“Lakeshore Lodge & Spa is a great place”

Tahoe Lakeshore Lodge and Spa
Ranked #19 of 66 Hotels in South Lake Tahoe
Portland Oregon
“Lakeshore Lodge & Spa is a great place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2012

I took one look at the lodge (as we drove up) and thought, "OMG what have I done?"
We took one look at our wonderful room and the fabulous view of the lake and extended our stay.
As soon as you get past the dumpy exterior, the horrible bunched up indoor/outdoor carpeting on the walkways and the icky elevator, the rest of it is a totally wonderful experience.
I think I met at least 6 people who worked the desk --including Laura, the manager--and they were all fantastic. Friendly, personable, informative & very, very accomodating.
Our room was a dream -- large & comfortable with a walk-out patio right to the beach. The kitchen is terrific.
We laughed when we asked a couple of Tahoe people "what is it that this place is in such bad repair?" and they said, "Well, that's Tahoe for you." I guess most of the places (except the glitzy casinos, of course) are so old and get such hard use (year-round, but expecially in the ski season) that it's impossible to keep them looking new. I'll just hope that Lakeshore Lodge can do a major exterior facelift by the time we go again next summer, but I'm not holding my breath.
Bottom line: I am thrilled that I found this place, and we will be going back as much as possible!

Room Tip: Big difference between the lodge rooms and condos. Be sure to ask a lot of questions, based on what...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Leslie M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
  • Hebrew first
Blackpool. Lancashire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2012

Directions to the hotel from the web site were very good and as the hotel is tucked away behind the main street they were very helpful. Do not be put off by the first sight of this hotel. This is the back of the hotel and all the rooms face out front to the lake and beach. Parking is therefore very convenient. We were on the ground floor and had a room which lead out onto the patio/pathway along the length of the building. Grass lawns and the lake were just beyond the path which meant a great view of the lake from the room. The outdoor pool was just to the left of the lawns and as it was a warm day the noise of the pool users was rather loud.
The room itself was fine. The furniture was all rustic style and made the bed a bit high. The big drawback was that there was no air conditioning. (I guess Lake Tahoes Season is Winter) but there was a large electric fan stowed in a cupboard which we made good use of. The beds were Ok but we have had more comfortable nights. The staff were helpful and our room was ready when we arrived even though we were a couple of hours early. If I were to visit Lake Tahoe again I would stay here.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Green Lane, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2012

I booked this resort "sight unseen" using Tripadvisor and it was FABULOUS. I was so glad that a read a review that mentioned that the lodge was behind the CVS; it would have been easy to miss otherwise.
The desk clerk, Shanna, was extremely friendly, helpful, and professional. She welcomed us, made us feel special, and made sure we had an absolutely great room. Every room has a balcony; right over the beach, with the most amazing views.
Our room was spacious, spotless, and comfortable. We were greeted by smiles from all of the staff and they were quick to to please.
This is the place to stay in South Lake Tahoe!!!

Room Tip: The walls are thin; the top floor would be best.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Philly
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2012

A lot of the cities I travel to, I keep trying different hotels. Lakeshore Lodge is a keeper. It hits my perfect sweet spot by being at the top of the lower price group (lower for Tahoe, that is) and still having enough amenities, a really nice lodge theme decor, and an absolutely perfect location on the lake.
I had a room with two queens and while it was big enough, the queen room did look bigger on their website. I think the bath may have been remodeled, and so in order to make room a for the modern style sink & counter outside, the actual room with the toilet and 4-foot stall shower was tiny.

There were many guests in the hotel, but it was still very quite, my second night I did hear people walking around in the room above me as the floor boards creaked in a couple of places. I liked the gas fireplaces for heat, silent & cosy, although I think it used room air for combustion though, so a CO2 detector might be good. Also, the heat was in the corner far away from the bath on the opposite outside wall, so I would worry a little about the bathroom being warm enough in the winter.

The things I did not care for were the personal 1-cup personal size coffee packets to go with the 10-cup room coffee maker. Luckily I was smart enough to only put in water to the 2-cup line. The bath fixtures were not high end, like the plastic toilet seat that flexed when I sat on the closed lid, and the shower head that was difficult to find the off position and find the water temp I wanted. Plenty of hot water though. The staff was professional enough, but I didn't find them all that amazing. I got the sense that they can keep the hotel well enough filled as it is, without going the extra mile. Oh, and I was still on eastern time my first morning when the coffee service & lounge was not unlocked until 8 am. Had to go out and buy a coffee from the really great shop on the other side of the parking lot.

So I realize my little quibbles are part of what keeps the price here affordable, so I'm ok with all that. Just wanted to mention that, because if you have 4-star expectations, this won't measure up. On the other hand, if you have 2-star expectations though, you will be wowed.

PS. Previously I stayed at the "No. 1" Tahoe motel, and I liked Lakeshore Lodge better

Room Tip: Upper floors are more private, but if you want, some lower floors open directly to their private bea...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Cherylad
Martinez, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2012

Believe all the great reviews. Yep, when you first drive up you might be a bit concerned. Yep, the place is a bit dated. Yep, the walls are a bit thin. BUT, it's clean, the staff is friendly, the beach is beautiful and the views are simply to die for. Short of tearing the place down and starting new, the owners have made excellent choices on upgrades. We were in room #306 which was perfect. Top floor, middle of hotel portion of property. I think it was good we were on the top floor...I suspect, given the noise from adjacent rooms that if you had a room above you, there would be even more noise. Oh, and did I mention the views...just amazing!! I will definitley stay here again...in fact, I'm already trying to figure out when we can go back.

Room Tip: For hotel portion of property, choose top floor rooms either in the middle of the hotel or on the we...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2012

We stayed in a condo on the first floor, right on the beach. The views were amazing of the lake, mountains and sunsets.
The room was a 1 bedroom, with a kitchen, we stayed for two nights and enjoyed it. A short walk away was Heidi's for a wonderful breakfast every morning.
The property was well maintained and the staff nice and helpfull. I would stay there again if I am ever in Tahoe.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2012

Couldn't be happier with our stay. Great updated rooms, awesome views, and its location is good too. Everything is close, but your not right next to the busy roads. This is a hotel I will definitely be coming back to.

• Stayed July 2012