“VERY DISSAPOINTED THEY GOT RID OF THE FREE BREAKFAST!”

Beach Retreat & Lodge at Tahoe
Ranked #11 of 65 Hotels in South Lake Tahoe
Reviewed February 23, 2013

We stayed here 3 times before when it was the Best Western (not sure why it's not anymore). Anyways, one reason why we stayed at the Best Western before, was the fantastic complementary breakfast buffet. We were very upset that when the hotel was sold, they no longer offer the breakfast. They wanted to charge like $16 for adult and $8 kid for breakfast. Ridiculous! The restaurant was 100% empty (breakfast and dinner) the entire week we stayed there. The breakfast was very convenient before, especially with kids, and also for eating before hitting the ski slopes. The jacuzzi is too small also. It would be nicer if they added a second jacuzzi out by the pool. Great views, very convenient parking.

3  Thank SkiSandLLL
Write a ReviewReviews (1,146)

Reviewed February 20, 2013

We stayed at the Beach Retreat over the weekend and booked it through Expedia. Great place. Great view. Great price. Pet friendly hotel. Our room was on B-109 and you can see from my image below that your view of the lake and the Boathouse. The TV can use some upgrade - still have the "tube" and unable to connect any external devices, such as Xbox. The bed size seems to be more of a full size bed instead of two queen size beds. The room we stayed in had fire place (gas) kept us warm in our room.The place is near Safeway, CVS and other restaurants, all at a walking distance.

Reviewed February 11, 2013

Paid extra to get a lake-view room. Was worth it. They have full size beds in their double beds though. The fireplace was fantastic! Parking is pretty convenient. The hotel also has beach access. Would be even better in the summer!

3  Thank Mohit V
Reviewed February 9, 2013

Location was great, room was clean and comfortable. The fireplace was a nice touch. Service was excellent. Highly recommend this hotel if you're looking for simple clean convenient stay while In Tahoe.

• Stayed: February 2013
3  Thank LaytonFam
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Great place to stay for a view of Lake Tahoe. Kids were able to play on the beach and in the snow. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Rooms have gas fireplace and are very cozy. The beach is very nice and in the winter there is a small hill to sled on. The longest pier out into the lake is right at the hotel and is a nice walk.

Room Tip: Rooms on bottom floor with a view of the lake open right up to the Lake Tahoe beach.
3  Thank Troy B
Reviewed February 1, 2013

I booked online at the hotel website for a beach facing 2 double bed room. Arrived at the hotel, and they couldn't find reservation. They have 2 systems (pegasus and their own) and my reservation didn't get recorded on their hotel system. They commented that this is a constant issue for them and next time please use expedia or call directly. Half an hour later, I got keys to a single bed room. Went back and this time got keys to two double bed, parking lot facing at the price of beach facing. Went back and corrected rate. I thought that they are having growing pains after converting from Best Western until I saw my credit card bill. I was billed twice, once by the hotel and second time (their claim) pegasus. I have called and left message for their manager 4 times so far. No return calls. Now I am working with credit card company to remove fraudulent charge.

Room Tip: Watch your credit card for fraudulent charges
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
7  Thank NalNat
Kimberly S, Manager at Beach Retreat & Lodge at Tahoe, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2013

My apologies for what you recently experienced while staying with us. Though I am so sorry about the series of things that happened, I do appreciate you taking the time to let us know, so that we can address each of these issues, discover the breakdown, and fix the problem.

As you mentioned, we are going through many changes and one of those is to work to ensure that each guest is relaxed, feels take care of, and has a fantastic experience. This obviously is not what you experienced, so if you would please call me and leave your email or phone number, I would like to chat with you and discuss. Neither myself nor any managers I have spoken with have received any messages, so please ask for me directly. Thank you, and I hope we will see you again as a guest at The Beach Retreat.

Steven Scheck

Reviewed January 11, 2013

Plus: Parking in front of room door makes ski gear loading/unloading easy
Room is not horrible once you're inside. Think remodeled 1960's TravelLodge with 2003 design.
Walk across parking lot for breakfast at Heidi's

Cons:
Well, it's not really even 3-stars now, is it?
It's a budget place. Next time I'll skip Hotwire and book a place I know for a few bucks extra.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank JALL_517