“PERFECT FOR A SKI TRIP”

Ranked #19 of 66 Hotels in South Lake Tahoe
Norwalk, Connecticut
“PERFECT FOR A SKI TRIP”
Reviewed February 3, 2005

I had the pleasure of staying at this very cozy lodge during a ski trip to Heavenly a few years ago. The place is exactly what most people want when skiing, and at a very affordable price. The rooms are rustic, with that log cabin type feel, but also luxurious with all the ammeneties.. My room had a balcony with an incredible view of lake tahoe. The room was about 400 square feet .. it had a large bathroom, a fireplace and a comfortable king bed. The only negative thing I can say about the room was the shower pressure was awful. The lodge had a outdoor hottub which was surrounded like an igloo with snow... very romantic. The spa was very basic, but had most services that a skiier mike want,with prices far less that what you might pay for a large resort spa. If i remember right, I payed about 130 a night for my room..I recently stayed in a similar lodge in vermont and payed 300 a night...so value at lake tahoe lodge and spa was excellent. No restaurant or bar in the lodge( that i can remember) but many in the area.

2 Thank icem2829

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
  • Hebrew first
Leeds, England
Reviewed November 3, 2004

Stayed for 2 nights in September. Very concerned when driving up to the front of the hotel as it is dark brown and frankly looks very low standard. But once checked in - WOW! Amazing location – 1 metre from a balcony and 1 more to the beach. It doesn’t get closer than this! Good, clean room. Staff were very pleasant and helpful. The breakfast was severely lacking though – very little to choose from. Beware - thin walls but don’t let this put you off. Take those earplugs!

2 Thank avevers
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed September 28, 2004

This hotel is very clean and the view of the lake from the room was excellent. Registration and check-out efficiency was flawless. The staff was professional and cordial. They gave us all the information that was asked. I wish that I had an extra day to spend in Lake Tahoe. And I will stay with them again. Great value and easy to access.

• Stayed September 2004
1 Thank TONEYTUNES
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 20, 2004

I've just had the most relaxing, comfortable vacation I've ever had!! The Lakeshore Lodge is not luxurious by any means -- but it is VERY nice and it sure is comfortable! I didn't get a room with any kitchen facilities - didn't need it. The Lodge serves a continental breakfast:coffee,juice,fruit, muffins and danish pastries. There are two places that serve breakfast and lunch and also a pizza/ice cream place between the Lodge and the street. Also, across the street is a good italian restaurant. There is bus service that only charges a dollar a ride, and it will take you to the casinos, shopping, dining, anywhere you want to go along the lake in south lake tahoe. The beach is great, although the previous writer is right about the goose poop -- you have to watch! The beach is private but you're not limited to it for long walks. I walked at least a mile along the shore. There is a marina next door where you can rent boats, kayaks, water toys for kids, jet skiis, and arrange to go parasailing. I just sat on the beach (chairs and loungers are provided) and watched the boats, people parasailing, a hot air balloon that takes off and lands on a boat on the lake, the ducks,geese,and seagulls fly and swim around, and of course the beautiful views!! The lake with the mountains in the background is a wonderful sight! The sunsets are fantastic!!!
The rooms are really very nice. They all have a fireplace - mine was gas. I did use it when I got up early in the morning. There is a coffee pot in all the rooms. And of course a tv. The front desk has safety deposit boxes available. Each room has a patio or balcony. My room didn't have a tub - just a walk in shower but that was okay with me. If someone really wants a tub, they should ask about it when they book the room. I'm hoping to visit Lake Tahoe again in the next couple of years and I'm definitely going to stay here again. The place itself is more than nice enough, the location is great -- casinos and shopping are a very short bus ride or drive away, and being right on the lake is, to me, a real LUXORY!

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed August 29, 2004

My bf and I enjoyed our stay at the Lakeshore Lodge this last weekend 8/27-8/29, though there were a few little problems. First, the desk staff was very friendly, and checked us in quickly. However, the room we were given (#105) was on the ground floor, 2 doors down from the office and almost directly across from the pool. We walked in and the room was a decent size, clean and decorated nicely. But since it was on the ground floor and across from the pool, I was uncomfortable immediately because there was a walkway in front of the sliding glass doors and if I wanted to watch tv on the bed with the drapes open, people could see right in. So we immediately went back to the front desk and asked to be moved to a higher floor. The front desk was very nice about it and accommodated us by moving us to the 3rd floor, where the view of the lake and mountains was fantastic.

We were much more comfortable in that room, and were able to settle in. Each room has a nice little fireplace and a deck with chairs to enjoy the view. Unfortunately, the walls were extremely thin and we could hear the conversations and smell food cooking in the next room over, which was kind of unsettling. (there was a loud wedding party on each side of us who we could hear loud and clear) Plus the tv remotes didn't work and the pillows were a little flat.

However, the location was great and the private beach was nice, but covered in goose poop due to the large flock of geese roaming it, but was not a problem since we didn't use the beach much anyway. We had a great time at the spa, and everyone there was very nice and professional. The casinos were not kind to us (esp. Caesars-- we couldn't win a hand to save our lives!) and the level of service in Tahoe is a mile below that of Vegas and even Reno. Everyone seemed mad to be working in just about every store or restaurant we visited. But everyone at the Lakeshore Lodge was pleasant and I would consider staying there again, though it was a little pricey (about $150/night). I would visit the spa again in a heartbeat!

4 Thank lisaq42
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 1, 2004

Please don't waste your hard earned money at this glorified motel that does not live up to the description on their web site. They have "terrible" customer service, outdated rooms, and a pool that was not heated. My family and I used to stay at this hotel in the 1970s. At the time it was really nice and the customer service was great. Owner has changed. I made reservations for 5 rooms for one week stay with the supervisor 5 months ago and requested for only one of the rooms to be a specific room which my mom really wanted to stay in. At the time they told me my chances was good but they can't guarantee it. I called the supervisor 2 days before departing to make sure everything was in place and she tells me the specific room we wanted was taken and that she can't do anything about it. I asked for my mom to be moved when the guests depart which was 2 days after we arrive and she said she can't guarantee it. When I argued she cancelled my reservations. When I got mad the manger called me and told me not to step foot on the hotel grounds or else she will call the police. I had to have my cousin call and get all the rooms back under her name because every place else was sold out unfortunatly and we really wanted to visit tahoe. Do yourself a favor and stay somewhere else where people will appreciate your business. There are alot of nice hotels on the south and north side of the lake for the same price.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member