“Great place to stay, means you can REALLY enjoy dinner...!”

The Horse & Cart Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Restaurants in Peasmarsh
Description: The Horse & Cart Inn is a Grade II listed dog-friendly pub in the village of Peasmarsh, 3 miles from Rye. It has four B&B rooms, a beer garden and off street parking.
Reviewed August 6, 2017

We've eaten at the Horse and Cart a few times now and have always been impressed. This is the first time we've stayed in their upstairs rooms and can now thoroughly recommend them too. Seeing as there was no after dinner driving our wine expenditure went up a bit... Luckily their breakfast is as good as you'd expect so that helped get rid of the slightly sore head the morning after!

The room itself was really very nice. We were in room two, an en-suite double. I was very pleased that it had a proper king size bed with a good mattress - I hate staying away and getting a rubbish night's sleep, so that was particularly welcome. The en-suite is also fitted out to a very high standard with a very spacious and powerful shower.

Another great meal and now a great night away too.

Thanks Horse and Cart!

1  Thank James_tdh123

Reviewed August 4, 2017

My wife and I visited this pub recently and enjoyed a lovely evening and a very good meal. The pub has recently been refurbished and retains some great character with the old beams etc. The garden is lovely being full of wild flowers and lavender and is well looked after. The staff were very friendly and the service was excellent. I was recommended the Kozel lager which is from the Czech Republic and it was great. My rump steak dinner was cooked to perfection and the chips were crisp on the outside and soft inside. An excellent meal. I would recommend this pub and if in the area again would revisit.

Reviewed July 26, 2017

My wife and I visited this pub for dinner, this venue having been recommended by a friend.

We were not disappointed. There is a fairly small menu choice but the food served up is very good. I had the burger and my wife had the rump steak. Generous helpings and very tasty. As we had olives and some lovely bead for starters we had no room for a sweet, which is a shame as they all sounded very good.

The service was friendly and the pub and gardens have been totally renovated. It is smart, neat and tidy.

We would definitely visit again.

Reviewed July 16, 2017

Pleasant decore in the bar and restaurant, very clean and fresh looking mosh mash collection of chairs and tables very gastro pub. The staff were absolutely fabulous, knowledgeable about menu and very willing to suggest alternatives for gluten free. You can have a pizza if you order ahead, pity this wasn't mentioned on their website.
Thought the drinks were very reasonably priced.
The sharing platter was a hefty £8 per head and its presentation was rustic and not as delicately formed as the other starters we saw. Our GF option comprised of a bowl of mushed up crisps, bowl of good olives, 2 x chunks of cheese which was delicious and a not very generous portion of sliced meat.
The rack of lamb at £20 was on the expensive side but it was a quality piece of meat and worthy of the sum. Perfectly cooked. However would suggest another vegetable accompany the aubergine purée and confit potato. Steak was also perfectly cooked with very interesting and I thought unappealing and not very tasty variety of new potato which was purple, as a side dish we requested rather than chips.
Selection of puddings was very good and you would have to be hard to please if you could not find something you liked off of the menu.
Vegetarians may have a limited choice think I only saw a pizza and risotto that would do, but suspect that the kitchen could provide other options.
The wait for the food was average but the service was commendable, first class.
Car parking was also limited with off main road parking down a narrow lane.
An interesting experience in pleasant surroundings but a too limited a menu for this GF diner.

Reviewed July 16, 2017 via mobile

Stopped here as we were driving back to our hotel & so glad we did. What a great pub, clean & very inviting. Great choice of beers & wines & a fantastic outside bar in the garden which was a lovely place to sit. We had the Horse & Cart platter from the menu which was absolutely lovely and the rest of the menu looked very tempting. We will definitely be back when we are next in the area.