“Overall OK, But Things to Be Aware Of” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Park Tahoe Inn

Park Tahoe Inn
Ranked #33 of 72 Hotels in South Lake Tahoe
Washington state
“Overall OK, But Things to Be Aware Of”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

THE GOOD: Clean, recently remodeled, very friendly staff, very convenient to shopping, restaurants, casinos. Not too far from lake. The Tempurpedic beds were wonderful. Short drive to lots of hiking trails, view points, etc.

THE BAD: Their web site says it's a hotel, that is outright untrue. This is a motel, not an inn, not a hotel, there is absolutely no other way to define it. We are at a point in our lives where we can afford decent (nothing super fancy) hotel rooms. We left the motels behind years ago, thank goodness! Staying here reminded me of the days when we couldn't afford much above a Motel 6 level. It has been recently remodeled, and is by far one of the nicest motels in the area, but it's the classic, old motel design - 2 floors with all outside rooms. The rooms are really small with barely a path around the beds, no separate seating area, not even a small table, old thin metal windows that let all the noise in, there was no bathtub, just a tiny shower with a door that didn't seal so water leaked all over the bathroom floor. The toilet wasn't fastened to the floor so it shifted and thumped against the ceramic tile floor every time we sat down! We requested it be fixed the 1st day, 5 days later it still hadn't been fixed when we checked out, all it would have taken is tightening a few nuts on it for goodness sakes! Their web site says they're 2 blocks from Lake Tahoe, that's untrue, they are 5-6 blocks. Not a huge deal, but is a little bit of a walk if you have your arms full of items for playing in the lake. The pool & spa were shut down by the health department, according to the notice the health department posted, this was the 2nd time. Despite the health department not clearing the pool & spa for use, on Friday when the hotel filled up management told guests, including 2 families we talked with and my adult daughter, that even though the health department warning was still posted, the pool was OK to use. Unbelievably parents didn't question this and allowed their kids in! The health department's closure notice disappeared off the pool gate in the middle of the night on Friday (after the health department office had closed for the weekend), then "magically" reappeared on the pool gate Monday morning prior to the health department arriving to inspect again. Only given one soap at a time, if you want one for the shower and one for the bathroom sink you have to make a special request! Web site says refreshments in the lobby, our entire stay we never saw anything but coffee, not even muffins or bagels in the morning. Oh, and no microwave, which was extremely irritating. I'm not trying to sound whiny, we really aren't used to staying in super fancy places, but all of the little things added up too much for me to let all this go.

Absolutely LOVED South Lake Tahoe area and highly recommend it. We will definitely be back, but not to this motel.

• 5 of 5 stars
2 Thank woodneal
Joshua A, Manager at Park Tahoe Inn, responded to this review, August 31, 2012
Thank you very much for your review. I am extremely sorry for the issue with the toilet in your room not being repaired during your stay. We take all room issues very seriously, and I will make sure this is corrected immediately.
In regards to the pool closure signage, I would like to clarify to ensure other guests do not feel that we were misleading our guests, or putting guests or their children in danger. The pool was closed for the fact that there was a lapse in our permit for the pool. The water was not unhealthy or in any way at incorrect chemical levels. On Friday the 24th of August, I went down to the water district office and paid for the permit, deaming the pool authorized to be swam in. Unfortunately, the health inspector was not able to return to remove the sign until Monday morning. My staff unknowingly removed the sign on Friday night because the pool was reopened. Upon my arrival Monday morning to the hotel, I realized this and immediately placed the sign back up. In no way was I doing this to deceive the health department as stated in this review, my reputation as a manager and the fees of such actions are not worth the risk.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

To start out the lady day time worker is very mean but the works in the evening are very nice. We had booked 2 rooms and we got them right next to each other and then we discovered that one of the rooms had bugs in the bed so we had to change rooms at midnight so they gave us a new room next door. The rooms were very tiny. The carpet had many gross and disgusting stains on them. The bathroom was also tiny and they only had a standing shower which was very difficult for the kids. The internet is very,very,very bad. It took forever to even open up Google. The television remote didn't work so well but it did have all the good channels like Disney, Nick, ABC Family, Spike, and even FX. But the only thing good was the location and that is because it is near the lake.

• 5 of 5 stars
2 Thank Kajal P
Joshua A, Manager at Park Tahoe Inn, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Thank you very much for your review. We typically get great reviews in regards to all of our staff, so I am sorry to hear you had an unpleasant experience with one of my staff members in the morning. I can assure you this is not typical behavior from any of my staff members, and would not be tolerated had I been aware of your experience. I am very glad that my staff in the evening was able to resolve your room issue, and get you moved into a satisfactory room. We have gone through and cleaned all of the carpets in the hotel in getting ready for the busy winter months to come. The rooms absolutely take a beating during the busy summer months, and along with my new housekeeping manager, we are putting measures into place to make sure problems like stains on the carpet are addressed immediately as to not inconvenience the next guest who has the pleasure of staying in the room. Thank you again very much for your feedback.

