“Fabulous location, not so fabulous resort”

Aston Lakeland Village Beach & Mountain Resort
Ranked #19 of 66 Hotels in South Lake Tahoe
Baltimore, Maryland
“Fabulous location, not so fabulous resort”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Just returned from a family vacation with 2 couples and a single - all 60 ish. Rented a 4 bedroom unit right on the lake separated only by sand. Wonderful views in every direction. Problems: Unit had no air so windows were open at night - some folks decided to party hardy till very late. Not conducive to sleeping for us or families with young children. Our unit's furniture and carpets had seen better days and the daily cleaning took place at varying hours of the day. This is not a luxury resort, but it is great for families with children who love the water and teens who love to party. But what a view!

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Huntington Beach
Reviewed August 12, 2012

This is the second time that my husband and I stayed at the resort. It is in a great location. The lake is beautiful. I would suggest that you as ask for an updated room. I did both times that we went. They have a shuttle that takes you to shops and the casinos. If you stay in the lodge and street noise bothers you, make sure that you request a room that does not back to the street.

Room Tip: Request a room away form the street. The property is older so request an updated room.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank P.C.H.B.
Gilroy, CA
Reviewed August 1, 2012

Several members of my family and I stayed at Lakeland Village recently (July 26-30). I've got to be up front about the fact that my husband and I are in our mid 50s and typically this is not the kind of place we prefer to vacation (huge resort, high season, tons of kids and families, super crowded), but my other family members have tons of kids and wanted to have our family reunion at Lakeland Village. Although we had several issues during our stay, Michael, the supervisor at the front desk was helpful and professional. He was genuinely concerned about the satisfaction of his guests and the reputation of Lakeland Village. I saw him handle lots of problems with several guests over the weekend and he always remained calm, positive and concerned. Most of the other staff were polite and friendly too.

However, the "issues" we experienced at Lakeland Village will make us think twice before returning:
• My room in the lodge (227) and my sister's townhouse room (460) were the same price. I felt cheated! My room was MUCH smaller, louder and less comfortable, by far, than my sister's room, but we both paid the same price.
• There was a tractor working outside our bedroom window on Thursday night at 12:30 a.m.! When I called the front desk they said "we have earplugs up here at the desk if you want some". I spoke to Michael the next day and he discounted our room for that one night.
• My sister's room was not ready for check-in until 5:30 p.m., even though she had made reservations almost 6 months ago AND asked for early check-in
• While on the beach, we were asked probably 10 times if we were guests of the hotel. It started to feel like we were being harassed! I believe that one reason we were asked so many times was because of a condo owner who kept calling security to check on anyone who was sitting on "his" beach. We finally told the security supervisor to leave us alone.
• Housekeeping was a no-show on Saturday. Come on! I paid over $700 of my hard-earned money to stay 3 nights at Lakeland and I can't even get a clean towel without asking? I had to call Michael again and he offered to send housekeeping right then, but since that wasn't a convenient time for us, he did send up fresh towels and slightly discounted another night's stay.
• The air conditioning situation in room 227 was an issue. It was freezing in the living room, but still hot and stuffy in the bedroom. Opening the window wasn't an option because of the road noise.
• We could also hear every single step taken by the people above us.

I would not return again to stay in the lodge portion of Lakeland, but Lakeland Village has plenty of positives going for it too. If we visited again, I would definitely try to reserve early so I could get a townhouse unit or go during the off-season. My sister's townhouse unit was great. The friendliness of the staff, the proximity to the beach, the lovely grounds and the free shuttle are the things that would draw us back to the Lakeland resort.

