“Socrates Plaza -a happy place to be.”

and 1 more site!
Socrates Plaza Hotel
Ranked #1 of 6 Skala Prinou B&B and Inns
Bognor Regis
“Socrates Plaza -a happy place to be.”
Reviewed July 9, 2012

After many years of travelling independently around The Greek Islands, we were very apprehensive as we left for this holiday, booked through Thomson. We should not have worried at all. The hotel perfect for us with "The Gorgeous George", "Cute Constantinos" and all the staff a joy to be with. Their greetings were always so genuine and accompanied by beaming smiles.
We personally found that by paying the excess for an apartment was right for us but many preferred the rooms overlooking the beach with a great sea view.
We do not normally get involved in karaoke evenings or organized BBQs and quiz nights but after the fun we had at both during the first week, we were certainly there for the second - and ready for more!. George presented the events very professionly and appeared to enjoy the evenings along with us.
Scala Prinos is a busy small village which is happily still very Greek, unlike so many islands where the tourists have taken over. Some of this is due to the ferries from Kavala calling in several times a day keeping a buzzing but not intrusive atmosphere. There are small shops conveniently situated, several excecllent tavernas and Kostas at our pre-dinner bar, who serves a gererous ouzo. .One day we went out with Yannis of Real Holidays, He is a man who so loves his island and so knowledgable about it. You can choose where you want to visit and he gives you a wonderful personal day out. Being able to take this day out with Yannis before hiring a car, I feel sure would give you increased pleasure driving and give you good direction where to go.
As you can guess Jim and I enjoyed Thassos and our enthusiasm has spurred on some friends to book a holiday at the Socrates in August. Hope anyone who decides to visit Scala Prinos and Socrates Plaza have as good a time as Jim and Terry!

Room Tip: Apartments are larger and airy. The kitchen is more adequate if you really do need to cook!!! The...

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
  • Turkish first
hartlepool
Reviewed July 9, 2012

We have just returned from spending a brilliant two weeks at the Socrates! I had read the reviews before we left and wondered if this hotel would meet our expectations. It did and more! I agree with all the positive comments regarding this place and George, Costos and all the staff went out of their way to ensure that all our needs were met whilst there! We travelled with our fifteen year old granddaughter and initially had concerns that she may find this type of holiday too quiet we couldn't have been more wrong! Our granddaughter loved the whole experience and is already saving up to go next year (if she can persuade her parents to go with her lol). George and Costos kept her amused pulling her leg at every opportunity and George gave me information of places and activities that may be of interest to her such as the diving school and horse riding which was just along in the village. We all had a relaxing break and enjoyed just lazing in the crystal clear seas that were so warm and enjoying a cool drink at lunch time sat in the shade of the umbrella - oh bliss! We usually travel with friends but they did not come with us this year we have tortured them since we came back telling them everything they had missed, we are certainly going back to this little bit of paradise and hopefully we will be able to persuade them to come with us next time! Hubby said he would be on the next plane back there giving the opportunity and he usually likes to go to new places however as he stated if you find somewhere that ticks all the boxes why look elsewhere? Rooms were nip clean, we stayed in the rooms at the back in the garden which is very quiet and quite spacious! The rooms at the front have the sea view but I believe are not as big it really makes no odds as all the rooms appear to have their own special charm! Don't be put off with the karaoke nights as they are fun along with the BQ nights and quiz, George is the perfect host and he uses these nights to encourage all his guests to mingle (this of course isn't compulsory George just encourages people to join teams when doing the quiz to make it fair) however it also encourages people to get to know each other and we all had such a laugh that you felt that you had known everyone for months! I could ramble on, we made lots of friends whilst there, Sammy our granddaughter enjoyed meeting everyone and also enjoyed the chats and laughs on the night time! Big thankyou to everyone for making our holiday special! We will be back very soon (will be checking my lottery lol) Thanks once again to George and his family and special thank you for Costos who looked after us so well and took my granddaughters banter in such good fun! Also the friendly cleaning staff that put up with my lazy granddaughter and managed to work round her lol. Hope to see you all again soon!

Room Tip: Rooms at the front have the advantage of the sea view, however the rooms at the back are larger and...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Bakewell, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 5, 2012

just returned from our first ever visit to Thassos and we shall be most certainly returning it reminded us what Cyprus was like thirty odd years ago before it got spoiled we have always been put off by the smaller Greek islands with the additional hassle of a ferry trip after your flight but no fear on that score as it is all very slick the only trying bit was we was the last drop off of about seven hotels but they saved the best till last with the Socrates a smiling George waiting to welcome us we had a car hire for a couple of days and visited some of the sites driving pretty much hassle free found a very nice mountain village doing spit roast lamb and kid wonderful in fact we never had a poor meal on the island our room was to the back of the hotel but had great views of the mountains rush me back !! thanks George

2 Thank harry209968
Redditch, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 3, 2012

We stayed at the Socrates for 2 weeks from 10th June. It was our 8th visit to Thassos but our first stay in Skala Prinos. We had the most relaxing holiday ever,and the Socrates is our new favourite place to stay. George and Konstandinos (apologies for the spelling) were excellent hosts and always willing to spend time to advise on places to visit etc. The room was perfectly adequate for a good night's sleep (comfy double bed) and the balcony had an amazing sea view. The hotel was spotlessly clean and the cleaning ladies worked very hard to keep the guests happy, and always found time for a smile and a friendly 'hello'. Despite the occasional karaoke night (not usually our thing but the laid back atmosphere made it great fun to watch, so try it) we didn't hear a sound once tucked up in our room. The sheer luxury of being able to have breakfast on the balcony, a drink at the bar and only be a few steps from the beautifully warm sea made it the laziest holiday ever. Local places to eat that we liked included Larous (huge portions and the best stifado I've ever eaten) and Zorbas, but everyone seemed to have their own favourites. The local supermarkets had everything you could need so don't bother packing anything but teabags (if you like your cuppa). The local wine in the restaurants was very drinkable and extremely cheap. The food everywhere was good (I've never had a bad meal in Thassos). The bus service is very good, so I wouldn't bother hiring a car, unless you want to go inland or to the mountains. Be sure to visit Skala Marion (for the best sardines and a lovely little fishing harbour) and the old harbour in Limenas (Thassos Town). All in all we loved this place so much we've recommended it to our friends (2 of whom are going next week - I'm so jealous!) Much as we love discovering new places in Thassos, I'm sure we will be returning to the Socrates again in the not too distant future.