Travelers are raving about these South Lake Tahoe hotels

Toronto
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

There is a big discrepancy between the online portrayal of this property and the real thing. It is a motel. You drive up to your room. I never even saw the pool and completely forgot about it, especially as the front-desk clerk never mentioned it when I checked in. One of the reasons I booked this "hotel" is because of the jacuzzi but I never actually used it.

The lampshades in our room were cracked and the space was dark and dingy. The room smelled unpleasant and reminded me of shoddy motels I have had to stay in when there were no other options. The fridge hummed all night.

The location is good and bad--across from the lovely village (where I WISH we had stayed) yet right on a highway. This place really made me long for the Marriott.

I was very glad that we only stayed for one night.

Room Tip: There was a fitness centre?
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Annika H
Folsom, California, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

Telephone broken! No remote for tv. The rooms share them and if they are out. oh well!! No towels. After we walked to front desk to get them we were told they were brand new and that is why they were not in room yet. But they all had old stains on them. So clearly not new towels. And they were very thin and rough. The cable was out during our stay so no tv. The pool was green and slimy bottom.GROSS!!! The hot tub had a disgusting smell coming from the jets. My son works for a pool company and says that is a sign of bacteria in the pipes DOUBLE GROSS!!! They claim that pollen in the air causes the slime and the bad smell but they have the pool cleaned every day. Riiight!!! The girl at front desk was very nice as she gave us excuse after excuse but never an apology or an offer of an upgrade or refund!! Even the good location was not worth this hotel ruining our stay!! Do not stay here!!!

Room Tip: No room is good here!!!
San Jose, California, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

too muich for what you get. the shower had mold in the shower head and ceiling. the refrigerator was damaged. the street noise was evident. and the room to room noise was only adequately dampened. If I knew the state of the room for the rate, I would have booked elsewhere. The casinos were less expensive then this place.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Crescent City, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

I was very displeased with the Park Tahoe Inn. I had large party staying there because I was getting married in Tahoe so we got a large room block. I went to the Inn before hand and was really excited about the stay. When it actually come to our stay I was not happy. It was one thing after another. The pool was out for my stay they got it up running the day I was leaving. One of my friends staying at the inn for my wedding got something stolen out of their room by one of the staff and they did nothing about it and were not very apologetic, the ice machine on our side was broken, I rented out their tamarack room and the bathroom was broke.. and this is where myself and all my bridesmaids were getting ready for the day! Many of the guests staying in our room block never got their rooms cleaned and then had to ask repeatedly for towels. I would not recommend this this place at all!!!!!!

Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Monterey Bay
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

Hotel staff seem professional. Front Office is nice. Check in process smooth...after that HORRIBLE. First room had towel bar on the floor and a hole in the wall where it used to hang. The paint was falling from the ceiling and had a moderate amount of mold. There was one towel! The one towel turned out to have a great big stain...eeeewww. Bathroom very tiny. Spots on carpet...bleh...I had to be at an event but despite 2 calls to the front desk to let them know I at least needed some towels, they never showed. On the way out to event we told the desk clerk about the room. He agreed to move us after we returned for the evening. New guy later that night, knew nothing about the move, but did find us a replacement. It turned out to be a handicap room. Bonus was the bathroom was a lot bigger..no coffee pot. I asked him if I could get the one from our first room...sure he said. I did. Then we discovered the new room had no remote. Back to the from desk I went. Sorry, we can't help you with that, you will have to wait until the morning was the response. Argh...How about getting us the one from our old room. 45 minutes later he brought it. Fast forward next day after room has been serviced. They left the coffee pot for us to clean ourselves. No wash clothes...we just shook our heads. Next day, after service...can you say gross!!! A big I don't want to know what it was stain on the bedspread...ick, plus dirt on the other end. Was not that way when we left in the a.m. They also neglected to provide us with any more disposable cups. The last straw was as we were leaving, we went to get ice to put in our water bottle...of course the machine was out. I truly do not understand how this occurs. Either the cleaning staff are paid so low that they could give a flying crap about the rooms, or no one has pride in their work, and management just figures with a place like Tahoe they will always fill up the room. Never again. I will tell anyone and everyone I know to never ever stay there...oh yea, they had the audacity to try and hit me up for the (mandatory) resort fee. After I vented, that at least was waived. I think the thing that bothered us the most is that they put us in the room in the first place. WOW

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Rodeway Inn Casino Center
#34 of 72 in South Lake Tahoe
3.5 of 5 stars 220 reviews
Americas Best Value Inn - Casino Center Lake Tahoe
Americas Best Value Inn - Casino...
#29 of 72 in South Lake Tahoe
3.5 of 5 stars 274 reviews

Been to Park Tahoe Inn? Share your experiences!