Room Tip: I wouldn't stay in the lodge portion of the resort unless I could get a top-floor room. Also, a...
2 Thank GilroyDonna
JerryBindel, General Manager at Aston Lakeland Village Beach & Mountain Resort, responded to this review, August 11, 2012
Dear GilroyDonna,
Thank you for staying with us and for your important feedback. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay overall, and particular the service from Michael our Guest Services Supervisor. We will definitely be looking into the items you mentioned so that we can continue to improve our guest services. Our sincere apologies for the items you mentioned that were not up to our normal high service standards. Typically our lodge studios and suite units are great for couples and smaller families, and are priced less than our larger one to five bedroom townhomes. Please email me at jerry.bindel@astonhotels.com if I can be of any assistance to you in the future, or if you would like to stay with us again in the future. Thank you again.
California
Reviewed July 31, 2012

By and large we enjoyed our trip to Lakeland Village although most of the units are still stuck back in the 1980's. Badly needs to be updated. My only real complaint is the free shuttle service.

On July 29th we had the shuttle take us to the Casinos for gambling and was told by "Richard" the shuttle driver that return service ended at 11:00PM so we needed to call before that time for a ride. At 10:50PM we were ready to return so we called for our pick-up and was told he would be right there. While we were waiting outside the rear door of Harrahs another group was also waiting for the same shuttle. After waiting for also most an hour I called Lakeland back to find out the status of the shuttle ride. They in turn advised that the shuttle driver had already been back looking for us and couldn't find us even though we were waiting in the exact spot we were suppose to! The shuttle driver flat out lied to the front desk and never made the return for either us or the other group. By this time the shuttle drivers were off duty and Lakeland had no way of getting us back to the property. We ended up having to take a $15.00 taxi ride back because of there poor shuttle service. The front desk's only comment was that if we didn't like it we could talk to the manager in the morning.

Although it was only $15.00, it's the point of the matter that they lied and couldn't care less about customer service.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Clint1583
Dear Clint1583,
Thank you for your important feedback on our shuttle services. My sincere apology for the mishap that occurred. This is not the normal service standards and accuracy of our shuttle services as seen by the many positive TripAdvisor comments on our shuttle program. Please have my assurance that we will be working to ensure this does not reoccur. I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed the rest of your stay with us though, and please do not hesitate to email me at jerry.bindel@astonhotels.com if I can be of any assistance to you in the future.
Monterey, California
Reviewed July 29, 2012

We held our family reunion for 25 adults and 5 children aged four and under at Lakeland Village Resort, and we couldn't have been happier. The setting and the accommodations were absolutely beautiful. All condos are within easy walk of the private beach, the Lakeview section with a generous view of the lake.

The staff was extremely helpful and friendly, from Reception, to Housekeeping, to Maintenance. You really got the feeling they were going out of their way to provide you with the most wonderful experience possible. As busy as they were, they worked very hard to help you with whatever you needed.

I would reccommend this resort to any family looking to have the best, most relaxed vacation possible at South Lake Tahoe.

Room Tip: The Lakeview rooms are very nice, most with decks that look out on the lake. Our group stayed also i...
Fort Lauderdale, Florida, United States
Reviewed July 27, 2012

Arrived at noon and told check In was 4pm but would try to accommodate sooner. 4pm came and staff advised room would not be ready until 5. After complaining they found a room for us 20 minutes later that was nothing like the photos on line - room was old, dirty carpet, smelled awful and no place anyone would want to stay. Complained and moved rooms which was just as bad as the first. Checked out and demanded refund. 1.5 hours of hell with terrible front desk service with better options elsewhere.

Room Tip: rooms are dirty and have a nasty smell
4 Thank Jason W
Dear JasonW,
Thank you for your posting and my sincere apology for the check-in challenges you experienced. This is not at all indicative of our normal quality and services standards as seen by the many other positive TripAdvisor postings. We will be immediately researching the unit you were checked in to and will make all needed corrections quickly. If I can be of any additional assistance to you, please email me at jerry.bindel@astonhotels.com. Thank you again.
Reviewed July 25, 2012

I would stay here again for sure. Great beach area and pool. The whole staff very friendly. A great free shuttle to take you anywhere. Our room was updated in kitchen but still loved the mountain decor.

• Stayed July 2012