos and the beach (approx 3 blocks to each). If you plan on walking to the beach at the end of Stateline Blvd., be sure to ask the front desk for beach access passes, as they are required for entrance (front desk didn't tell me this). If I had to do it again, I probably woulda just plunked down another $40-$60 for a room at one of the big casino properties.

• Stayed June 2006
2 Thank 707thecode
benicia,calif
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2004

This motel should be rated by this forum in the top 10 motels in lake tahoe. We have stayed here many times over the years and it is a very CLEAN @ NICE place. John the owner is a great guy, and irene and roni are very nice people. Rooms are clean, linens were great, and rooms are warm in the winter. The pool is just fine and the spa is great in the summer. these people really go to great lenght's to help their guest's, and treat everybody so nice, i will stay here as long as it is run by these people. We tryed the place next door once, and also the place up the street that has 17 room's, and they were both terrible, and not a place i would stay again. Give this place a try and i don't think you will be disappointed. The lake is 1 block from here. and the golf course too.

14 Thank nickent55
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2004

Well, what can I say. When making the reservations, the clerk, Jonathan, was very accommodating. I explained that we were coming to Tahoe for our 20th Wedding Anniversary. He told me he would give us his 2nd favorite room because the favorite room is reserved for 2 weeks - good sign - I thought. All I expected was a clean room, not the Hilton, just clean and sanitary. We checked in, immediately went to run around Tahoe, came back for a quick shower. Well, the "spa" in the "spa room" didn't have a door - the shower curtain was approx. 2 ft. away from the "spa tub", needless to say, water on the floor. That was OK, cleaned up easily. Luckily I brought my own iron - when turned on, lights would dim, then the smoke alarm kept beeping. Of course, all of these are easy to handle. Then the main problem - when the guests upstairs flushed the toilet, the toilet leaked a constant mist in our bathroom! HOW GROSS CAN THAT BE!! ALL OVER MY TOOTHBRUSH!!! I immediately called the front desk, of course, no answer. I then went to the front desk. Told Jonathan that this room is totally unacceptable and that we are leaving and wanted a refund - I was told no. (He also told me I should have called - told him I did - no answer) Company policy is no refunds (no wonder). He was sure eager to run my credit card the Friday before we arrived (which as Saturday). But, if I wanted to wait for 1 week (until Saturday) I can call and speak to someone else who would refund all of my money, plus some. Don't think so! I have stayed at the Hilton for less than $134.00 - all I wanted was a clean - sanitary room. Needless to say, we won't be back, immediately called our bank, as well as the Code Enforcement and Health Department. Not a place I would recommend!

• Stayed September 2004
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2004

I was amazed at how well the manager handled the people who were not happy...she was very calm and did what she could. and all before I even checked in to my room. I stayed in a spa room which was very clean and romantic. We had a wonderful valentine's day. Although the pool was frozen (it is winter) the outdoor spa was also an added pleasure. the price was inexpensive, most places were charging double what we paid and were no better. the location is fabulous. Irene was fantastic.

16 Thank A TripAdvisor Member