“Superb meal - wonderful location”

Bwyty Mawddach Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Llanelltyd
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
London, United Kingdom
“Superb meal - wonderful location”
Reviewed December 31, 2013

We loved this place. Went for Sunday lunch after a bracing walk in Barmouth (do the panoramic walk for unbeatable views over the estuary). Fabulous views of Snowdonia park, great Sunday roast, lovely service, jolly atmosphere - what's not to like?

• Visited December 2013

Conwy Valley
“Good food with unbeatable views”
Reviewed December 12, 2013

Bwyty Mawddach is a beautifully converted barn ideally located to take advantage of the wonderful views of the Mawddach estuary and Cader Idris. I have eaten here before with my husband, but was not expecting it to be open on a Wednesday lunchtime in December. When I saw the board saying that lunch was served until 2:30 I made a quick u-turn!

Whilst the restaurant has been decorated in a contemporary style the service harks back to a more genteel age. I was lunching alone, which raised no eyebrows as a lone female. On arrival my coat was taken and hung up and I was offered a drink in the bar area before moving upstairs to the restaurant. I decided to go straight upstairs and order at the table, however I know from previous visits that had I decided to have a drink downstairs and not finished it the staff would have carried the drink up for me. It's small touches like this that make a visit to the Mawddach such a pleasant experience.

As well as the a la carte menu there was also a lunch menu for those with a smaller appetite. To start I chose the butternut squash soup garnished with cheese and pickled onion. As I wanted a lighter lunch I declined the bread roll. The pickled onion slices cut perfectly across the richness of the soup and lifted the whole dish. I followed this with the home made corned beef sandwich with salsa verde and mustard mayo. As I am not over keen on mustard I asked for plain mayo, and declined the included chips. None of these amendments caused any problems. The sandwich was made with fresh granary bread and generously filled with the tasty corned beef. As I was in no rush I finished with the home made salted caramel ice cream which had obviously been made with plenty of cream! To round off a very enjoyable lunch I had a black coffee. It was freshly made and had a good flavour.

When I went to pay the bill I found that it had been reduced as I had not had the included bread and chips, which I hadn't expected at all. The service had been very good without being intrusive and I had a thoroughly enjoyable lunch.

• Visited December 2013
Wiltshire, United Kingdom
“Contemporary ,jewel”
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Lovely meal, with the emphasis on very good quality meats and fish, I had the welsh lamb and my husband the black beef, both were cooked beautiful and melted in your mouth, both meals were served without sauces just the meat juices so that you could enjoy their quality and flavour, a very lovely evening with some great wine.

Visited October 2013
“Amazing place”
Reviewed October 21, 2013 via mobile

I had a meal here the weekend abd a few times before, once again it was amazing the food is mouth watering and the staff are very professional. Will be eating here again

Leicester, United Kingdom
“Nice,but not memorable and overpriced too”
Reviewed October 11, 2013

I know this goes against the grain of previous reviews but our meal here was decidely average-the whole menu seemed to be based around the kitchen,at a quiet time of the year,having very few fresh ingredients available.
My lamb was perfectly pink,(Im told the lamb and beef comes from the owners own stock,but there is no mention of this on the menu-if true,this sort of provenance should be highlighted as it may help to justify the price tag of the main courses) but was a very small portion-think three fish finger sized slices of loin. It was served with a small scoop of polenta mash (ie open a packet and add boiling water) and an even smaller portion of wilted greens-apart from a thin and watery sauce in the bowl,that was it,and all this cost £17.
For me,a £17 main course should be more substantial,and a bit more imaginative and well,"cheffy"-I eat out to experience food,flavours,techniques and skills that I can't replicate at home,but this plateful was just boring-perfectly edible but it wouldnt be out of place on a tray while watching Downton Abbey.
Desserts were equally uninspiring-my cheese course had six tasty,but small (think Christmas postage stamp sized) offerings of local cheese,three nice and crumbly home made oat bisuits and a tiny pot of chutney-no grapes or celery or apple or in fact anything fresh at all
My wifes pannacotta was nicely flecked with vanilla seeds,but the accompanying marshallow was too similar in texture and the advertised raspberries numbered......three. This is raspberry season and to serve three is either extremely miserly,portion control gone bad or a kitchen trying to ration the few fresh ingredients it had in on a Thursday in October.Our neighbouring diner was also grumbling about the raspberry shortage

On a positive note,the service was friendly ,efficient and charming and the restaurant building is amazing,with magnificent views of the Mawdacch estauray and Cadair Idris (on a clear day!) I just cant shake the suspicion that the kitchen was operating on a "store cupboard" basis and that the cost of the main courses is more to do with the surroundings than the food.

• Visited October 2013