“Good choice if cost is not an issue”

Holiday Inn Express South Lake Tahoe
Ranked #21 of 65 Hotels in South Lake Tahoe
Reviewed August 6, 2011

Great location in a walkable area. Very clean hotel room. Breakfast was good enough, with some hardboiled and scrambled eggs and yogurt. Parking is free. It had a real lodge-type feel to it. The bathroom was huge.

The only possible problem I had was that there were a lot of smokers near my room and the smell went into my room. Not the hotel's fault. Also, the beds were springy and not soft with a pillow top like I have experienced at other Holiday Inn Express hotels.

Check in was quick and easy. Wifi was quick and fast. I used points but if I had paid for it, it would have been $100++. That seems a bit pricey given that there are many other hotel options on this street.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 30, 2011

The hotel was great and I'd be glad to return. The room was updated and comfortable. The location was great (near the action - and the rooms were set back a great distance from the road so it was not noisy). The breakfast was good. The setting among all the great pine trees of Lake Tahoe gave it a feeling you were in still in the mountains. I did not like to Nevada side of South Lake Tahoe - it felt like a cement city and cheap casinos. But soon as you crossed to the California side it felt like a mountain lakeside resort community that respects nature and protects trees and creates a resort setting (still a bit commercial but much nicer that the Nevada side). Hope this helps.

Reviewed July 20, 2011

Stayed here with my wife and 2 teenage daughters. No complaints from anyone. The room is large and the bathroom large enough for all of us to use at the same time. Very convenient and quiet too

Reviewed July 20, 2011

I have two young daughters and swim with them in a lot of pools, most of them ice cold. This summer, I bought a wetsuit top to wear in the pool, tired of being cold. When they got into the pool at Holiday Inn, they said it was warm. I put my toe in. It felt warm. I decided to jump in without my wetsuit top. It was 100% warm. I have NEVER felt a pool this warm. I have waited my entire life to find a pool this warm. A thousand thank yous Holiday Inn. I know I'll freeze my butt off in the remaining hotels we stop at, but, for once, it was nice to feel 100% warm.

As for the hotel, it was super nice. It had a grove of trees surrounding it. Very beautiful. The rooms were top notch. Comfy beds. The bathrooms were very well done. To be honest, this place didn't seem like a Holiday Inn.

1  Thank Craig F
Reviewed July 19, 2011

This is a nice and seemingly new hotel, nice on the outside and inside. Very clean, large and nicely appointed rooms, but the beds and pillows leave a lot to be desired. It looks like they did everything top notch, but skimped on bedding. The beds were squeaky and felt worn out, and the pillows were small and lumpy. I don't remember staying at a HI Express with uncomfortable beds, until now. So I give the hotel all good ratings in every category except bedding, and with the price charged for the room, they should have been better. New beds and pillows, and you have a fine hotel in every respect.

Reviewed July 19, 2011

We are a family of four. We enjoyed an upper level room with two queen beds. The room and bathroom are huge. With two teenage daughter's, the ample granite counter space allowed us to sprawl out all our make up and hair products. And even though it faces Tahoe Blvd, it is the quietest hotel we have EVER stayed at. And that is why were were back:) The breakfast is mediocre. The eggs don't really taste like eggs. But hubby and daughter's enjoyed the pancakes. We tried the number #1 rated hotel on this forum, however nice, the Holiday Inn Express is a best bet for families (especially with teenage girls) :)

Reviewed July 12, 2011

By poor service I mean they do not respond on my request, I wrote to their 2 email address, no response since more than 2 weeks. Other than that they did not excuse for light not working in a room where we stayed. Receptionist just goes something like "hmmm, Ok". Pretty weird reaction.
So there was no electricity in a bathroom at all, no light, no one plugin did work, and it was bathroom with Jacuzzi, so we paid for what we could not use. It was only one night we stayed in the hotel, and it was too late (we checked-in around 8 pm) to ask for technical help.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family