“A good stay”

Ranked #22 of 66 Hotels in South Lake Tahoe
hemel hempstead
“A good stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2010

We stayed here for a week travelling with Virgin holidays. It was a pleasant surprise for us after previously organising independant accomodation in the French Alps. The 1 bedroomed apartment was very spacious and clean. There was a lack of bedding when we arrived but this was soon fixed when we asked at reception. the room was cleaned, bins were empties daily and the bed settee was made and put away every day. The hotel is situated 3 minutes walking distance from the gondola so we could get down there in ski boots and carry skis and poles easily. The breakfast was plentiful but pretty basic, waffles, bagels, toast, cereal and fruit. My only point to note would be the blow heaters in the rooms which sound like a jet engine when they fire up at night, but you get used to it. And no kettle! But all in all a great holiday and a big improvement on self catering in Europe

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2010

Pros and cons to this 'resort'. The price is good compared to other accommodation in the area and close to shops. The 2 bedroom suite was a good size and the beds comfortable. The best view of the resort is the lobby building - the suites, however, are dated - old carpeting, dirty walls. I'm sure it was lovely when it was built, but needs some refreshing. Hoping to save money by making a few of our meals however the kitchen was lacking basic items such as oven mitts, dish pan (had to substitute a towel), spaghetti spoon, baking pan, tongs. I gather most people go out to eat so what is available in the cupboards is somewhat damaged, cheap and dated. The 'european style' breakfast is adequate - cold items, dry waffles. I would only recommend this place if you want a no-frills vacation.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank SerenityNow_10
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2010

We stayed at the Forest Suites in room 602 January 4 - 13, 2010.
We discovered that both toilets were broken at about 4:00 AM. There were virtually no pots or pans, no silverware, and there was no can opener. The refrigerator did not keep things cold. The television just stopped working during the NFL playoff games. (The list of what worked correctly is much shorter.)
There was literally a wind coming through the sliding glass doors that moved our curtains continuously and kept the room very cold despite the thermostat turned to 80 degrees. The outdoor "heated" pool directly outside of our romm was frozen over.
The young lady at the front desk at night did not want to be pulled away from her Facebook account to assist us in any way.
The "Fitness Center" is one machine - and it was broken.

I will say that the location is good; ~ 100 yard walk to the gondola - when it was running.

I have taken a 10-14 day ski vacation every January for the past 16 years. I do the same in March-April for the past 20 years. I would never return to the Forest Suites, even if it were free.
Adjectives that come to mind: over-priced, filthy, old, outdated, dump. We were actually referring to it as the "inner city condo".
The gentleman from maintenance truly tried to fix what he could, but when there is so little to work with, his efforts were not that successful.
Would I recommend this resort to a friend? No. I wouldn't recommend it to an enemy either.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank QuestionableGestures
ForestManager, General Manager at Forest Suites Resort at Heavenly Village, responded to this review, March 3, 2010
I want to first off apologize for the experiences you had during your stay at our hotel. I remember your stay well as we had morning management meetings regarding your room. I also had numerous conversations with Heavenly Resort regarding your reservation as you had reported to them that your heater did not work. It was my understanding and observation that we went out of our way to accomodate you on every request you had. If a request couldn't be taken care of immediately it was communicated to you, as well as why it may take a few extra minutes.Some of the issues you pointed out are out of our control and could have been explained with simple conversation with the staff. We have two pools on property and the pool not outside your room is open year round, this is explained at check in, and I apologize if it was not communicated clearly. When the cable goes out in the local area it affects our property. I too was upset when my home cable went out during the game. I also know that part of the heating issue was a refusal to turn it up past a certain temperature as was documented by my staff upon each response to your calls. All our heating/ac units are under a year old and in good working order. Being an Alpine Mountain destination with large temperature fluctuations it may be necessary to place the thermostat at higher temperature settings than you may be accustomed to. I do take very seriously the statements regarding our staff as I firmly believe they go out of their way time after time to watch after our guests. We understand our challenges at this resort and truly believe in a legitimate and sincere service as if you are family. I'm sorry this sentiment did not come through for you.
San Francisco
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2010

My parents and I stayed here over MLK weekend. The location is fantastic, you don't have to worry about parking or driving, you can simply walk to the Heavenly gondola and can safely enjoy a beer after a hard day of skiing. We stayed in a 2br/2bath suite. The room was very clean, accomodating, beds were comfortable. The hotel is an older building, but you couldn't tell that once you were inside the room. The continental breakfast in the morning was also a plus. I would be back here for sure.

• Stayed January 2010
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2010

My husband and I stayed here recently and it was wonderful! Our room was beautiful and I can not tell you how nice it was to stay right underneath the Heavenly Gondola! We didnt have to wait in any lines and had fresh snow all day! I felt like we were the first people on the entire mountain!! Another wonderful plus was that we didnt get in our car for the whole trip! Everything is in walking distance! Great sushi, shopping and the casinos!
If your looking for a great Tahoe get away with affordable luxury, this is the place for you!! Im already planning on coming back!!!!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2010

The sliding glass door had a wind storm coming through. Not pots and pans. Few plates and cups. Little silver ware. Fridge broken. Odor in hall. The staff was really nice about correcting what they could.

• Stayed January 2010
San Mateo, CA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2010

We spent 3 days in December in Forrest Suites Resort. The plan was to get a decent place for 3 nights before we join our friends in a bigger house. This place looks *very* dated. Yes clean, but the looking at the faded color of the floors and walls I was wondering if owners decided to run it without spending any money on updates until it falls apart from its age. Probably gondola proximity will always give them vistors. I understand that having people in skiiin boots walking hallways 24x7 will put a mark on the floors etc IF this place was on top of Everest, but not in the South Lake Tahoe ! There are plenty of building supply to fix/remodel the building.

Theres a kitchen that looks like it was built in 40-50's. No garbage disposal, no washer. We didn't have enough pots to make food and boil some water to make tea at the same time.

Health center, sauna, hot outdoor jacuzzi are there. I've seen people using threadmills. We like sauna and jacuzzi but here it proved to be not worth going to. To get to jacuzzi you basically have to go through normal building elevators, exit, yard. No small changing room next to it, no exit from sauna or health center. Same for sauna - the only shower nearby is in the health center rest room. Theres no men/women changing rooms or lockers. So you basically have to take elevator and building hallway to sauna and back to your room before you can change clothes.

If you HAVE to stay near gondola and 300+/night is too much - then this place may work. Don't expect to enjoy it. But you will have roof for the night. Otherwise look at Nevada side, something a bit more distant from the lifts, Northstar or Squaw ski-in ski-out resorts.

Pros: close to gondola, stores, Heavenly village, casinos.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family