All reviewsheavenly villagefull kitchenbedroom suitecovered parkingheavenly gondolawine and cheesegrocery storebagelsstarbucks coffeehot breakfastacross the streetwithin walking distancehot tubfamily reunionbit datedfree breakfastfull service
Reviewed January 6, 2016

My family and I stayed from Dec 27th 2015 through Jan 2 2016. Our first room 212 was very dirty, kitchen stove had build up that I could wipe off with wet paper towel if I put some elbow grease into it, Master bath was way below standards so bad that maintenance could not pic up the non slip mat placed in tub it was held on by grime, the toilet was loose. I called front desk and the manager on duty came over and was very understanding and clearly saw I was disgusted with this place. We travel often and stay at higher end places, we are not hotel snobs if the only issue was that the cabinets and counters look like they were last upgraded in the 70's that would have been fine had the room been clean,this was just the beginning of my issues. When I pay $400+ per night I expect a certain standard. Back to the management handling of my situation, she said the would do a VIP cleaning the next day and would talk to GM about the situation. I was told to contact her the next day about discussions with the GM. Next day we went to breakfast, they were cleaning room when I got back, great I thought. Maintenance was using a very strong smelling cleaning agent in the bathroom, my wife is very sensitive to smell so they agreed to move us to another room, in the mean time I was going to open window to get fresh air into the area while we were packing up and when I did the single pane window separated from the frame, this explained why on our first night we had to place pillows at the entry to block the cold air coming through gap at the bottom of the door. The insulation was horrible one room freezing one to hot. Onto the new room 211, it was identical to the other in layout and cleaner but well below the $400+ per night rate. We decided to make the best of it, this was our grand-kids first ski trip where they could participate. I spoke with the manager as instructed when she came on duty, they credited me the first nights stay. I would have tried to make other arrangements and checked out but our mistake was traveling this week so everything was booked. The website is obviously well done enough to make it look like a really nice place don't be fooled. I have never seen so much caulk used to cover and fill areas in a place. I think the name is also "Resort" misleading, It had a pool that was covered during the whole stay and a small spa that my kids and grand-kids never wanted to go back to after their 1st trip because of the strong chlorine smell, directly across the street at the Marriott the pool was heated and open, staying in the pool area the path around the pool to spa was left covered with ice and snow during our whole stay I thought they would go out of their way to keep paths as slip free as possible in today's litigious society, within they same area is a small fire pit, sounds great except our new room was right next to it, so on an evening when people used it and didn't put fire completely out our room was inundated with smoke smell through the single pane windows and the heating system every time that loud system kicked on, we got a whiff of the fire pit all night. I called front to have them smother it completely the next morning and they did. The staff always seemed to help the best they could and were very polite. Now to the utensils in the kitchen, I didn't expect fine china but the utensils were so bad I just laughed a chalked it up to experience and never again would I stay here, the refrigerator was very cold so much that the bottled water placed in it got particles of ice, so I figured I would adjust it, nope the knob wasn't there,once again I just laughed. Before we left on our trip we called and asked if they had laundry room on site, yes they did, another sub par amenity,we went in the first day to check out the laundry room two washers one working, where I come from when your making money on something you'd want to keep it working, 1 washer was inoperable the whole time. The hotel offers you some choices for a daily gift if you don't have the room cleaned and beds made daily, we thought great because they were always real quick to respond with towels and trash removal, I suggest if you do this don't get the wine, not good. Once again the ladies at the front desk were more than willing to respond to our needs and were always very polite, so the issues with this place are up the food chain. If they had someone walking these rooms and property daily these are issues that could be addressed rather easily, based on its location is the only reason they can get the rates they get, the location was excellent easy access to Heavenly Village and Raleys grocery store we never had to drive once we were there. We made the best of the situation and my grand-kids had a great time being able to walk to gondola for skiing and walk to sledding, they supplied the sled when available. The game room was another laughable moment, but hey live and learn. I do want to thank the ladies we dealt with at the front desk they were always very responsive. I am rating the service poor not because of the front desk because of the overall condition of this place.

Room Tip: I have photos but I am choosing not to post.
  • Stayed: December 2015, traveled with family
4  Thank brian843
Reviewed December 22, 2015 via mobile

