“Cosy pub with great food”

The Gate Hangs Well
Ranked #10 of 18 Restaurants in Syston
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Cosy pub with great food”
Reviewed October 6, 2012

After a random visit to the pub for the first time we found it to be a great little place to eat. It had a menu which was not jam packed but offered variety and a great menu of specials.

The food was great and the atmosphere and lighting were all perfect. It is highy recommended.

Barrow-in-Furness, United Kingdom
“Family friendly pub.”
Reviewed August 26, 2012

Just stopped off for Sunday tea. Friendly staff and good ham, egg and chips. Good selection of typical pub grub and three choices of roast for a Sunday. Garden for the hardy.

Leicester, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Flippin Gorgeous.”
Reviewed August 3, 2012

4 of us visited on August 2nd 2012. My husband's Original beer was brill; he said it was a pity he was driving. Mother & friend quaffed Chardonnay. I had the usual J2O & pint of water.
I started with Stilton mushrooms. Silky, tasty, creamy sauce over pan fried mush on soft bread with salad. (A meal in itself.)
Mother started with breaded mush & dip with salad.
Now the mains...
My hubby had the 24oz Steak, cooked EXACTLY as he likes it. Very juicy & great flavour. REAL home prepared onion rings. Tomato, salad etc & Chunky chips. He ate every scrap.
I had the Veggie Wellington - lovely flavours. New potatoes and full salad. A very full plate!
Mother & friend both had Sea Bass, new potatoes & full salad. Again, very full plates.
We were SO full, we couldn't fit any more in!
The meals are REAL & home-cooked, so a little wait. (But well worth it.) The girls only checked twice to see if everything was OK and to see if we needed anything else.
The staff were helpful & friendly and they smiled. The locals were friendly.
If it's a good day, the garden is lovely to sit in. It's right on the river's edge, picturesque & peaceful.
I read some of the reviews before I went and was somewhat confused. This was my experience and I would definitely go back.
Hope this is of help, Jen

• Visited August 2012
Loughborough, United Kingdom
“poor first experience”
Reviewed July 26, 2012

8 of us ate outside here as it was a sunny evening.
After ordering at the bar it took nearly an hour for the food to be brought out and one persons dish was missing which they had mistakenly thought was for another tables order. The waiter did apologise and I guess mistakes do happen
The food portions were large but unfortunately some of the dishes were not cooked very well, one of our parties gammon was burnt at one end and undercooked at the other. and some of our chips were also undercooked
This was the first time I've eaten there and other people in the party said it used to be lovely.
maybe it was a bad day but I can only review what I experienced and I doubt I'll be going back

• Visited July 2012
4 Thank Leeandkatie2010
Doylestown, Pennsylvania
“Nice Lunch”
Reviewed July 14, 2012

Met some of our UK based family here recently for lunch. It was a Monday and it was very quiet. Food and service were good as were the prices. i'd come here again

• Visited July 2012