“Enjoyable Room, skimpy breakfast, Great Service”

Comfort Inn & Suites
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Spokane Valley
Reviewed May 22, 2010

We stumbled upon this great modern hotel with an excellent service record the day of our stay. They are conveniently located right off the freeway, yet the rooms (and hallways) are very quiet. The evening staff was exceptionally helpful, but be ware that they charge $1.50 fee for the safe in your room, and you have to remember on your own to opt out of it when you check out. They are pet friendly (on the main floor only with a pet deposit), and as we stayed on the 3rd floor, that did not hamper our stay as my wife has strong pet allergies - I.e. The whole hotel was very clean. The breakfast was meager (eggs from powder, bear claws, cold cereal), but they did have a do-it-yourself pancake machine that made 2 at a time. They offer complementary Starbucks coffee and Starbucks Hot Chocolate all hours of the day, and the pool, hot tub, fitness center, and business center are open 24/7 as well. Our king bed was VERY comfortable, and the only true complaint we have has nothing to do with the hotel, except perhaps in regards to its proximity to the railroad, as the train went by at 4:30AM quite loudly, and our 1 year old (who loves trains) was woken up for the day.

Overall, our experience here was great, and we look forward to our stay here again, next time we are in the Spokane area!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family

Reviewed February 10, 2010

We were pleasantly surprised by the service and the quality at the Pheasant Hill. The front desk personnel were efficient and friendly. The bed was better than expected and the price was quite reasonable.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 28, 2009

My wife and I spent Christmas in Spokane and stayed at the Pheasant Hill Inn and Suites Hotel in the Valley very conveniently located just off I-90 on Pines Road Exit. What a great hotel! The property was meticulously maintained and the staff obviously very well trained and professional. The beds were first rate as was the the shower and linens/terry. The breakfast was fabulous and included in the price of the room and certainly not the typical "continental" breakfast but featured fresh fruit, belgian waffles, eggs, sausage one morning, juices, cereals, pastries and on it goes. What a wonderful stay with wonderful people taking care of us!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 9, 2009

Nothing flashy or fancy about the Pheasant Hill Inn, but it does the job. It's conveniently located right off of I-90 and near many chain restaurants. It provides free breakfast (complete with waffles and eggs), has a suitable fitness center (cardio equipment only), and a lovely pool & jacuzzi. My only complaint involves using the hair dryer the first morning here, and having smoke pour out of it. This in turn set off the nearby smoke alarm, which set off a panic at 7 a.m. for the neighboring guests. The maintenance staff were quick to replace the hairdryer with a working one and were ever so friendly about it.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed November 16, 2009

Lovely Hotel, clean & well appointed. Friendly staff, gracious enough to allow an early check in. Busy @ breakfast (there was fresh fruit), tour bus... Great value, not in town (& not priced like an in town hotel) but convenient none the less. We will return on future visits to Spokane.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed September 10, 2009

This hotel looks brand new, found the staff very cheerful, the rooms clean , the pool area nice and the closness to shopping & restaurants was wonderful. Only didn't like that internet was a little slow and not wireless, maybe bring your own cable to be safe

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed August 18, 2009

I stayed for three nights mid-August. The first night I arrived late around 11 PM. Check-in was quick and easy and the female desk clerk was very nice and helpful.

I got up to my room, 402, which was stifling hot, since it was a hot day and the room had been closed up. I cranked up the AC while I was unpacking a few things and getting ready for bed. Around midnight I went to use the toilet before bed and it wouldn't flush properly. The water would drain down slowly, but the TP wouldn't go down after flushing 6 or 7 times.

I called the front desk, asked for a wake up call for 6 AM and said that the toilet wasn't flushing. The male desk clerk said he thought it was a stopped up toilet and he would come up and plunge it. He was up to my room very quickly and tried several times to plunge it. He couldn't get it to work either. He said he would go down and move me to another room and bring up the keys while I packed my things. I left the room about 45 minutes after checking in and the room never cooled off. Luckily the AC worked great in my new room.

The desk clerk met me in the hallway with my keys to my new room #424. I asked him to remember to move my wake-up call from my old room to my new room for 6 AM and he said he would. I finally got to sleep about 1 AM.

