“Paradise”

Seagull Cove Resort
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Boca Chica
Reviewed October 1, 2013

We spent a weekend in this lovely hotel. The place is very beautiful.
The service and the food are very good. We used the local Kayaks and took a boat to see whales and dolphins in the nature.
The only bad thing I can say is that the rooms are a little bit outdated. They are very clean but need some fresh painting and remodeling.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed September 7, 2013

For our aniversary I decided to surprise my husband with a tranquil getaway. I found this lovely spot by chance, not even my Panamanian colleagues had ever heard of it! We stayed 3 nights, and although the weather did not always cooperate, we really enjoyed it. Beautiful setting, comfortable bungalows with great views and excellent hospitality. Kayaking, horse back riding, whalewatching - we did it all. We loved meeting the owners, they made us feel even more at home!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 12, 2013

This was our first trip to Boca Chica. It has been on my wife’s short list of things to do in Panama. We spent three nights at this beautiful resort.

We drove from the Coronado beach area which is an hour west of Panama City and that took 4 ½ hours. The directions that are provided are easy and accurate. They show coming from the town of David. From the beach town of Coronado starting from the Super 99, it is 325km to the turn off and then 20 km until you turn to the short road leading to the lodge.

We arrived around 5 pm on a Sunday evening. Upon arriving we were happily greeted by Marcelo. Marcelo speaks outstanding English and was an excellent host.

Check-in was prompt and courteous. Our room was ready since we arrived later in the afternoon. Marcelo helped us with our luggage and took us down to our room. We were in the Tanager suite. This is one of the best rooms we have had in Panama. It is well equipped and the décor is excellent. All units are pretty much the same but with different elevations and slightly different ocean views. One note, there are a lot of stairs especially down to the water. If you have walking issues or any walking handicap this resort could be difficult.

Upon entering the room, we had a very nice queen sized bed with night tables on both sides. There were two things that got us excited. Each night table had a light of high quality and there was a digital alarm clock. In Panama most hotels do not have clocks and may only have one night stand and light (or none). This was a wonderful surprise. There was a comfortable side chair in the room along with a wooden deck type chair. The bed was new and comfortable along with the pillows. One note, if you require a firm mattress this bed will not work. There is plenty of space for the clothing and another surprise, hangers. Nice wood hangers and plenty of them. There is also a good sized safe in the room to store your valuables. The bathroom is big and has plenty of storage for your stuff. Another nice touch is q-tips/cotton balls. The layout is great and there is plenty of room. The water pressure in the sink and shower were excellent. Each room has its own electric, on-demand water heater so there was always plenty of hot water. The towels were first rate. There is a nice flat-screen TV and they offer Sky television. The only downfall for us is most of the channels are in Spanish and only a few English. Still, living in Panama 5+ years we understand that is normally the case and we are in a Spanish speaking country. There is no DVD player to play DVDs. Not an issue but just something you might want to know. .They also provide a pitcher of fresh, cold water each day. The water is outstanding and high quality. I rarely have concerns with the water in Panama and the water here seems exceptionally good. The room had an excellent ceiling fan and an AC unit. We used the AC unit when we were ready for bed to take the humidity out of the room but didn’t need it at night. The fan did the trick for us. One other note, there is no coffee maker in the rooms. We aren’t coffee drinkers so that did not affect us but be aware that they don’t have them in the rooms. Over all this was one of the nicest if not the nicest room we have stayed at when traveling around Panama.

There are not a lot of dining options in the area. We took our meals at their restaurant. Breakfast was included and it came with Coffee or hot tea; a plate of assorted local fruits (mango, papaya, pineapple, banana’s). The local fruits of Panama can’t be beat. Then a choice of pancakes, ham and cheese omelet, eggs & bacon or granola and yogurt. We both chose the pancakes the first morning. One note, it is one pancake and thick. It was excellent and cooked perfectly. In fact we marveled at how they could get the pancake done perfect inside without burning the outside. It was very good. Day two breakfast I followed up with pancakes again but my wife had the granola and yogurt which was a large portion. The pancake was cooked perfectly again today.

Lunch has a different menu and is limited to a few salads, wraps and sandwiches. On Monday, our first lunch there, we were wanting to save up room for dinner but needed something. We split the chicken wrap that included French fries. It was huge. Marcelo (who doubles as check-in and waiter) split it up on two different plates. It was big enough serving for both of us and tasty. The only thing we would ask if we ordered again was to be less Italian dressing. It was a bit much but not a killer. The fries were fresh and hot. Excellent lunch. Day two lunch we were hungrier or I should say I was. I had the hamburger and French fries and my wife had the full portion caesar salad. The hamburger was cooked perfectly and was a half-pound. The French fries were cooked perfect and were hot. This was one if not the best hamburger I have had in Panama. My wife’s salad was a good size and the ingredients were fresh.

