“Fantastic dive sites and staff”
Review of Tofo Scuba

Tofo Scuba
Ranked #2 of 9 things to do in Tofo
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: TOFO SCUBA is the longest running dive center in Mozambique. (18 Years) We pioneered diving in the Tofo, Barra area. We are a PADI Resort center. We also offer RAID courses (Open Water to instructor) which can be a more affordable option as it does not require that you purchase a book. (E learning) We are situated right on the beach and 30 meters from the sea. (Next to Dino's bar and Fatima's Backpackers). We have an awesome restaurant on site. Tofo Scuba has the ONLY HEATED DIVER TRAINING POOL IN TOFO (26 degrees instead of 18 degrees) We run 3 x 8,3 meter superducks powered by 100hp Yamaha 4 stroke motors. FREE NITROX for those divers who are qualified Nitrox divers. This will give you 10 to 15 min..Longer bottom time on our deep dives. Safety (2 Dive Masters on EVERY Dive) and customer service are our priority. Free WI FI For Tofo Scuba Customers. Your own LOCKER to safely store your personal belongings. MISSION STATEMENT. It is the stated objective of the staff and management of Tofo Scuba to provide to our customers the highest standard of quality and service as it relates to scuba diving and scuba diver training. This commitment to service excellence will be seen in our desire and ability to continually improve the standard of both our student training programs and our daily casual diver charters. Of prime importance to us, is the safety and well being of all our customers and students. We will be measured by our ability to always supply well-maintained, safe diving equipment, good quality air and fully equipped, seaworthy dive boats at all times. We undertake to always foster an environment conducive to the safer learning and enjoyment of scuba diving in a friendly and relaxed manner. Our attitude toward scuba diving and diver training will always be conservative.
Reviewed June 4, 2014

Diving was absolutely amazing, I had only a weekend and they were very accommodating - I even managed to fit in 3 long dives on the Saturday. The dive guides were impressive, they certainly knew their stuff. Thank you guys and will be back again. Shirley

2  Thank ShirleyZhang
John P, Owner at Tofo Scuba, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2014

Thanks Shirley. It was lovely meeting you and hopefully next time you can come for longer - a weekend is just not long enough when we have so many amazing dive sites! See you next time.

Reviewed June 4, 2014

The staff are friendly and knowledgeable, the facilities are great, the restaurant is probably Tofo's best and the diving is fantastic. There's nothing not to like.

2  Thank Reneebon
John P, Owner at Tofo Scuba, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2014

Thank you for your kind review. We enjoyed having your group here and look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed June 3, 2014

Spent an amazing week in Tofo, and Tofo scuba was one of the highlights. I don't dive, but people I was with do, and they said it was some of the best diving they'd ever done, in terms of organisation as well as local knowledge and cool fish!
I, on the other hand, hung out at the dive school taking full advantage of the excellent amenities - cold beer, friendly service and really nice food - I particularly recommend the stuffed crab.
The people who run the school were friendly and helpful, with lots of assistance in navigating the various challenges of being on holiday, such as where to change money for the best rate, which restaurants to try etc.
An extra special highlight was a trip to the lagoon, where I snorkelled and saw seahorses.

2  Thank Hippolyta67
John P, Owner at Tofo Scuba, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2014

Thank you for your kind review. It is always nice to know that our clients had a good time and our staff helped in making your holiday a success. Look forward to seeing you next time!

Reviewed May 21, 2014

I spent a GLORIOUS week with Tofo Scuba. My brother & I went on two ocean safaris, and after he left Mozambique I stayed on to dive alone. I've worked off-and-on in the dive industry for 10 years and this establishment blew me away. They are knowledgeable, professional, efficient, and just wonderful people all around. Over the week I met a large number of the staff & instructors, and adored them all. The folks at Tofo Scuba took great care of me, so much so that after returning from a dive I often stayed an extra hour or two just to hang out.

The diving itself is beautiful and has something to off for any type of diver or level of experience. I could spent a dive chasing sharks, or parked in front of thousands of glassfish-- equally happy with both. The reefs are teeming, the corals exquisite, and the location still relatively undiscovered. Not to mention the possibility of dolphin and whale sharks on the commute to/from dive locations!

A few logistics that make Tofo Scuba unique & not to be missed:
They use 3-D models of many of their dive sites (or 2-D whiteboard drawings) to brief divers before going out, so that people know depths and reef layout-- including the most promising locations for certain creature sitings (manta cleaning stations, turtle napping spots, swim throughs) and therefore providing divers with a visual overview of the dive ahead of time. After a dive, all of the information (bottom times, depth, etc.) and key reef life observed are listed on the white board, making it easy to update log books (especially for those without a computer). On a two-tank dive, they offer tomato & cheese (or if you're really lucky, cheese & tomato) sandwiches during the surface interval. Finally, the shop offers hot showers, complimentary wifi, & is connected to a nice restaurant-- thus establishing a breezy and comfortable environment to wind down following a morning spent diving.

I fully intend to return to Tofo & dive with them again someday. Maybe during the humpback whale migration!

2  Thank Sky F
John P, Owner at Tofo Scuba, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2014

Thank you for your review and we look forward to seeing you again soon. The whales have now arrived and should be here until November - so as you ticked off the whale shark sighting this time we can work on the whale sighting for your next trip! See you next time!

Reviewed May 14, 2014

Excellent. I went diving and snorkeling several times with Tofo Scuba. Great crew and service.
The first time I went snorkeling we saw a whale shark so close, and it was amazing. I went again, but the second time we didn't see anything (except some dolphins at a distance).
The dives were nice and the crew were very professional.

1  Thank Ruben B
John P, Owner at Tofo Scuba, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2014

Hey guys.
So glad you enjoyed diving and eating with us. Many thanks for taking the time to review us on Tripadvisor. It is most appreciated. Your feedback is really important to us.
Kind regards.