Got a phone call at 7 AM that woke me up and that's when I found out my wake up call never got changed. I had a meeting at 8:30, so I had to rush to grab a quick breakfast and also complained to the female manager on duty about the toilet, having to move rooms and the missed wake up call.

She verified that the night desk clerk never changed the wake-up call on the list. She stared at me blankly and seemed put off that I asked for some kind of discount for all the inconvenience. She gave me 15% off my first night's stay, but didn't look very happy about it. Never smiled or showed any sincerity while apologizing.

I come from a customer service background and believe that when a customer is inconvenienced, especially as much as I had been, reparations should be automatic and given with sincerity and friendliness. A customer shouldn't even have to ask. This did not happen. I felt like I was bothering the manager.

That said, the rooms were clean and decently appointed. Had microwaves and mini fridges. 402 had a sitting chair and ottoman, but 424 had a sofa. I would have liked to have had a coffee table in front of the couch to eat on while watching TV, since I was using the desk for my computer and paperwork. Each room had a desk and desk chair. Even though my room was on the freeway side of the building it was very quiet. My room also had a connecting door, but I never heard any neighbors if I even had any. I know I had people on the other side, but never heard them either. The bed was also very comfortable. I normally get a backache on hotel beds, but I didn't here.

On the last night of my stay, Spokane had a freak cold with the weather that got down into the mid 40's at night. I turned the heater on high heat and kept cranking it up, but it never got very warm in the room.

The next morning, when I was pulling my blankets off of my bed to be sure I hadn't left anything behind, I found dried-on yellow stains on the blanket that I hadn't noticed before. Check out was at 11 AM and I was running behind, so housekeeping knocked on my door at 11:10 to be sure that I was leaving. I mentioned the stains on the blanket to the housekeeper and she apologized. The housekeeping staff all greeted me warmly and smiled as I passed them in the hallway.

When I checked out, the same female manager from before was on duty. I was so frustrated and tired from being cold all night and running late, that I didn't bother complaining, but left a note in the room about the heater and the stains on the blanket
The complimentary breakfast wasn't really anything special. Fake scrambled eggs, bagels, pastries, cold cereals, instant oatmeal, fresh cut up mixed fruit, milk, coffee and juice. One morning they had cold slices of French toast that you put in the toaster to warm up. Another morning they had biscuits and gravy. The toasters were very slow to toast anything.

The breakfast hostesses were not very good about keeping the food stocked up. Everything morning I came down the pastry trays were empty, or very close to empty. On the last morning, the bowl of fresh fruit was gone by 8:30 and breakfast runs until 10 AM. The hostess said that there would not be anymore fresh fruit that day.

The indoor pool and jacuzzi looked really nice, but I didn't get a chance to use them. The business center could use some upgrades. The computers were very slow operating. The fax machine wasn't working properly and wouldn't pull the pages through to scan them. Had to manually push the pages through individually. After a half dozen attempts to get my fax to go through without success, I finally took it up to the front desk and the friendly female desk clerk that checked me in the first night sent it out for me.

I wish I could remember her name, because she was the saving grace for their customer service. She was very helpful with giving me directions to where I needed to go for meetings, restaurants, etc... She always had a smile on her face and greeted me warmly everytime she saw me.

I did not have housekeeping clean my room while I was there, but on the last morning I asked for a couple washcloths to be sent up. The housekeeper who brought up the washcloths was very friendly and refused my tip.

I am torn about how to recommend this hotel. It was quiet and the bed was comfortable, the female front desk clerk and the housekeeping staff were very friendly and helpful, location was pretty convenient to everywhere I needed to go during my stay. But on the other hand, management needs some lessons in friendly customer service, the room had some issues with the toilet and heat, and the complimentary breakfast service and business center need some help. I might give them another chance should the need arise to stay in Spokane again, but I would definitely be checking the reviews for some other hotels in the area before I decided for sure.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
pheasanthill, Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2009

I was the manager the reviewer referred to as lacking in customer service. I am sincere when I apolgise and offer discounts for poor service. I feel I am always smiling and welcoming. As you can tell from most of our reviews we have a very friendly, outstanding staff. I trained most of them. All are ready and willing to make each guest feel welcome and well cared for.