After staying at 5 different properties in Tahoe over the years, this place will be our families favorite winter destination in Lake Tahoe. Over the years our family of four have stayed at the Ridge properties, The Kingsbury and other luxury condos in Tahoe so we know the difference between 1 star and 5 star properties. We needed a last minute place to stay in Tahoe on Thanksgiving and our regular favorites were either booked or available at 250.00 plus per night. After reading mixed reviews we decided to try Forest Suites.
Yes the property is slightly dated but at 169.00 per night over Thanksgiving seemed too good to be true. So we brought extra blankets and our Dyson portable heater believing the rooms might be cold based on other reviews. We didn't need them. Even while our kids ran in & out playing in the snow opening & closing the sliding door, the heating worked so well we didn't need heater or blankets. Brought my own coffee maker in case theirs was bad, again didn't need it. Room was clean and well stocked. At one point we needed frying pan it was sent too our room in 10 minutes. Staff was great especially Kristi at front desk. I could go on and on about this place. Centrally located parked my car Thursday didn't nave to move till Saturday. Everything you need is within walking distance. Bought our Thanksgiving day dinner at Raleys across the street and prepared it in our room for one of the BEST Thanksgivings we have ever had in Tahoe. Ok the sink drained slowly and the breakfast was crowded and the countertops were not Quartz or granite, but can get that for about 100.00 more per night somewhere else. Location, family activities and customer service is this properties strengths. Walked to Blue Dogs pizza for dinner, saw movie at the theaters one day and the Xbox room at the hotel provided much entertainment for our family. Also snow slides are across the street and at night Heavenly village was full of activities. I cannot comment on summers here but I will be returning here in the winter. THANK YOU Forest Inn & suites for making our Thanksgiving the BEST we've had in Lake Tahoe!!!

See our pics under parksrblessed

Stayed: November 2015, traveled with family
3  Thank Parksrblessed
Mark A, General Manager at Forest Suites Resort at Heavenly Village, responded to this reviewResponded December 23, 2015

We are so pleased that you gave Forest Suites Resort a try and more so that your stay was a worry free and enjoyable one. Looking forward to your next visit.

Reviewed December 13, 2015

We stay here multiple times a year and never consider staying anywhere else. It's the best deal in South Lake Tahoe for rooms as big as they are and in a desirable location. You cannot find anything within walking distance to the casinos and Heavenly Village with better rates and amenities. We usually have 6 girls with us and stay in the 2 bedroom suites. A great breakfast is included and you can bring all the food and alcohol you want for your in-room kitchen. We prefer to use the stairs since the elevators are just plain old, confusing, and small.

Room Tip: If you need an extra bed, ask for the 2nd bedroom with the additional daybed.
  • Stayed: November 2015, traveled with friends
1  Thank TahoeTravelin
Mark A, General Manager at Forest Suites Resort at Heavenly Village, responded to this reviewResponded December 15, 2015

Appreciate your kinds words and we certainly agree that your could not find a better location in South Lake Tahoe than the Forest Suites Resort at Heavenly Village. We look forward to your return soon.

Reviewed December 9, 2015

.Booked through a TravelZoo offer and was not sure about what to expect. We were really pleased with the place, and all of us would have liked to stay one more night (we booked just one night) and would gladly come back in the future. The lodge is not luxury level, and perhaps the style is a bit dated, but we really enjoy places that are not 'chain' nor 'corporate' when we vacation. Booked a two bedroom, 2 bath suite - super spacious and comfortable, very clean despite a bit dated bathrooms and furnishings. Nice kitchen (everything worked including electric stove/regular oven, microwave, coffee maker and fridge. Dishes, pots/pans/ cutlery are provided too. Living room has large flat screen, pull out sofa bed, and view of the tree line looking up at the mountain, I don't think there are any rooms that have a lake view as the building is not 'tall' enough . We were able to park in a carport underneath the building which was a plus as no snow fell on the car overnight, and access to the rooms is easier without having to carry luggage through the snow. The elevator worked perfectly fine, however it is from another century and does not fit too many people/bags. We (4 in our party) all fit in well with our luggage and thought it was fun and quirky.
There is an outdoor Jacuzzi (next to the closed for the season pool) which we did not have time to use.
Buffet breakfast is provided in the main building just off the lobby. There are hot items and Starbucks coffee, juices as well as cereal, fruit, yogurt, bagels and toast and waffles.
The staff is just great. Very knowledgeable about the area, weather and road conditions including what to see or tour depending on how much time you have.
We called the night before and Lupe was able to advise us on which of the scenic routes we could do before we arrived.
The other front desk staff were just as helpful, polite and just seemed to enjoy their job.
We are definitely returning in the near future..

Stayed: December 2015
1  Thank TravelFanDalyCity
Reviewed November 19, 2015

Very pleased with our stay; very nice front desk folks, especially the sweet, handsome guy that checked us out on our last day; wished I could remember his name.. --One small issue was that it was very dark around the hotel/parking lot at night; not enough lighting. Our unit was very comfortable and clean; kitchen was sufficient (didn't really use except for table, sink, refrigerator). Location was excellent; short walk to shops and restaurants.

Stayed: September 2015
1  Thank Hope6482

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay and have asked out Chief Engineer to review lighting around the resort to see what we can do to improve. We look forward to your return visit one day soon.