“WOW!”

Beach Retreat & Lodge at Tahoe
Ranked #10 of 65 Hotels in South Lake Tahoe
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Wow! What a delightful place! The staff was fantastic from the first moment that I called and spoke with Noah who assigned us a lovely room with a gorgeous view! Also, Mario, Yvonne, Kevin and everyone at the front desk were so kind and helpful :o) Yvonne was so generous in allowing us a late check out which allowed us a blissful last walk on the stunning beach. The most amazing thing about this place is that it is right on the beach, and it's a quiet private feeling beach (at least in mid June). There is this very long, wonderful pier right behind the hotel, and it's so much fun to stroll down there and watch the sunset. One of the most beautiful sunsets I have ever seen in my life (as beautiful as a Maui, HI sunset). While you're there make sure to have breakfast at Kitchen34eleven. The menu is wonderful. We had the breakfast salmon pizza which is OUT OF THIS WORLD YUMMY! It's a fresh baked pizza crust topped with cream cheese, eggs, capers and smoked salmon. Exquisite. Luis used to work at Wolfgang Puck and he designed the breakfast menu, and it has some absolutely unique and delightful items. We also had the Antioxidant Breakfast which included 6 oz of grilled salmon, greek yogurt, blueberries, green tea and cantalope! Amazingly good! Luis, Hector and Juan provided fantastic service each morning and then we were off to walk that beautiful beach. I must also mention what a fantastic job that housekeeping did every single day, and with a smile! This is a well run hotel in one of the most beautiful parts of the country. It not a super luxurious hotel, but it's really comfortable and has everything that you need. We really enjoyed ourselves. For the price, it is a super value!! I can't remember the last time I got this much for my money. If you are looking for a relaxing, clean, well run, comfortable hotel with a wonderful breakfast at a very fair price, this is the perfect place to stay!

1  Thank GriffinCrowley
Write a ReviewReviews (1,131)

Reviewed June 13, 2013

When I booked a King-lakefront; I guess I was expecting a little more.

The room was small. Not particularly a killer but again the expectations were much higher. And "lakefront" was really "lake-partial-view-at-a-slant". Kind of annoying on top of that is when you sit on the small balcony; the railing is right at eye height. So you either stand on the deck and enjoy the partial lake view or stare at the railing. And when I say small ... the bathroom reminded me of a cruise-ship.

However, I will say that our room was very clean and the bed was comfortable. It was enjoyable to walk the long pier in the evenings.

The other slight disappointments was the lack of small refrigerator and microwave. Also the TV was an old CRT ... which are starting to become dinosaurs in their own right. We stayed in an ~old hotel in Truckee the night before that had a HD flat screen.

So the question of staying here again comes down to cost. If BRL@T was a decent discount to other lakeside property, then I might stay here again. But at even money; I would find another option.

Room Tip: There are only 16 LakeFront rooms and most others are partial-view. If it matters to you, be specif...
Reviewed June 12, 2013

I stayed at the Beach Retreat as part of a family vacation in the Reno/Tahoe area. The hotel was in a great location right on Lake Tahoe with its own beach. The staff was helpful, pleasant, and exceeded what would be expected from a 2.5 star property. We stayed in a family suite, which provided room to spread out and a fireplace. I look forward to staying here again.

Room Tip: The property is not large so access to the beach is easy from any of the rooms.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Kimberly S, Manager at Beach Retreat & Lodge at Tahoe, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2013

ElGuru71,
Thanks so much for staying with us and we are glad you had such a good time. Be sure to come back this summer for Summer of Sun and Fun, starting June 21. Later today, our website will have all of the details. Hope to see you soon!

Reviewed June 12, 2013

Nice king room w/fireplace & balcony - beautiful view of the lake & pier! The 2 restaurants on site had really good food & service! Enjoyed the private beach & pool, staff was friendly & helpful, nice room decor. We got a great value w/Travel Zoo deal, staying 2 nights w/a $40.00 food credit for $169.00!!! We checked into staying an extra night, but it would have been $139.00! Quick taxi service to casinos! Safeway is right across the street & there's a easy walking/bike trail out front that takes you to a nearby park w/awesome scenery & public beach. Can't wait to go back & would highly recommend-dog friendly too! :) Lots of amenities!

Reviewed June 10, 2013

We bought a Bloomspot voucher for an upgraded King Lakeview room - but ran into some bumps because the voucher was not specific in saying that these rooms are not pet friendly (we were going to bring dogs). The hotel made an exception for us, which was nice, but the way the woman on the phone sounded, it was like she was bending over backwards for us and we should be SOOOO grateful (even though I had spoken to someone at the hotel when I told them I was bringing 2 dogs and was in a lakeview room and was not told anything that time about the room not being pet-friendly).

This property used to be a Best Western. If I had done my research, I would have known that before buying the voucher. Shame on me. The room was small and the carpet perpetually felt slightly damp. The bed was too soft and sagged a bit in the middle. Because the room opened to the outside, you can hear people in the parking lot.

Very disappointed overall.

1  Thank atlanta14

Atlanta14,
Please accept our apologies for your less than fantastic stay. We do love having pets at the Beach Retreat, but we reserve specific garden view rooms for our four-legged friends. Thank you for pointing out the confusion -- we will make sure all of our staff members are up-to-date on all programs and policies.
We are in the middle of a guest room renovation, and it should be complete by the end of the month. We hope you will come back and give us another change, especially with all of the activities and programs we have going on this summer. Thank you for letting us know your experience and let me know if you return and what we can do to make that experience a much better one.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

We enjoyed two nights at this hotel. The beds are comfortable and the linens seemed new. We suggest the beach rooms. The view of the lake is fantastic. The staff was extra nice and accommodating. Vickie

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Vickie R
Reviewed May 25, 2013

Arriving in May from England after the ski season the hotel was still busy. We paid a little extra to get a room over looking the lake and it was well worth it....The room was clean with a gas fire and A/C if needed....view from balcony was wonderful showing the lake and the mountains. Room was 20 seconds from the beach and hotel had a pool as well .....did not try the restaurant as Tahoe have plenty to choose from and the casinos are only 5 minutes away ....Overall an ideal location and hotel. We would stay here again.

Room Tip: Payable little extra and get a room on"B"block over looking the lake for a great view. Oth...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple