“An agriturismo restaurant/cellar in a country vineyard setting”

Osteria Cantina Da Mario
Ranked #5 of 52 Restaurants in Latisana
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed June 12, 2018

This restaurant was recommended by my German neighbor in Lignano. We both have a summer home in Lignano. This time we happened to stay here during the same week; so she invited us to try out Cantina Da Mario located on the outskirt of Latisana. She is a frequent guest here and knows the owner Antonio very well. In the summer tables are set up in the covered patio and courtyard grassy area for outdoor dining. She called ahead and reserved a patio table for us. The moment I walked into this place I felt as if I were in one of the movie scenes filmed in Italy, absolutely an eye-opening experience for me! It's a family owned restaurant/cellar and also operating B&B, by the name of Cantina da Miranda, in its own vineyard setting. The cantina’s interior decors and the entire cellar setting give guests very homey and warm welcome. The B and B quarter, located at the other side of the courtyard, looks rustic and gorgeous. It includes a grayish colored bricks and mortar structure with red window shutters and a yellow façade building next to it. Since we have a vacation home in Lignano I would probably not have a chance to experience its B and B agriturismo style. But I would definitely try out its typical Friulano cusine.

Cantina da Mario has no printed menu for guests. Chef cooks whatever is good for the night. This is the part I like the most. Owner or service staff will come to your table and explain what are available for the dinner. Owner Antonio doesn’t speak English so he sent a young man to us. He (I regretted for not asking his name!) told us he is originally an Australian; married an Italian and has been part of this restaurant business for 19 years. He said he could tell where we are from because we speak Yankee English! My husband and I each ordered a different antipasto and secondo recommended by him, so we could share the varieties on the plates. I had the mixed seafood platter, my husband had grilled porcini. My secondo was swordfish with tomato, olive and caper sauce in Sicilian style. My husband had braised pork cheeks and white polenta. We then ordered a tiramisù fatto in casa, and a bowl of mix berries to complete our dinner. Everything on our plates was well prepared and full of balanced flavors. We cleaned up our plates and felt very pleased with the wholesome delicious home cooked meals.

Cantina da Mario is 15 min. away by car from Lignano; located near the hospital on the outskirt of Latisana. It’s tucked away in a quiet corner of a dead-end street; has been in business since 1999, has earned reputations by word of mouth for its excellent qualities in foods- typical of Friulano cuisine, services and dining experiences. Their patrons are not only the local Italians but also the foreign guests (guests at a table next to us were English speaking tourists) who heard about it and found their ways here too. I wouldn't be able to find it myself if not because of the neighbor friend of my Italian home. For those who appreciate good home cooking foods in agriturismo dining environment I highly recommend Cantina da Mario to you. I am totally in love with this beautiful villa and farm estate; foods prepared in the kitchen are delicious; the atmosphere is absolutely intimate and romantic. Restaurant only offers dinner to the public and closed on Tuesday. You can check its page on Facebook or search its website mirandamario for more detailed information.

Reviewed October 28, 2016

Our group of three couples had our first meal in Italy at this wonderful restaurant on the recommendation of our hotel. We were not disappointed. We each selected a different entree and they were all delicious.The zucchini blossom starter was superb. The wines compliment the food and were well priced. As it was late in the season, and cool, we were not able to enjoy the outside patio but the atmosphere inside the restaurant was warm and welcoming.

1  Thank John R
Reviewed April 9, 2015 via mobile

I visit Italy on a weekly basis and have had the pleasure of eating at Cantina Da Mario many times, each time I am made to feel very welcome and at home. The food is fantastic, the selection of wine is rich and everything is so well priced and tasty. If you are near by or even 100km away, ensure you visit and even stay over at the equally exceptional b&b adjacent to the restaurant.

1  Thank Duckcave
Reviewed September 10, 2014 via mobile

I have gone there every year for a long time now. And I will definitly go there again. Apart from a wonderful atmosphrere and a very friendly service, the food is just great. Its absolutely worth it to drive some minutes to marios cantina. The price, by the way, is, compared to the touristic price level in that area, surprisingly cheap. Top!

9  Thank DaBiedi
Reviewed July 13, 2014

A great outside patio and great Seafood.. Highly recommended for all seafood lovers and a great selection of other meals.

1  Thank bigoak1997