“Could Be Cool, But Ask About Weddings First”

Beach Retreat & Lodge at Tahoe
Ranked #10 of 65 Hotels in South Lake Tahoe
Reviewed June 4, 2014

We opted for a 1st floor beach access room for our anniversary. We arrived Friday night to find there was a very loud wedding occurring on the property 20 feet from out room. We checked onto out room and immediately went outside to see the view and enjoy some wine and found out all we could here was the wedding.I did go in an complain about the noise and they said the wedding would be over by 10 pm . This was disappointing but we were tired and kind of let it go for the day.

The next day we went out for nice breakfast and returned to find they were not only having another reception that day , they were also holding the ceremony in front of our room porch.. Again just hugely disappointed that they would rent these rooms to people without informing them that I wouldn't be able to enjoy the room we paid for.

The day we checked out I let them know how disappointed about our stay and they offered nothing more then a sorry. Now I am not old and nor against weddings and a good time, but when I stay at a place named BEACH RETREAT I expect a level of retreat. It should be called Beach Annoyingly Loud Weddings and No Relaxation Allowed Lodge. I guarantee we weren't the only ones at the hotel hugely disappointed about the noise and the wedding minus the people that were there for the wedding.

I wanted an ounce of understanding from the hotel and got dismissed by hotel staff. With all the places to stay at Tahoe we will not be coming back here ....

Room Tip: Call ahead to make sure they aren't having a wedding when you stay or you will be sorely disappo...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Rideborba
Write a ReviewReviews (1,131)

Reviewed June 1, 2014 via mobile

We recently stayed here for 3 nights as a rest period between Vegas and San Fran... We wanted somewhere quiet to relax after a busy week I'm Vegas and a busy week ahead. We upgraded to the beach/lake view (room 302) it was absolutely stunning- the room is made so comfy and cosy and has everything you need. The view was incredible and the local restaurant the boathouse was amazing- great staff and great food with amazing views!
The hotel is really pretty the only thing that let's it down slightly is the bathroom is very dated/plain but it was extremely clean and didn't bother us at all.
We fell in love with the hotel and Lake Tahoe and had great fun on the lake hiring boats and parasailing!
We hope to return again one day! :)

Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank KPTAFF
Reviewed May 28, 2014

We booked a garden view room for two nights. That was the only room option available for us since we had a pet. They charge an extra $20 per night for having a pet and they make you sign some sort of waiver for your pet. I would have preferred not to pay extra for a pet since they are pet friendly.

The room itself is great. The beds could have been firmer but if you are the type of person who likes pillow top mattresses then you will love this. They had a fireplace in the room, which was nice. It worked when I needed some heat. No bath tub in the bathroom though. The place was clean and we really had a great time.

But we spent most of our times outdoors. The best thing about this hotel is the location -- I can just walk down to the beach in a few steps. That in itself is amazing. I dont mind that I did not have a lake view room because I had my pet with me. I could still walk to the beach. They had a heated pool. It was hot for most people but not me. Its a personal preference though but I would have liked it hotter. They were supposed to have a hot tub but that was under renovation when we were there. We also loved the fact that the dock was there and the boat rental place was just beside the dock. We rented a paddle boat and had a great time.

The only thing that irked me during our stay was that they did not clean our room until after we called and after 2 pm. The service lady did not even refill the toilet paper or the coffee.

All in all though, we will definitely be coming back here. We just love the place and the location.

Room Tip: I booked through hotwire and I got a really good rate. If you have pets, make sure to call the hotel...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank pinkfallacy
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Property is former Best Western timber cove at tahoe. I stayed here because they allow dogs for $20 extra. Room was probably in worst location in hotel - on bottom floor at bottom of stairwell next to a room used by staff for breaks & laundry folding as far as I could tell. Could hear upstairs noise also. But, in spite of this my room was comfortable with a big bed and it was clean. Also had sliding door to grassy area which was good for doggie. I had stayed here before and there are much more scenic rooms. It's a nice place to stay, and after they finish remodel, it will probably be better.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
3  Thank N G
Reviewed May 26, 2014

We stayed one night and booked the Lakeview room for additional $20 through hotels.com. We specifically booked this room with a view as it was for a birthday celebration. We arrived early for check in and was told our room will not be ready till about 3 pm and they will try their best to give us a room with the view. The staff told us that the booking we made was for a partial view room. Didn't quite get what they mean and we came back to check in around 3 pm hoping to get the room with a view but they were still not ready , so we checked in around 7pm . The room was on the ground floor, with a big tree blocking the lake and some parts of other building.We were quite disappointed and called to request if theres a better room and they just rudely replied that all rooms were fully booked. On a second call they staff, Stephanie explained that it's the expedia and hotels.com fault for not stating clearly that the room we booked is partial view.Upon further clarification from the manager, Geneva, she told us that we have to pay extra $40 and booked through the hotel if we want a full Lakeview room. She said her manager, Kimberly would clarify the communication with hotels.com. I just feel the hotel management are misleading and just anyhow lay the blame on hotels.com as long people can be duped into thinking what they are booking is really a lake view when in fact it's just a partial view with a big tree blocking. What a big dissappointment they are.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
10  Thank Mtravel19
Reviewed May 26, 2014 via mobile

Stayed one night in a double beach view room #321. Paid 179 thru priceline. 3rd story Room overlooked the beach and pier. Smaller room but updated flatscreen. Had a patio as well with two chairs. You are paying for the view and location to the beach. They are renovating the restaurant and hot tub/gym facilities. The location gets a lot of traffic from people going to the public beach so parking can become tough to find. Beds are doubles not queens so be prepared to get comfy for a family of four. Beds were on the springy side and floor was slightly uneven. Room was perfectly clean. Try to get the third floor as it was quiet. Steps to the beach make for a nice family getaway. Water at this beach is only 3 or so feet deep and stays that way all the way past the pier, a good 200 yds out. Great for the kids and keeps the lake from getting to chilly. Beach gets fairly busy and there is only one public bathroom at the pier which gets a line quickly. The pool was pretty much vacant while we were there because the water at the lake was so nice. Pool is 3'9" shallow and 6' deep end. I did not see towels available while we were there. There was an outside gas firepit next to the pool area. Would stay here again simply due to the location to the beach.

Great spot to stay for a sunset view and a nice morning view of the lake as well.

Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank 4CacheMonkeys
Reviewed May 26, 2014

Stayed for one night in May in the lake view room, second floor,building D. Comfortable bed. Gas fire place made the room toasty and warm, albeit makes a slight noise. Cozy room decorations with a nautical cabin feel. Stone's throw away from the beach. I believe they made renovations on the hotel but it seems they forgot to change the carpet and the bathrooms as they seem outdated compared with the rest of the room. Shower stall is tiny. The front lobby was under construction during our stay but we were not disturb by the noise. However, we were disturb during the middle of the night because we can hear the footsteps of the people in the room above us and whenever they use their restroom. If you are are looking for a hotel with a great location, this is your hotel. If you are looking forward to relax, find another place or get a room on the top floor.

Room Tip: Get the top floor
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple