“Dated hotel”

Tahoe Beach and Ski Club
Ranked #10 of 65 Hotels in South Lake Tahoe
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed January 20, 2013

Great location right on Lake Tahoe but everything was so 1976. It must have been something when disco was on the radio and bell bottom pants were all the rage.

Seriously, the place was fine and the guy at the front desk let us check in really early. I am not a picky traveller but there's something about staying in hotel rooms that date back to the Ford Administration.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Silverwoods

Reviewed November 25, 2012

My kids and I stayed for Thanksgiving week 2012. We had requested a newly renovated suite, which they we able to accomodate. The reservation and check-in staff were wonderful. The one bedroom suite was very nice. The bed was comfortable, but the pull-out couch was...well a pull out couch. The kitchen was nice with granite countertops but did not have stove or dishwasher, We were able to make that work by revising meals to microwave based meals. The shower and bath were wonderful! The bath was very large and had bubble jets, very relaxing. The property has it's own beach that was great for walks. The swimming pool and hot tub were located right by the beach with a beautiful view of the lake. The rec room was fun for the kids. The resort is close to everything. I felt very safe there, which was important as a woman traveling with kids.

Room Tip: Request a newly renovated room
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Terrisroadtrips
Reviewed November 3, 2012

like every hotel stay, there are good experiences and bad experiences. this time, i join the side of those with bad experiences...the good about the hotel: centrally located. has a small private beach.
the bad, the check in clerk couldn't even tell us which way to come in to the building to go to our room. the staff is courteous, but they allocated accommodations based on how you book:
we booked a 1 bdrm a month prior to our arrival using diamond resort points. having read the reviews, i knew some were renovated, some were not. we arrived to check in early. a unit wasn't available, so we preregistered and came back later. during preregistration, i asked whether the hotel was full, and was told no. we went at an off time, no skiing, lifts, gondola was working... so tahoe was not at all crowded.
when i came back to check in, i was given a room in the carson building. knowing that this bldg was undergoing renovations, i asked right there if we could get another one, and was told there weren't any available, that units are given on a first come first serve basis. so much for preregistration. once we saw our room - stained carpets, smelly, dated, right next to the renovations area, my husband went to see if there was any space in bldg #5, or another building, and was told no. he was told that bldg #5 - next to the beach and pool, is the most requested by owners, and gets booked like 2 yrs in adv. and that there weren't any others available.
Not long after this, i was standing at the lobby looking for cruise info, and i overheard someone call in to request a room transfer. the clerk told him there were 2 available, and he would come over to show them, so they could choose... well.... !@#$%.
I don't know if they were owners, booked 2 yrs in adv, booked a 2 bdrm, or were cash paying customers. whatever...no need to guess whether i'd be returning to this hotel. there are plenty of other choices where i can use my diamond/interval resorts points and get a better hotel room.

Room Tip: if you go, bring flip flops to shower... whatever they use to 'clean' leaves a sticky residu...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
8  Thank WisconsinButterfly
Reviewed October 11, 2012

We enjoyed this busy, friendly,quiet resort on Lake Tahoe. Although there were no ovens in the suite, there were many available barbecues close at hand. The pool and hot tub were appreciated, and the beautiful,sandy beach had ample lounge chairs for our use. We were a bit disappointed that our suite overlooked the parking lot,but despite that we still had peek a boo views of the lake.Nice and close to everything,however lake Tahoe is not pedestrian friendly!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 1, 2012

My family have been owners for over 30 years, in fact My Dad was on the Board of Directors and now has a nice permanent memorial garden on the property. I have read quite a few reviews about the property and decided I need to visit since I have not been there in 25 years. I have to say that I was impressed to see that they have made a lot of improvements. In fact I ended up staying in one of the buildings that has gotten a lot of complaints in the past. Most of the complaints seem to have been taken care of and the rooms have been updated nicely.

My only complaints would be the lack of an elevator, which in a higher elevation makes it a chore to haul all our stuff to the room on the upper floor. And the internet service is next to worthless. If I had the time I would have requested time with the maintenance department to inspect the wireless routers placement and made suggestions on how to improve service since I work in the industry.

They have added family activities like movie night, arts and crafts and other activities that was a bonus for our 5yo who was very happy that she got to paint a piggy bank and bring it home.

I look forward to visiting again and I hope there will be more improvements on the next visit.

Room Tip: If you need an elevator to get to a upper level room, request a room in the building closest to the...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Sean L
Reviewed August 5, 2012 via mobile

I enjoyed my stay here in a one-bedroom with kitchenette and dining/ living room with sleeper sofa. The newly-renovated rooms were very clean. One bathroom had a small jacuzzi tub and the other had a full-sized walk-in shower.

The only downsides were the view of the dumpsters from the entrance to our building and the completely smoke-free campus. I don't smoke but my friend does, and was not allowed to smoke OUTDOORS on the balcony, and had to walk next door to the next hotel. Great for non-smokers like me, but very inconvenient for our smoker friends!

• Stayed: July 2012
2  Thank devamailtrip
Reviewed July 27, 2012

My daughter and I traveling with 5 month old spent 3 nights in mid-April on my timeshare account. They gave us a large corner suite that was awesome; large king size bed, 2 bathrooms, livingroom, kitchenette, plenty of room for baby's stuff! Within walking distance of restaurants and shopping and beach access. Everything in rooms was in like-new condition and was spotless. Front desk staff was very friendly and helpfull. Would stay here again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family