Dinner was fine cuisine. Sunday night upon our arrival was our first meal. They are open at 5:30 to 8 but I don’t think they really get it going till 6ish. We got there at 6:30. They have a good menu. If you want wine, they have a wine list. Prices are very reasonable. We started with the bruschetta. It is not a traditional one but personally I loved it and would rather have it this way. It was on a wonderful piece of bread and not sliced into little pieces. It had the standard garlic and oil and tomatoes but also had onion, cucumber, and green peppers. They give you a bowl of grilled garlic bread and we used that to scoop up the extra toppings that fell off. It was heavenly for $6.

My wife got the Pasta Puttanesca. It was a penne pasta with cappers, olives, chicken in a tomato, red sauce. There was a hint of spice to it that gave it a great flavor. She enjoyed it and would get it again. I had the special of the day which was a pasta dish with fresh lobster in a wonderful white, cream sauce. It was out of this world. The sauce was not thick but was creamy and rich enough to add a wonderful flavor with the pasta. My pasta was the way I liked it which is done. Pam’s al dente which she likes. We had a bottle of Sauvignon Blanc and had a wonderful meal.

Our second night dining was as good as the first nights. This night the special was a prawn special which I considered but decided on the grouper filet with the garlic sauce. It came with a small side of rice and fresh vegetables. My wife tried the Panamanian rice and chicken. It was a large portion but also came with a side salad that was huge and fresh. The fish was fresh and cooked perfectly. My only issue was the garlic sauce had too much salt for my taste. If you do not like or want a lot of salt, you should ask them to reduce the amount of salt they use in it. Like the first night we started with the bruschetta. It was as good and tasty as the first night. Otherwise, it was an outstanding dinner. Our final dinner we started with the bruschetta again. My wife went with the Puttanesca pasta dish. It was very good. The menu describes it as having both red and white sauce. However, it was only the same white cream sauce that I had on the first night special. No big deal because it was still delicious just not quite what was expected. I had the filet. For me the beef in Panama is always a risk. The portion size was fine and prepared well I found the beef to be tougher than I like and it was a little over done. It was a good meal but like most Panama restaurants I really have a hard time recommending the beef. I would suggest that you stick with the pasta, shrimp, lobster and chicken dishes. I rarely have an average or bad experience with them. This was the only thing we had at the restaurant that I wouldn’t get again.

The grounds are wonderful. Upon arriving you enter into a nice commons area with chairs and a couch and TV. The bar is right by it and the dining room is there as well. Attached to the main dining room is a smaller room that has dining tables and two more comfortable chairs. There is a library with books and games. The area is totally inviting. Both dining room areas have a wonderful, ocean view. There have been reviews that have said there are no commons area. I’m not sure where they stayed but there are definitely two common areas and you can sit in the dining room tables and watch the world go by as well as the pool area.

The pool is right off the main dining room area. The pool itself is small but I wasn’t coming to practice laps for the Olympics so for me it was just fine. There is a wonderful sitting area and the chairs and lounge chairs are of a much higher quality than the normal plastic things most have around their pools. You can then take the steps down past the bungalows to the ocean. There is a small nice beach with a lounge area with plastic chairs and lounge chairs. I get putting the plastic ones down here because of the beach and salt water. The kayaks are down there as well. They have a pier that goes out to the water for boat docks and there is the Tiki bar. It looks cool but I’m not sure how much it gets used. They have a walkie talkie that can call up to the main building if you need a drink. The grounds are beautiful and well kept. There are a lot of big trees including many different types of palm trees. There is plenty of lighting and most of the bungalows were occupied during our stay but we never felt crowded and it never felt full. There is free, high quality internet service up in the commons area and by the pool but it does not reach the bungalows.

The Seagull Cover offers use of their kayaks. We took the two person unit out in the morning. They are very nice and have seat backs which aid in the adventure. Just ask and they will get out the kayak, paddles and life vests out for you. There is some current in the channel but it really feels more like a lake than an ocean because it is so protected. You can easily make it across to the other islands and it was a lot of fun.

