“Friday night Steak Night”

The Gate Hangs Well
Ranked #11 of 18 Restaurants in Syston
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed April 14, 2013

We attended the Gate on Friday night for their "Steak Night" which consists of a choice of steaks and a bottle of wine. Food was very well cooked and presented with proper chips not the frozen ones. As food is cooked to order it is fresh and not "boil in the bag". The staff were very friendly and nothing was too much trouble. Good choice of beers and wine on offer. Very friendly atmosphere, pub warm and cosy by the open fire. Landlords welcoming and friendly, again nothing was too much trouble. We would recommend this pub to friends and family - the new summer menu looks good and we have since tried that and found it exceptional. Great value for money.

Reviewed March 13, 2013

My daughter and I went a few weeks ago for the two for £10 menu one lunchtime, we both had ham egg and chips, the ham was slimy and the eggs burnt.
This mothers day we decided to give them another chance- we booked at 6pm (as booked up at lunchtime).
Our food order was taken quickly, they had ran out of Lamb and new potatoes but that didn't worry us as we were offered mash instead.
I know they must have been busy in the day but when we got there it was quiet, we waited an hour for our food to arrive (with no apology for this).
The meal we were served was tasteless and luke warm, in fact my mash potoatoes were cold almost as if they had been stored in a fridge.
We brought this to the attention of our waiter who said he would sort it, about ten mins later he bought a plate of hot mash, this was the only bit of food that was served at a decent temperature!
We did not complain as we didn't want to upset our family get together or ruin our Mothers day treat.
We won't be going back in a hurry, we also have a family friend who had booked her wedding meal there but has cancelled due to the poor food recently.
This could be a really nice pub, it has an open fire, great garden and riverside setting.
What a shame.

6  Thank mandaLeicester
Reviewed March 9, 2013

Nice friendly staff but shame about the food. This is the second time I have eaten here. Didn't enjoy the menu at christmas. Food not up to much. Tried a second visit. Risotto was not a Risotto but just a heap of rice. It was put with salad (Yuk) The only thing edible was the garlic bread. The lemon cheesecake stuck to the roof of my mouth.
Friends enjoyed their meal. The decor needed updating. Dread to think what was lurking in the carpet. A cat walked around too.

6  Thank carolemidlands
Reviewed January 25, 2013

This is a "proper pub" with a good atmosphere, and staff who are always smiling and pleasant. There is a dining room or you can eat in the bar in front of a log fire .
There is a specials board, a general menu and at lunchtimes a good variety of meals two for ten pounds. Where this pub scores is proper chips not oven cooked rubbish, fresh veg, good sized portions and unpretencious. There is coffee available which is good and resonably priced. It is a long time since i have had such reasonably priced home cooked food. so many places resort to brought in massed produced microwave meals to maximise profit

Reviewed December 19, 2012

I was booked in for a christmas meal, everyone loved it, the portions are very substantial, great if you have a big appetite. The first time I went I had beef with shallots very tasty and it was with real gravy and yorkshire puddings all home cooked and fresh. The second time I went was with my husband and this was as good as the first time 2 days previous, this time we had turkeyit was excellent. Wouldnt hesitate to come again to this cosy pub with atmosphere.