“Great location, average room”

Best Western Station House Inn
Ranked #12 of 66 Hotels in South Lake Tahoe
London, United Kingdom
“Great location, average room”
Reviewed September 17, 2012

I stayed here with a group of friends back in September 2011 and have to say its a great location for the Lake. You are also close to the town centre.

The breakfast was average and so were the rooms. There was a nice pool and hot tub outside, although the both needed cleaning.

Overall I would stay here again as the price and location were very good. Hopefully they will clean the pool and update the rooms.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Manchestter, Englaned
Reviewed September 10, 2012

This is our second visit to this hotel. We chose a great week to go, Labour day fireworks on the beach, absolutely fantastic. Hotel great, rooms adequate, great service at reception, breakfasts very busy, but worth the wait. Location, walkable to Heavenly and the beach, loads of places to eat within walking distance. Pool small and very busy. Great for both families and couples.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
bay area, ca
Reviewed September 7, 2012

I've stayed here numerous times and have always enjoyed my visits. Rooms are nice and the food and staff in the breakfast room are excellent. My gripe today is with a very unprofessional front desk person who checked me in this afternoon. I emailed the hotel a week prior for a top floor (those have the new TVs) but I think there was a mix up and ground floor may have been noted instead. When I arrived the clerk assigned me a ground floor. I mentioned that I'd really like a top floor instead. She looked annoyed and said I had asked for a ground floor. I said no, a top floor. She argued with me some more and I couldn't believe it! If the rooms were sold out that's one thing. But she was just giving me a hard time. Finally she gave me keys for a top floor but said something about my reservations saying ground floor. I just signed the paperwork, thanked her and walked away. Really, someone needs some customer service training. The room is clean, we got our flat screen TV and my family is enjoying the pool now. We were here a few months ago and had the free breakfast. Nice servers with good selection of breakfast options.

• Stayed September 2012
Eric E, General Manager at Best Western Station House Inn, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
I would like to apologize for the way my front desk handled her self this is not exceptable behavier and I asure you I will be looking into this matter too find out what happened. Once again I am very sorry this is not way I want my desk clerks behaving or treating our guests.
San Francisco, California
Reviewed September 4, 2012

A friend told me about the Station House Inn Catchers, saying they have people to catch you at check in when you hear the words, "Breakfast is ... made to order." You will be so impressed, you will faint.

Everyone raves about the included breakfast and it's not bad - it's just your average breakfast. It's the convenience of being able to get breakfast before heading out for the day that's really a perk. The restaurant is clean and warm and the staff is friendly. It's a great way to kick off the day. We arrived at 8am every day and never had to wait.

Our room for 4 was tiny. We had two double beds. Usually a room for 4 included two queen size beds, but because our room was so small, two doubles is all that could fit.

Our closet was tiny, with room for only one suitcase. The rest of our luggage was all over our room, making the room seem smaller still.

The one big negative for us was the lack of usable wifi. The free wifi provided by the Station House Inn was so weak as to be unusable. Instead, we used our phones as wifi hotspots and even went to the nearby Starbucks for some wifi with our coffee. If we were to be stuck in our teeny tiny room, at least let us see the virtual world via some wifi. Come on, Station House Inn, bring on the wifi!

Room Tip: We happened to see a room with bunk beds. If you have kids, try to get one of those rooms!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Wilmslow, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 30, 2012

My fiance and I were getting married in Lake Tahoe, so thank goodness we found this place. We, along with my parents and my fiances parents were staying here for three nights. Upon arrival, we were happy with our decision. The hotel is in a good location, within walking distance to a private beach, the tahoe gondola, heavenly village, plenty of restaurants and the tahoe queen. The rooms are quite small but clean and well kept. There is a nice little pool and hot tub. The restaurant offers some lovely food and a wide range of wine and for me, the breakfast was amazing! What I have to really comment on here though is the service...generally from the staff but primarily the manager. After a fantastic wedding day, we had a problem with collecting our wedding certificate (very stressful as we were leaving the next day!). After hearing us disussing this in the reception area, the manager told me who to contact, let me use the reception phone and did everything he could to help us to resolve the situation and thank goodness...it worked....what a star. And to top things off, after collecting the wedding certificate and returning to the room, a bottle of champagne was delivered from the manager as a congratulations...how sweet. It genuinely made our time at lake tahoe special. Thank you. :)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
san francisco
Reviewed August 25, 2012

We stayed here for one night and it was clean and close to a private beach you have access to. We used the hot tub also. My only negative comment is the waiting in line for the breakfast. This is not the typical best western breakfast buffet. It was in the adjacent restaurant and we had to wait over 30 minutes to get our name on the list and many people left the line not wanting to wait. So if you are in a hurry to get out, this is not the place to have a quick place to grab a bite, you need more than an hour for the breakfast. Also we were reminded repeatedly to tip the waiters.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sltravel
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed August 23, 2012

We stopped to regroup after 2200 miles before descending to a round of visits in San Francisco. After crossing Utah and Nevada, Lake Tahoe was a veritable oasis. The hotel/motel is a few blocks off the main drag and nestled among some pines. 70's vintage, good landscaping with restaurant adjoining (LewMarNel's) where breakfasts are served (part of lodging price but do not forget the tip). Pool-cabana complex leading into restaurant/bar. The appearance is ski motel of the 70. While it was a hot day in the 80's the environs were cool due to the pines and th A/C worked well. The room was tight for the price and we could not imagine 2 people with ski's and baggage fitting into the comfortably.
We had dinner at the restaurant: food was great, wine list was extensive, service was exquisite
and the bill ran $60/person with the cheapest wine.

Next day we walked to the shopping mall and bought tickets to the Gondola ride 3000' to the top with prepaid lunch tickets. These saved us about 50% on the cost of food (About $17 vs $45 w/o prepay for ski chow and one split of wine). The observation point is a necessary stop because the end of the ride is nestled in a small valley w/o an overlook. Hiking trails/ski runs point to Nevada or Californa- you have your choice. After coming down an the last ride (5pm) we wandered thru the art/jewelry shops and came home to a private wine and chese from the local Safeway - better than the one at home!). Nevada gaming?: that's for the next trip!

Room Tip: I would ask for the 2nd floor walk up and back: no parking lot and less people traffic.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple