“Judge for yourself”

Ranked #11 of 29 Restaurants in Kalk Bay
Cuisines: Cuban
Good for: Scenic view, Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Cape to Cuba was created by the van Vuuren family way back in 1999 and going from strength to strength! Nominated as one of the 100 coolest restaurants on the planet with our unique décor, ambience, sandbar & whale watching from our deck and bar! We made the first Mojito in this country and have sold close to 4 million to date, and are known for our legendary cocktails. Our line fish is served fresh from the harbour daily. One of our specialties is a chocolate chilli fillet steak, a favorite with our regulars for years. We sell cigars, panama hats, shirts and skirts from the island. Live music every Sunday 4 to 7 in our beach bar. For parties and functions we offer fabulous platters or individual tapas & in the restaurant special set menus.
Reviewed January 19, 2014

Having passed the place many times and often wonered about it and also had some friends compliment it we decided on our last trip through Kalk to investigate.It has a great location with great views out over False Bay and has a really beach bar feel and vibe to it.We didn't have a meal as we had a prior appointment but the bar staff were friendly and efficient.There does deem to be a lot of "pretty" people around who probably could eat themselves rather than the food that looked good on the plated that passed us so I'd say give it a go but not mid summer as you won't get parked anywhere near it.

Reviewed January 10, 2014

Beautifully decorated Cuban themed restaurant. Staff is friendly and competent. Food is atrocious. I may have high expectations, but when you offer a 'chicken and lime' soup...don't make it with LIME CORDIAL!!!
Mains didn't live up to expectations either, as when adding salad dressing to my salad, I ended up with a plate of dessert. Kitchen staff must have a sweet tooth!
Really disappointing and we won't be going back.

Reviewed January 8, 2014

My husband and I were dragged here by our son (30) who had spotted this place. He said it reminded him of Thailand! Mainly for young people, but great fun also for more mature persons. Bar counters and tables outside, plus an open fire pizza oven, with sand 'floors'. The inside bar with views towards the sea - and an occasional train passing by very close outside the open window. Very nice for a drink - but I wouldn't have dinner here.

Reviewed January 5, 2014

Upon a recent family holiday to South Africa, my mum was informed that we should visit Cape to Cuba for a unique dining experience, especially as they were recently named one of the Top 100 cool restaurants in the world! And I am so glad we did!

We were greeted by very friendly staff right as we entered the door and were immediately hit with a cool and calm vibe, accompanied by the interesting and vibrant decor. Everywhere you looked there was something different, there is even a swing in the middle if the dining room floor!

The waitress explained the menu to us and the inspiration behind it, all the dishes are meant to bring a 'home cooked' style with infusions from Cuba and South Africa. My mother and I both had the seafood paella, which being right next to the sea seemed fit. Let me say this was one if the best paellas I have ever had! There was also some calamari and line fish and the flavours were delicious. Very fresh and you could taste all the different flavours.

I will definitely come back here when in South Africa again and will recommend to anyone visiting the area!

Reviewed December 10, 2013

I loved the decor and the atmosphere of this restaurant. All the chairs and tables are mismatched and there are a ton of old chandeliers hanging from the ceiling and a candelabra on each table. The service was good, although the place was busy they seated us right away - not the best table in the house but they seemed to be saving those for reservations. Our waitress was fairly speedy in taking our order and friendly, although she kept forgetting to bring us water.

As for the food itself, the menu was interesting and a few things looked really good. I ordered the fish and I didn't really love the way it was cooked, but my boyfriend ordered the "tortilla" (similar to a burrito almost) and this was very good. The mojitos were also delicious.