There are five bungalows. Four are down below the main building and all have outstanding views. The lowest one down is the Frigate and it had one Queen and one Double bed; next up the hill was our bungalow, the Tanager. It had one queen bed. Just above our bungalow is the Honeycreeper and it has a Queen bed and very close by is the Kingfisher bungalow with a Queen bed. The fifth unit is up by the pool and kind of behind the pool and the main building. This is the Egret bungalow and it has two double beds. While there is an ocean view, it is small and not panoramic. This is a good bungalow if you have issues with stairs because it has the fewest between the main building and pool plus the extra room. The size and furnishings appear to be very consistent between the units. While we had two chairs I did notice that one had a love seat in it.

Overall this was an excellent resort. The staff is friendly and efficient, the food was outstanding, the rooms were well equipped and comfortable and the grounds well maintained. We would return and recommend it to our friends.

Room Tip: The Egret room has a very limited ocean view but good for those that can't climb a lot of stairs...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Stargazerm31
Reviewed August 2, 2013

The resort must be under new owners. The price off season was $135.00 a night plus 17% tax.
The rooms are nice and modern. Good ac, nice presentation. The resort has no common area for guests to relax. The cottages have lovely bathrooms. The pillows are lumpy and old. The pool is tiny. Wifi was only good for a 10' area in the main house.
The food was good, not great. Breakfast is included.

2  Thank igot2itchyfeet
Reviewed July 28, 2013

This place is undeniably beautiful. It is situated on a hill with a view of the cove. Each of the cabañas has its privacy (especially if you ask for Frigate), the beds are really nice, and the furniture is beautiful. Warm shower. There is a nice patio with lounge chairs (warning, it's not a white sand beach, but there is a nice place to lounge) also kayaks and paddle boarding. We kayaked all over the cove, and hopped up on islands.

The breakfast is very good (appreciate the French press coffee) and the dinner was GOOD. For a small menu, the ingredients were fresh, and it's rare to find a place in Panama that knows how to cook a steak. The dinner menu is very reasonably priced. Reasonable wine selection that wasn't too overpriced. Really strong, good cocktails.

Our experience was wonderful, however we found out about the Lodge from an Ofertasimple. I don't know if we would have paid full price for this, given that it is a 7-hour drive from the city. Also, take note, the last 1-2 km to reach the Lodge are gravel road, which was a little hard on our car.

Friendly people and service. Very happy to help us find area attractions. If you stay, definitely go see Alaouatta monkey Sanctuary.

I don't think this would be a good option for families with small children. It's quite, a little remote, and you have lots of stairs to climb to get to the water. The pool is nice, but small and all one depth.

As a couple's weekend, this was a great place.

Room Tip: We enjoyed the Frigate because it's the last going down the hill, so not many people pass you wa...
Reviewed July 22, 2013

A very personal and beautiful resort! An well-maintained exquisite setting on the hillside overlooking the resort Tiki Bar, cove and islands. The accomodations are very clean, comfortable and private. The staff and owners are very personable, entertaining and attentative! The service is wonderful, exceedingly good food and helpful. With all of the fishing, islands, kayaking, paddle boarding, beautiful beaches, pool and rooms there was always plenty to do, see and experience. The location is a short drive to the nearby the moutains for climbing, zip-lining, hiking, etc. Really a wonderful, relaxing and enjoyable time with great people, food, entertainment, accomodations and scenery! Highly highly recommend! Go for a visit and write your own excellent review!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 10, 2013

This is a very small but romantic and beautiful boutique lodge. The staff and owners are professional and friendly, all focusing on the needs of their guests. On the day of our charter fishing trip, they went the extra mile and prepared a "to go" breakfast for us as we were scheduled to depart prior to the restaurant opening. The bar is a fun and friendly place, fully stocked. I personally recommend the Pina Coloda's made with fresh pineapple. The food far exceeded any of our expectations.... simply delicious. The restaurant itself is open aired and every seat in the house hosts a spectacular view. They even prepared our fresh catch from our fishing trip! The casa's are beautiful, well equipped and each have there own private balcony's with breathtaking views. The grounds are beautifully landscape and the birds were music to our ears. We made so many friends in our short stay. I would highly recommend this lodge to anyone planning a visit to Boca Chica. We can't wait to come back, and we will definitely allow for more time in Boca Chica our next trip. Thanks Jim to you and your staff for everything.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Boca Chica
Gran Hotel Nacional
Gran Hotel Nacional
#5 of 13 in David
Aranjuez Hotel & Suites

Been to Seagull Cove Resort? Share your experiences!