“Expected Better”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kelbrook
Carnforth, United Kingdom
“Expected Better”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2013

I stayed with a friend so we booked a twin room. The room was the smallest room I have ever stayed in, just enough room for 2 beds,a wardrobe and dressing table, nowhere to put bags an unnecessary iron and ironing board taking up space but no hairdryer. There was a TV but no remote to work it and the kettle was full of water, a health and safety hazard. The breakfast was adequate but I didn't appreciate the tinned tomatoes or the black mushrooms or the pink and white barely cooked bacon, the sausage were nice though as were the eggs. The staff were friendly and polite but on checkout the card machine wasn't working which caused it's own problems. The inn is in a lovely setting and we did sleep well but I don't think I will be returning any time soon.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2013

The rooms where clean an nice . The staff was most nicest people I have ever meet. They treated me like family. If you want peace an quite an beauty this is the place to stay. I hope to find a place this nice in the USA! I sure miss it !! It was breath taking scenery !! Most loved this place

• Stayed November 2013
Wrexham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2013

My son and I stayed here this weekend and were both very impressed. We had never stayed here before but would willingly do so again if we are in the area. The staff are very friendly, efficient and polite. Nothing was too much trouble. The breakfast was plentiful and well cooked as was the evening meals we had in the bar. Our steaks were cooked to perfection! Rooms were clean and tidy and excellent value for money. Great location for the local shooting school we were visiting.Many thanks!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Lancaster, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013 via mobile

Decided to have a romantic night away with my partner and we really did choose the right place.

The staff were so welcoming and couldn't do enough to make us feel right at home. The food was perfect, all home made and super delicious, the only gripe I have is my partner is a vegetarian and they didn't have much choice however she did thoroughly enjoy her meal.
The breakfast was really delicious too, nice full English fresh orange juice and as much toast, cerial and croissants as you can get.

Our room was also perfect, beautifully decorated and extremely clean!! The only issue I had was the bath....I think it was designed for a very small person but it still got me in and did its job.

Thank you all so much for making our stay fantastic and I would definitely visit again.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Kent, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights while visiting family in hospital, the first night the room was very nice newly reburbished however, we were awake all night by the noise of pipes clanging, complained to reception in the morning as there was no one on reception at night and she dealt with it in a very professional manner. The second night we collected our room key and the room was awful it was like a dungeon with a damp musty smell, so asked to be moved, and was moved to the bridal suite which was a little better. The shower had no glass in the door with a curtain put up on the inside which stuck to you as you had no room to move!!! The shower head was all scaled up. Only 1 bath towel and 1 small towel for 2 adults. The food in the evening was ok as with the breakfast. Would not return.

Room Tip: Request a reburbished room
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
hotel034, General Manager at Old Stone Trough Hotel, responded to this review, October 26, 2013
Really when hospital visiting the last thing you need is issues with your hotel. With the room, the pipes have now been fixed ( leaky pipe behind the toilet, unfortunately one of those things out of my control ) i so very sorry about your disturbed night and the following nights stay .

i know you have made the decision not to return , but if you change your mind please get in contact with me and i would love to let you stay in our fabulous suite .

please think about it, as i do not like my customers feeling or leaving let down .
Liverpool, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2013

It is rather misleading to conclude, as I did from the website and address, that this inn is in Barnoldswick - it is 2 or 3 miles distant, beside a main road between Colne and Skipton. The staff are very welcoming and the room we stayed in (29) very comfortable - very clean, the bed was excellent and the en suite very good with a particularly powerful shower. The evening meal was good although, when we ate at 8pm on a Saturday evening, the restaurant was quite empty. The restaurant is functional rather than charming and I can see why previous reviewers have compared it to hotel chains. The breakfast was quite disappointing. We arrived early as we were after an early start. It was fairly busy however which may have influenced our perceptions. Staff were fairly sullen, but prompt. My wife asked for her bacon to be well done. It was not. A minor point perhaps, but my wife likes her bacon well done and judges a kitchen by how they accommodate this fairly fundamental request. My breakfast appeared to be thrown together. A fried egg and bacon thrown onto the plate with luke warm tinned plum tomatoes. Overall - accommodation very good. Evening meal - good but lacking the charm of the 'inn' we anticipated. Breakfast - poor. Would we return - I don't think so. When leaving, at 9am, there was no one on the desk. We waited between 5- 10 minutes before anyone appeared - there was no bell to ring.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
hotel034, General Manager at Old Stone Trough Hotel, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
I am so sorry . with trip advisor when you post a comment the stay does not always match the date you comment .. please ring or email me . problems with breakfast , no one on reception at 9.am , receptionist probably was also serving your breakfast .
Seems strange , we do not want you to have a bad experience. please call or email .

lets sort this ... but thank you for the comment .
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2013

I stopped at the Old Stone Trough for three nights in September. Check in was in the attached pub as nobody on reception, but this worked faultlessly and staff there had my details and I was allocated a room at the back of the wing attached to the pub, facing the large car park. The club class room was small, but adequate and the bed was really comfortable. Room looked dated and tired, in fact the whole of the attached wing looked like it would benefit from a revamp. Everything seemed clean and smelt fresh. Free wifi was available, which was great as it allowed me to get online and keep in touch with people. I would have liked a glass to have been provided on the hospitality tray instead of having to use the plastic one from the bathroom. The tv was very small and located in an odd position that made viewing a bit awkward, but I didn't spend much time watching it so not really a problem. First night was a bit noisy with a lot of door banging and loud talking in corridor, but not the hotels problem and caused by inconsiderate fellow guests.

Breakfast was really excellent and the full English was great and set you up for the day. Staff were friendly and helpful.

Would I stay again, yes I would as the location was convenient and the hotel comfortable.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
thank you for your lovely comments and we hope to see you again and we will put you in one of our refurbished rooms , so you can see where we are heading.

0n booking please ask for the refurbished room.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kelbrook
Premier Inn Skipton North (Gargrave) Hotel
The Coniston Hotel Country Estate & Spa
Stirk House Hotel
Stirk House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Gisburn

Been to Old Stone Trough Hotel? Share your experiences!