“Heidi's in superaltives”

Heidi's Pancake House
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Description: We've been providing top quality local food and service since 1964.Heidi's Pancake House, as our locals have named us, is the perfect spot to enjoy a delicious meal with a group of friends. Not only do we serve breakfast, but we also have burgers, salads, beer and wine. We also cater! Locals love us and tourists do too. Stop by next time you are in the South Lake Tahoe area!
Reviewed April 7, 2009

For thirty-five years I've anticipated eagerly Heidi's breakfasts with my trips to South Lake Tahoe. First, I'm greeted warmly. Both the hostess and quaint wood decor invite me. I am always served with efficiency and pleasantness. I love to explore different parts of the breakfast menu, especially the more unusual ones. Each order tastes as good as it looks. Yesterday I enjoyed a Belgian Waffle with Apple and Granola Topping and more than enough whipped cream.

In the past, I have occasionally had to wait in line. Always I have been treated courteously, including the one who checks me out.

Heidi's offers the best food and atmosphere of any breakfast restaurant at Lake Tahoe.

Reviewed March 2, 2009

Since we like to get on the slopes early, we usually don' eat breakfast out. But, based on forum reviews, we decided to drive to Heidi's on our "day off". First of all the decor is absolutely charming. We were greeted and seated promptly. The menu seemed to have enough variety to please anyone. Our breakfast was just plain okay, no complaints, but nothing to rave about either. My husband had an omelet and I had eggs and ham. I think we probably could have had a similar good hearty breakfast at another local restaurant for a more reasonable cost. The service was fine but even thought the place was not busy, we still had the feeling we were being rushed by our server.

Reviewed February 23, 2009

We visited Heidi's for breakfast while in South Lake Tahoe since it was very close to the resort we were staying at and we'd heard good things about it.

The menu offers a good variety of breakfast foods but in typical American fashion, the portions are too big and too much. The skillet I ordered was double what I could eat, and the waffles and pancakes that my family ordered were doused in sugary fruit syrups. My dad had a standard egg and sausage meal that wasn't anything special, and while he said the sausages were fine, they looked grey and re-heated to me.

What we did like about this place was that the coffee was good, the servers were attentive and there was a nice selection to please all of us. It was a good place to fill up before a long day on the slopes. Just be warned that this place isn't as cheap as you'd expect and isn't all it's hyped up to be.

Reviewed January 11, 2009

We started off the new year with a trip to Heidi's and it was a terrific breakfast--hopefully an indicator to what will be a terrific year! While the wait was a tad bit long, we understood that Heidi's is a popular stop for both tourists and locals alike so we didn't mind.

The service was incredible. The waitress was extremely friendly, attentive, and seemed to know what we needed before we even asked.

The food itself was wonderful, especially after a long night of celebrating on the strip. My in-laws enjoyed their breakfasts immensely and I wish I could remember what they ordered. All I can remember is that my mother-in-law claimed it was the best breakfast she had. In fact, they had gone to Heidi's prior and wanted us "kids" to try them out ourselves.

There were so many menu options and they all looked delicious but in the end I chose the platter with the country biscuits and gravy. I chose right. The biscuits were soft and flaky and the sausage gravy fantastic! I am a sucker for good biscuits and gravy and any restaurant will win me over with those!

The only negative was my fiance's potatoes, which were undercooked. He had ordered some kind of skillet with avocado and feta and other than the potatoes he enjoyed the meal. He especially liked their toast!

I don't know why so many people wrote negative reviews for this establishment. I'd rather go to Heidi's than IHOP any day.

Thank you, Heidi's, for starting off 2009 right!

Reviewed September 15, 2008

My girlfriend and I went to Heidi's after seeing an ad proclaiming "Best Breakfast in Tahoe". So hopes were high. I usually judge breakfast places on how well they can cook my favorite dish: eggs over-medium. Not a hard one to screw up. Right between over-easy and over-hard. We got our food very quickly and right away I can see these meals are not cooked to order. I must also add that I have a fear of my food being tampered with, so sending food back is never an option for me.

The eggs were cold and not even cooked all the way to over-easy. You could still see the clear, undercooked egg whites in places. Bacon - cold. Potatoes - cold. Pancakes - cold. Coffee - watery. It was fairly obvious that plates of eggs are cooked beforehand and grabbed when needed. This was made obvious by the table next to me where the lady ordered one egg and got two. The waitress said, "I asked for one and they just gave me two!" Lucky her.

The only thing that tasted decent was the butter. That butter made for some pretty good toast and helped with my cold pancakes. The waitress was also incredibly nice. Overall, stay away. If a restaurant doesn't even bother to cook your meal to order, they obviously don't care for their own food or their customers. Over-medium eggs aren't rocket science. And paying over $25 for two lousy breakfasts, before tip, is a complete waste of money here. Go to IHOP, go to Denny's, go to McDonald's. Go anywhere else but here!