3 Thank ThassianBunnies
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 2, 2012

We have just returned from a fantastic holiday here. We found it a lovely friendly place to stay ideal for a relaxing break. You couldn't find a better location on the island. Within seconds of getting out of the pool you can paddle in the calm warm waters of the sea. The owner George and his mom and all the staff are very friendly making it a pleasant place to stay. The views are breathtaking, there are some great local restaurants just a short walk away. We recommend a visit to the Nest if you want amazing food. Pete & Judy Sutton Coldfield

Room Tip: We loved the sea view room
2 Thank Judy C
Manchester
Reviewed July 2, 2012 via mobile

Socrates Hotel is without a doubt the most amazing, friendly and welcoming hotel I have ever been to (and I speculate will EVER go to) !!!!

Our holiday this year was our third trip to the beautiful island of Thassos and our third time at the amazing Hotel known as Socrates Plaza Hotel, on arrival we were greeted by George (the owner) with a high five and pat on the back for my partner and a kiss for myself, such a friendly welcome from such a friendly face. We were then shown to our room which was room 101 which overlooked the pool and beach, and most importantly the breathtaking sunsets in the evening. Yes, as mentioned in many reviews the rooms are in contrast the rest of the hotel and could be described as slightly "dated" but they are perfectly adequate and I am more than sure that if the rooms reflected the rest of the hotel it would be much more expensive to stay at the Socrates, and in my personal opinion a holiday is not to be spent in a hotel room for the whole of the duration, therefore as long as it is clean, has the amenities you personally need, the decor should not be an issue (personal preference I guess). The rooms do includes double bed (extremely comfy in comparison to a lot of beds I have stayed in) a double wardrobe with ample space and hangers and also a dressing table with a cupboard, mirror and hair dryer. There is also a small kitchenette that contains a small fridge, a sink, kettle, toaster, 2 ring hob and cutlery and plates (adequate for snacks but not much more) however, eating out in Thassos can typically cost around 30euros for a 3 course meal with drinks so generally I would suggest eating out as opposed to using the kitchenette anyway.

Moving on to the Taverna's in Thassos, there are so many to choose from but there are in particular a few that we would HIGHLY reccomend - Vicky's Taverna (a short drive along towards the supermarket and then just off the main road, or a 20min walk along the lovely beach) is absolutely fabulous !!! The fish, tzatziki and Saturdays Lamb on the Spit in particular !!!
There is also a lovely Taverna at the old port in Thassos ; Symi, there "Chicken a'la Simi in particular is "to die for". But it is really quite hard to go wrong with a meal in Thassos as the Tavernas are so rustic with traditional Greek cooking.

Beaches ...... There are SO many beaches and bays along the coastal road that are lovely, you can drive along and find your'e own little secluded bay with no-one or only a few people on the beach, or for non- drivers the Hotel beach is beautiful, soft sand and crystal clear water that is lovely and shallow (great for kids who want to play in the sea) but for us there is one beach in particular we could not reccomend enough !!! Golden Beach, the sand and sea are like stepping onto a Caribbean beach with a added bonus of Watersports, Golden Beach Watersports is run by Cal, Perry and there son Nick and they are such lovely, funny and helpful people who just can not do enough to help you (we will be staying in touch and hopefully will be seeing them very soon) Golden Beach is DEFFINATELY worth a trip or two or seven ;-)

Also if you are thinking about hireing a car don't go for the "usual" companies like Europecar, there is a Car Rental company on the island known as Potos Car Hire, cheapest, friendliest and most helpfull !!!

I think I have rambled on enough now but I could go on and on and on telling you how amazing Thassos is, it really is a "small gem in the ocean" but I am sure you will see that when you visit yourself, if anyone has any questions what so ever please just drop me an email as there isn't much we haven't seen in Thassos.

We would just like to say thank you to George and his mum and staff who made our stay just as great as our first time and for always being so helpful !!!
And also thank you to Cal, Perry and Nick for all the help and laughs you gave us, you all are such an asset to the already wonderful island that is Thassos.

See you all again soon !!! Becky and Ants :-)

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank HolidayLover11
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 1, 2012

It was my first holiday in Thassos and I have only good words to say about it. I loved the place, the food, the people and me and my boyfriend had a great time in there. The location of the hotel is absolutly amazing, it's right on the beach and the pool area looks really nice and relaxing. I loved the clear sea that is right in front of the hotel, I appreciated the cleanliness of the rooms and I must say that although at the beginning we would have wanted a seaview room we were very nice surprised by our backview - beautiful mountains of the island, birds singing in the morning and very quite during the evening. We would definitely recommend this place and for sure we will return next year.

1 Thank emma b
Louloudis Hotel
#2 of 2 in Pachis
Hotel Pegasus
Hotel Pegasus
#4 of 17 in Thassos Town (Limenas)
Alea Hotel & Suites
Alea Hotel & Suites
#1 of 1 in Skala Prinou
Hotel Kipos
Hotel Kipos
#11 of 17 in Thassos Town (Limenas)

Been to Socrates Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!