We went to Lake Tahoe for the US Labour Day weekend. We were expecting Swiss-style location, pretty-little towns, easy lake access, the ability to stroll around to etc, beach-side cafes, promenades. Like you'd find in Nice, Brighton, De Panne, even Clacton !
The hotel is OK-ish. Very big and rather cramped - there is a large Marriott next door which bears down on it, and then across the border in Nevada three huge casino resorts which are a real eye-sore. So a little more space would be nice.
What would also be nice is beach access ! The beach is less than a 10 minute walk away - this being America though, most people seem to have lost the use of their legs, and the place is over-run with cars. This is not helped by the fact that South Lake Tahoe town is a building site - walking to the nearest beach is virtually impossible because there are few pavements at the side of the roads !
Once you get to the beach, you are in for a shock. It is PRIVATE. In fact, there are NO beaches in South Lake Tahoe that are public. And no facilities at the beach - no cafes, no promenades, nothing. This was a REAL downer - we LOVE our walks along the beachfront, stopping to look in a restaurants, having the odd G&T by the water-side. Not here. Other than the few pizza places around the hotel, there really is nothing that you can walk to for dinner (and some of those stop serving RIDICULOUSLY early - by 9pm we were the last people in one pizza place at a holiday weekend and they were shutting up !)
The other major drawback is the town itself. It is a dump on the Californian side with unmade roads and pavements, tatty houses and shops, a total lack of order. Loads of scruffy campsites with ancient tumbledown shacks. Nasty. Then you get across to Nevada, and it is high-rise hotels with bright-lights, noise and casinos ! Pretty, it ain't. Which is a shame, because once you get out of the town onto the road around the lake, it is beautiful.
So, it's an OK-ish hotel in a dump of an area, surrounded by some stunning scenery. A real mixed bag.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Lake Tahoe Resort Hotel is South Lake Tahoe's only all-suite lodging option. Located at the base of Heavenly Mountain Resort and moments from world-class gaming, dining, ice-skating, golf, shopping, hiking, biking, entertainment, and lake activities. Our stylish Lake Tahoe accommodations are perfect for families, corporate meetings & retreats, social functions, groups, Weddings, or an adventure vacation. Every hotel reservation at Lake Tahoe Resort Hotel includes a comfortable two-room suite, free breakfast buffet, and a nightly happy hour. Discover this outstanding Lake Tahoe lodging resort and destination, make your reservation today. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cancelon, HotelsforEveryone and HotelQuickly so you can book your Lake Tahoe Resort Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Embassy Suites Lake Tahoe Hotel South Lake Tahoe
- Embassy Suites South Lake Tahoe
- Lake Tahoe Embassy Suites