“Sadly disappointed”

Heidi's Pancake House
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Description: We've been providing top quality local food and service since 1964.Heidi's Pancake House, as our locals have named us, is the perfect spot to enjoy a delicious meal with a group of friends. Not only do we serve breakfast, but we also have burgers, salads, beer and wine. We also cater! Locals love us and tourists do too. Stop by next time you are in the South Lake Tahoe area!
Reviewed October 14, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I were very excited to eat here on our visit to Tahoe. The breakfast at Dennys was better and cheaper. It wasn't terrible, but not very good.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

Wife and I went here on a recent weekend trip to Tahoe. Based on the generally positive reviews on TA, we had high hopes and we really wanted to like this place. And given that the place was crowded and we had to wait for a table (even in off season) had us expecting something better. Unfortunately, about the only good thing I can say about Heidi's is that the decor is quaint and charming. Sort of an old Bavarian feel with lots of antiques and nice little decorative touches.

As for the food, it left much to be desired. Wife had a plain waffle. It was just OK. It actually looked pretty good but didn't have much flavor. I had a short-stack of buttermilk pancakes with blueberries. What they don't tell you is that the short stack pancakes are very small. We saw people at other tables getting huge fluffy pancakes that appeared to be 8" across and filled up the plate. But the regular stack was 6 pancakes and I didn't want that much, so I ordered the short stack of 4. They were thin and maybe only 4" across. Worse, they were cold. Couldn't even melt the ice cold scoop of butter they put on top. Even worse, they apparently dumped an entire can (yes, a can) of syrupy sweet blueberries on top. At least those had been heated to luke warm. But there were so many of them I that I could barely see or taste the pancakes underneath. Maybe that was the idea. I also ordered a side of bacon. Unfortunately, it was also room temperature cold. Too bad, because it was probably the best part. It was nice thick bacon and cooked just the way I like it - chewy, not crispy. It had a good flavor, and had it been hot (or even warm) I would've enjoyed it. The service was extremely fast. We had our food within 2-3 minutes after ordering. In hind sight, that was probably a clue. I suspect they are just mass-producing food in the kitchen and then letting it sit until someone orders, apparently not even under a heat lamp. Sadly, once the food was delivered (with the check at the same time), we never saw our waitress again to complain about the food. All in all, a very disappointing meal and we will not go back.

1  Thank ElliottCooper
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Heidi's offers a wide range of options on its menu. We ate there only once while we were in South Lake Tahoe, but the food was delicious and the service very good. Our coffee cups were never empty and our food was quick and hot when it arrived. Heidi's has the usual breakfast as well as lots of other options. It is always crowded for a good reason- their food is worth the wait. We will definitely return when we are in the area/

Reviewed October 10, 2013

worlds friendliest people, the food is outstanding, the decor is spot on. I can just picture this place in the snow. My coffee cup was never empty. This is myy 4th visit to Tahoe and no visit would be complete without coming to Heidi's for a heaty breakfast. I love this place.

Reviewed October 8, 2013

Not terrible but not a place I would return. Service was good. Food just regular. Being a family place and local for so long, I just figured it would be more special. I had the crepes. They seemed to be using simple pancake batter. I had wanted to get waffles but without the option of pure maple syrup - that was a no go. Chose strawberry and it came as a gooey sauce, rather than fresh slices. Husband had omelette which he said was fine. For breakfast - it was very expensive. Just two of us for $30. Guess I should have read more reviews!