“Great quiet location”

Ranked #11 of 66 Hotels in South Lake Tahoe
Bedford, United Kingdom
“Great quiet location”
Reviewed May 25, 2013

Arriving in May from England after the ski season the hotel was still busy. We paid a little extra to get a room over looking the lake and it was well worth it....The room was clean with a gas fire and A/C if needed....view from balcony was wonderful showing the lake and the mountains. Room was 20 seconds from the beach and hotel had a pool as well .....did not try the restaurant as Tahoe have plenty to choose from and the casinos are only 5 minutes away ....Overall an ideal location and hotel. We would stay here again.

Room Tip: Payable little extra and get a room on"B"block over looking the lake for a great view. Oth...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (283)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Sacramento, California
Reviewed May 9, 2013

We booked through Expedia - it was a GREAT DEAL and we were looking forward to what the trip had to offer. We were hoping to enjoy the beach! Unfortunately, the weather was poor (rainy and cold) and we did not get to take advantage of what the hotel had to offer.

PROS:
- Central location to South Lake Tahoe - easy access to lots of shopping, restaurants, and casinos
- Beach front property and very picturesque
- WiFi was easy to use and about 5mbps down 1mbps up

CONS:
- The room was EXTREMELY small (estimated 300 sq.ft. which includes the bathroom space)
- The service we received was below par and was unwilling to work with us
- The beach was littered with goose and duck droppings
- The tv seemed like it would die at times
- No microwave and mini fridge
- Their sister restaurant did not offer room service and Kitchen34Eleven seemed pricey
- We charged a $50/day deposit, which was not disclosed upfront

Given that the weather was not cooperating, we had to spend more time in the room than we had previously planned. When we got there, it looked like they did NOT have full capacity and they had their "VACANCY" sign lit up the whole 4 days we spent there. We were placed in the 2nd floor - to which we had concerns about noise. We requested for us to be moved to the 3rd floor and we were told that "they did not have anything available". When we got to our room, we were wondering where our "Lake view" was - but the lake was visible from the porch toward the back. As mentioned, we tried to order room service... We were happy that we got pizza delivered without issue.

The fireplace/heater worked great - but can get loud when you are sleeping. Between that and the noise from the guest above, sometimes falling back asleep was futile. We found out the next day we were charged a "$50/day deposit" - which wasn't an issue, but would have been nice for the front desk to divulge that info when we first checked in.

The place has a lot of potential. It has a great location and very romantic setting. I think hotel service could be better - and despite the small room, better amenities can be offered.

Room Tip: If you book this hotel, try to get a room on the 3rd floor as noise is an issue
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank ValerioV122
Kimberly S, Manager at Beach Retreat & Lodge at Tahoe, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Dear ValerioV122,

Thank you for taking the time to write. We apologize that our services did not meet your expectations and want to do all that we can to remedy that. As you may know, we have a new name and new ownership as of December 1, 2012. We are in the process of making a lot of changes, both to the physical property and to the service standards. We are currently renovating our rooms, so that may have been the reason a 3rd floor room was not available. I am curious as to which room you were in, as the fireplace should not make any noise at all, and we want to make sure the one in your room is repaired.

You are so right when you say that the property has a lot of potential. Over the next several months, a lot of changes and updates will be happening, including launching a summer program with daily activities (rain or shine!). I hope you give us the opportunity to welcome you again. If so, please ask for me or for our general manager as we would like to apologize in person and see if there is anything we can do to make your next stay absolutely delightful.

Kimberly Sundt
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed April 26, 2013

I booked my reservation from the living social I purchased. Being a business owner who has worked with groupon I understood the compromises you make with purchasing a discounted service. I called to schedule my dates and was sooooo happy with the service I received from the staff. Soo accommodating because it will be my honeymoon! After reading all the reviews and after experiencing such amazing customer service I can't wait! I never travel without my ear plugs so I am definitely looking forward to this amazing trip! My trip will be May 13-16

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Emily T
Vancouver
Reviewed April 11, 2013

I was traveling with my 85 pound German Sheppard dog. It's not easy to find hotels willing to accept large dogs. This hotel was GREAT. A perfect location on the south end of Lake Tahoe with easy access to Stateline. I'd stay there again with or without the dog.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
9 Thank CanukChef
Cameron Park
Reviewed March 15, 2013

We were a group of 10 and booked 5 lake view rooms. All of the rooms were very clean and nicely decorated. Allthough small, we all thought they had a warm and cozy feeling. The setting is lovely, right on a private beach with access to water sports and activities. There is a nice little restaurant and bar located on their pier which is a great place to have a drink and enjoy the spectacular Tahoe views. I don't recommend the lobby restaurant though, we had breakfast there and the food and service was not good. There are alot of other places to go within walking distance. There are some things you should consider before booking this place.
-Bring ear plugs, the heaters are really loud and you might have a barking dog next door.
-If you don't REALLY like dogs, this probably isn't the place for you. There are alot of them running around. We were there at low season so the price was good, I'm not sure the high season price is a good value.

Room Tip: Ask for lake view rooms in building B, they are right at the water.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank Roberta D
Dublin, California
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Lake Tahoe is one of my favorite places on earth and when I visit, I prefer to stay right by Stateline, but sometimes that just can't happen and this time, I'm glad I couldn't! I ended up staying at The Beach Retreat & Lodge and I loved it. When I drove up, I was a little concerned because it looks a little old and maybe a little outdated, but I was pleasantly surprised all the way around. The room was nice with a gas fireplace and nice hardwood molding throughout. The bathroom is small but plenty enough room to clean up.

I loved the location right on the beach and the nice pier and restaurant on the pier too, but the real gem for me was their restaurant located i the lobby! The food was good, the prices extremely reasonable and the staff was very nice.

While this might not be a 5 star location, I would highly recommend this location for all types of travelers, as I believe they have something for everyone, including free wifi.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
7 Thank im2tlkativ
San Francisco, California
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Nice hotel for an average stay with a friend before hitting the slopes. Friendly staff, clean rooms, a queen is really for 1 person only. Enjoyed the hot tub, and almost enjoyed sleeping too, if the air vented heater was not turning on super loud every 15 minutes. The only option was turning it off, then found ourselves freezing. Wonder how other guests could sleep, noone mentioned the issue.
Result: slept about 2 hours and went to ski exhausted. Solution: stay here in the summer only, or bring ear plugs, or get so wasted that no noise will bother you, or try to warm up in some other ways... or just take the ski bus.

Room Tip: Bring earlplugs.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends