Socrates Plaza Hotel
Negroponte Resort Eretria(Eretria)(Great Value!)
$119
Eviana Beach(Eretria)(Great Value!)
$66
$64
Sun Rise Hotel Studios & Apartments(Eretria)(Great Value!)
$62
Avantis Suites Hotel(Eretria)(Great Value!)
$90
Miramare Hotel(Eretria)(Great Value!)
Alea Hotel & Suites(Skala Prinou)
  • Pool
Hotel Lefkadi(Lefkandi)
  • Restaurant
All reviewshis teamthassos townhired a carhis mothersea viewair conquiz nightpool barrelaxing holidaybbq nightboat tripwalk along the beachper daynothing is too much troublelocal tavernasthe perfect hosthotel is spotless
Reviewed October 2, 2011

Well this is now my 3rd trip to thassos having visited golden beach 2 years ago skala rachoni at the Zafira in June this year and now Socrates. I have to admit I was a little apprehensive owing to some of the reviews but I have I learnt over the years to sift the miseries that want something for nothing from the happy holiday people.
The trip across was a little different from previous visits as out luggage travelled with us on the coach,previously went separately but no trouble none the less. The ferry trip across was a little exilerating to say the least as we had arrived during a rainy and windy day. As always Thomsons made the transfer as effortless as always.
I was very pleased and surprised as we arrived at the Socrates having the best room for views (207) I have ever had. The rooms are basic but perfectly adequate with everything you could need. George even supplied extra pillows on request and later on during our stay blankets as we had said how we found the evenings very cool. George the owner is the best and most attentive hotelier I have come across in Greece which belies his young age. George and his team were just the best ( mother was a little grumpy ) but Nan was a fantastic typical Greek (non English speaking )lady who was very lovely. The team work tirelessly cleaning and serving your every need.
The food at the hotel was of good quality and reasonably priced. The pool area spotless George was even out late on a few nights trying to repair the lighting to guide you home. Skala prinou has all you could need in the way of restaurants Larous being our favourite the Nest very traditional but the owner very grumpy, Zorbas the worst. The supermarkets had ample stocks of everything you could want.
There us s working ferry port along the beach but the ferries never intruded infact I actually became quite fond of the coming and goings(the first leaving promptly at 7.15 every morning). You can travel to Kavala on one ! The beach is quite small but very lovely with
very shallow and clear water. I took my sea shoes but never needed them. Yes there is a e5.00 daily charge but I don't mind this as you get cushions for your bed.
A regular bus service runs from the harbour to outlaying towns for a
few euros. Thassos town for 2 euros is a must , limnera 2.80 but wasn't to my taste.
All in all a wonderful hotel and area and I must give a big cheer to Claire our rep who has been the best rep I have ever met very friendly and helpful ( even though she knocked on my door and scared the life out of me !)
If you want peace relaxation and to explore at your own pace I would thoroughly recommend this clean friendly and unobtrusive hotel.
One last word learn a little Greek as although most speak very good English they do appreciate the effort ( well except the man at the nest who I asked for the bill in Greek and he didn't understand me so asked again in English ) !

• Stayed: September 2011
5  Thank kittykatzz
Reviewed September 26, 2011

Do not believe Andy0101 below. The staff are very friendly and attentive.

Transfer from Kavala airport is approx 15 mins to the ferry, 40-45 mins on the ferry (don't forget to take bread to feed the birds flying alongside the ferry), then just 20 mins maximum to Socrates.

Socrates Plaza Studios has repeat business of over 70% and is a Thompson recommended and you can see why. Read all the other comments about the hotel instead The best hotel for peace and quiet (music was always toned down in the evening - George insisted on this).

The food was delicious and Dina, who looked after the bar and sometimes the food during the day, worked long hours and always had a smile for everyone!

You can definitely see why people come back here. The hotel was cleaned daily and they do a really good job. Also, the pool guy who cleans the sunbeds and pool area is such a hard worker to ensure all the guests have a clean beach the next day.

Thassos island is gorgeous with plenty to see and do from mountain drives, sandy beaches and blue lagoons. You'll enjoy every minute.

You won't regret booking Socrates Plaza Studios, I promise !

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view room, you'll love the sunsets!
1  Thank ChuckyF1
Reviewed September 26, 2011

This was our first visit to Thassos after visiting many other Greek island this was certainly one of the prettiest and friendliest . Our stay at the Socrates - we were made very welcome from George and his staff from the moment we arrived almost like one of the family !Dina was the perfect host behind the bar always smiling and always happy to help with anything . The rooms are very clean and are kept this way daily by very hard working staff . The local taverners had a mix of authentic greek food and again we found all the staff very friendly.If you are looking for a relaxed holiday with friendly people and somewhere which isnt like 'Blackpool' abroad then we would highly recommend here. Once again a very big thanks to George and his staff for making our holiday x Vince and Michele (see u very soon)

1  Thank micheleandvince
Reviewed September 22, 2011

If you want to relax, have good food and meet real friendly Greek people then here it is. The hotel has a lot of repeat visitors and I know why. Let me start with the people that give negative reviews of this hotel. In general these people do not adapt to the Greek way, relaxed. The owner George is excellent and does his best to make everyone's stay relaxing and enjoyable. He takes great pride in his hotel and you actually feel like family if you take the time to get to know him and the staff. The rooms are clean, the fridge works, the kettle works. Around the pool bar (buy Dina behind the bar a drink!) the atmosphere is relaxed and good for sunbathing or chilling out in the shade. The gardens are very well kept. You can go from the pool area to the beach in 10 seconds. Again the beach is very well kept and clean. The hotel itself is 5 minutes walk from the supermarkets and tavernas. The local buses are reliable and run on time. for 2 euros you can get to Thassos Town (20 mins away) to see the Museum etc. A taxi will cost 20 euros. A meal for 2 in the tavernas will cost you 25 euros upwards (excellent VFM). Recommend "the Nest" as my favourite. The service is relaxed but worth the wait, in other words chill out people and soak up the atmosphere. The Socrates Plaza is a great place with great people. Thanks for the stay George, love to Dina and we'll see you again soon! Martin and Tara. BTW any Leeds United supporters take a little something over for George as he's a big fan!

4  Thank Martin G
Reviewed September 19, 2011

a few things need to be pointed out about this hotel. on the way there were at least 3 couples that had stayed in this hotel before. reading the reviews and listening to them we thought we were in for something special

started holiday after 4 hour transfer time (not 2 hours as promised). hotel is very tastefully decorated and kept perfectly clean at all times. better than pretty much anything i've seen. george the head honcho is very very helpful and really pulls the hotel together and runs a tight ship and is very chatty and friendly.

downsides: towels were the hardest and scratchiest ever, 7 euros a day for air conditioning is a hidden rip off from thompson's, 5 euros a day for sunbeds just cheap,

flood on balcony was not dealt with at all by the boss lady (i think george's mum, it was better to wait 5 hours for george to start)

first 2 days was spoilt because the little dolly bird in the pool bar thought it was a good idea to play techno music at full blast. don't come hear if you want quiet poolside atmosphere.

the resort is very sleepy with really only 5 places to eat within 30-40 mins walk. more of them elsewhere.

prices in greece absolutely rocketed. 6 euros for a vodka was standard 3.50 euros for beer. hotel was actually the best value of anywhere.

food in resort very bland in general. hotel does breakfast only which was very good indeed and the girl who works there deserves a bonus.

as for the 3 couples, hardly ever saw them, maybe its the resort not the hotel !

Room Tip: make sure get sea view and not one that does not have a drain for the air con
3  Thank andy0101