“A real gem....”

The Craven Heifer Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Kelbrook B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 7, 2013

Having researched it on Tripadvisor I stayed here for a night in February while working in the area. I was not disappointed-very nicely kept & presented, clean and served me a first class and not particularly expensive dinner. When a repeat trip to the area came up I had the ideal opportunity to check it wasn't a fluke, so here I am again, and it certainly wasn't a fluke. A superb piece of fillet beef (I had the 5oz but there is a 12oz option) and an even better room. If I wanted to split hairs I'd say Room 3 barely cuts it as a double, but I'd nevertheless take it without hesitation rather than go elsewhere. All the staff are cheerful, polite and attentive, and you'll get an above average breakfast to send you on your way.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed February 26, 2013 via mobile

I recently stayed for 2 nights during February and what a lovely stay it was. Easy place to find and plenty of parking. We walked in the door slightly later than planned but the staff greeted us and immediately we felt welcomed, we were shown straight to our room and our table reservation was extended by half an hour to give us chance to rest after travelling. The meal we had that night was to a very high quality and I know for certain I will be eating there again, reserving a table is advised as the restaurant is very popular. The room was very clean, we booked one of the larger double rooms, the floor space was much more than I had expected. Quiet during the night time, comfortable bed and a great ensuite. A very minute issue I had was that the room was slightly cold but that was soon remedied by turning the radiators to full. Our breakfast both mornings was again to a very high standard, no grease swimming bacon or cheap sausages. The staff were always polite, we were able to come and go as we pleased whilst visiting places nearby. Overall a delightful stay and definitely a place I would book again for staying or for the restaurant. A small bit of advice, it is a little more pricey than a few other places to stay close by but I personally think it is well worth the little extra money!

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank Steven S
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Went to this restaurant for a Boxing Day meal, absolutely lovely,, as well as the usual huge menu (in choices) there were also specials and the wine list wasn't bad either.. Service excellent, smiles from all the staff. The food was well cooked. Ate two courses although would have loved to try the puddings but couldn't eat any more. Definitely a place to return to again and again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 14, 2013 via mobile

I often go to The Craven Heifer with my partner and family. Last time I went I had the 10oz beef burger, this burger is one of the best I have ever tasted! It comes with chips, coleslaw and a side salad! I do struggle to finish it as it is very over facing so I wouldn't mind if they did a smaller version! It's a very nice atmosphere and the staff are very friendly!

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed December 2, 2012

This place must be the best in the area for eating, drinking and socialising. Having spent my birthday at The Craven Heifer with my family last Saturday evening there is only one thing to say and it's 'lovely'! Despite my daughter and granddaughters letting off huge party poppers which covered the table and surrounding floor with coloured paper the staff were fun, tolerant and managed to serve the food despite not being able to see the surface of the table for 'confetti'!! (Apologies to Bob the night porter for having to clear up!) We all thoroughly enjoyed our meals and the service was second to none. We've been before and will continue to do go there.
Please don't change anything, you have a gem there.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Val J
Reviewed December 2, 2012

We arrived about 4.00pm on Saturday in the middle of a small wedding reception. Initial fears about late night revelling were soon dispelled though, this was a very tasteful celebration. I was surprised, however, at how busy the bar/restaurant was even at this unlikely time, I don't think there was a vacant table. Our room (no 5) was perhaps the best I have ever had at this price. Large (plenty of room for a sofa and occasional table) it was warm, clean, comfortable and and beautifully decorated and furnished. All fixtures and fittings were high quality. We ate at 8pm and the restaurant was buzzing. It clearly meets a local need for high quality food at reasonable prices. The staff, unfailingly cheerful and helpful were dashing around all evening servicing the full to capacity two large rooms and I guess management aim to turn tables around in about 90 mins. A relaxing dining experience this was not but hey, it was Saturday evening, hectic and fun. Food was imaginative and excellent value. In the circumstances it was not surprising perhaps that it showed some signs of having been standing waiting before being served. Tip: eat a bit later, about 8.30 to 9.00pm, the easing in pressure towards the end was palpable. The wide range of Daily Specials made me wonder how often the Main Menu changes but we haven't stayed often enough to find out. Breakfast was excellent - several unusual choices (e.g kippers, pancakes), a whopping full English, all freshly cooked. One minor gripe, a personal bete noir and not unique to this establishment, was the ubiquitous foam pillows. Are feather pillows so unhygienic they can't even be offered as an extra? But, overall, really excellent standard and value

Room Tip: Don't be put off by the fact that rooms in the main building overlook the road, although its the...