“Stellar Scenery - but go on another cruise for better time”
Review of Tahoe Queen - CLOSED

Tahoe Queen
More attraction details
Owner description: Glass-bottom-boat tours by day, dining and dancing at night.
Fremont, California
3,528 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2,778 helpful votes
“Stellar Scenery - but go on another cruise for better time”
Reviewed May 31, 2013

Its a 5 star experience - blue 70 degree weather, gorgeous blue skies; beautiful snow capped mountains; blue water; wonderful Emerald Bay - gorgeous setting. Yeah - I loved the scenery; the cruise; the beautiful Tahoe experience (just ignore the inexperienced ) staff and you will have a great time. =

The staff is inexperienced. The Tahoe Queen runs to handle the overflow summer crowds - so if you were thinking of enjoying the sun deck, you will be bombarded with such messages as get off the sun deck throughout your cruise. We will forcefully tell you to move down to deck 1 and 2 if you don't....
OK - what a wonderful message even if you are sitting on deck 1 and 2 and its not impacting you. Yeah - its the overflow summer boat when weather is nice so what do you expect...duh?

The staff is inexperienced and some down right rude in May (probably as they are learning their job). The person we had on deck 1 had no idea how to go about and get orders from each table. So if you want lunch eat before.You can still stand in line at the bartender to order a drink and get some chips(don't expect him to thank you for a generous tip though or expect him to remember your order as you have to tell him 4 times for 2 items.....duh).

The boat handles 500 people - even if you bought your ticket on line, you have to stand in line to check in. The person works hard - yeah the person - not two or three as most people of course show up right before loading time. The line is long, the people are grumpy by the time they board.

Photographer is inexperienced....some get a picture of the boat in the background (good), but others get a picture of the sand - huh? Get someone who can take a picture with the boat in every single picture....your old fashioned camera does not delight me ....if you cannot take a picture.

If you give them a tip, they will not thank you (or at least that is in May when they are learning how to do their jobs.)

And parking - ok, it costs $10 and you can sort of understand that given the small lot and the boat wants to be sure the passengers can park close by. So they have a staff member directing you to the right lot when you arrive - you have to talk to them. At many venues you could just pay them at that point - $10.00 No -you have to keep all your receipts ticket, and then join the long line of cars wanting to exit at the end of the day. There is one booth - the person works hard but given all the documentation, its a slow slow crawl and completely unnecessary.

So if you want to go out on the lake - please do. Stellar experience. Go on Ms Dixie where the staff is trained; go on many of the other sightseeing boats, but avoid the Tahoe Queen (they will get enough tour groups going through so don't worry about the boat going out ---)
You will just have a much more exceptional and stellar experience on any of the other Tahoe cruises.

3 Thank mini

Foster City, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Double Billed Me”
Reviewed May 27, 2013

First, the actual boat cruise part of the Tahoe Queen experience was great. They have plenty of seats, good food, and several different viewing areas onboard to make the lake trip very worthwhile.

The parent company, Aramark, double billed me for the trip. I reserved and paid for it online, and the following day when I showed up to get my tickets, they charged me again saying that the online booking never went through and they had "had problems with their web site."

When I got home from my Tahoe trip I check my credit card statement online and found that Aramark had billed me for both the online payment and the payment I made at the ticket office the day of the cruise.

I tried to tell the person selling tickets that I had an online confirmation but she was extremely rude and said that no payment had been made and if I wanted the lake cruise that day, I'd need to pay at the ticket office.

Do enjoy the cruise but be very careful about your payments to this company...I currently have an open disputed charge with them.

3 Thank Steve H
London, United Kingdom
“Great cruise”
Reviewed May 26, 2013

The staff were friendly and the cruise was relaxing and scenic.
I have a discount voucher if anyone wants it for one person, contact me privately.
Thanks

Cottonwood, California
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Don't go if it's windy”
Reviewed May 25, 2013

Our 2 1/2 hr trip turned into over 4hrs because of the wind!! If they had told us that we would not have done it, it ruined our last day there, it literally took our whole day!! We boarded at 1pm and it returned at 5pm yuk!!! Amazing views but very slow!! I feel they should have given us some free food or drinks or a future discount for such a long trip on very uncomfortable chairs!! If you wanted to freeze or get blown away you could go outside, not a good bang for your buck!!

oregon
52 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“A good choice for a lazy afternoon....”
Reviewed May 25, 2013

The transitioning colors of the lake were absolutely fascinating as we "paddled" farther and farther out onto the lake. There were shades of emerald green to a deep azure blue and then back again as we approached the shoreline. The bottom of the lake could even be seen down through the emerald waters! The captain gave a nice narrative sharing some pretty amazing facts about the geology and history of the area..... an average depth of 1,000 feet with the deepest at 1,600 feet! Wow! The cruise included Emerald Bay which was breathtaking as well. I was especially pleased we were able to see the "castle," Vikingsholm, and hear some history on it as well. The one and only island in Lake Tahoe is in Emerald Bay and sitting on top is a tea house which was charming. We were on the lookout for wildlife as well and were fortunate to see Osprey and their nests as well as an Eagles' nest. Lunch on board was reasonably priced and tasty. Expect to stand in line for the restroom as there is a single mens and womens on two decks. Passengers are allowed to smoke in smoking areas adjacent to "ashtrays" on the upper deck. I found it ironic when we disembarked there were two employees smoking in a walkway, with no ashtray close by, and the girl flipping her ashes onto the deck. Not only was the disposing of her ashes offensive but couldn't the employees wait until AFTER the passengers left the boat to feed their habit? It was after all only a 2 1/2 hour cruise!

1 Thank barbararob