“Nothing fancy but comfortable and cozy”
Review of Hotel Union

Hotel Union
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Epalinges
Port Alfred, South Africa
“Nothing fancy but comfortable and cozy”
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Stayed here for a week on business and was not disappointed. The hotel is a typical family owned three star hotel with not too many fancy features but a lot of cozy elements and good value for money.

Room was quite small but spacious enough when you are out most of the day. The rooms are definately not new, but also not worn out. If you can take a room on the backside of the hotel as there is a bit of noise coming from the road (if you like to sleep with the windows open). Housekeeping was very consistent and also the laundry service worked well.

Breakfast was fine, though I was longing for eggs at the end of the week. They served yoghurt, milk, muesli, ham, cheese, jam, croissants and bread. Coffee comes from an old school peculator which is guaranteed to wake you up... ;-). The pub connected to the hotel has a nice mix of locals and hotel guests and the beer was great.

Staff was friendly and accommodating throughout. The only real frustration was that my keycard did not work properly for quite a few times which required me to go down to reception to have it reset. I would definitely come back here though especially given the price, which is a fraction of most hotels in Lausanne.

Room Tip: The rooms on the road side of the hotel are somewhat noisy when you want to sleep with the windows o...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Abuja, Nigeria
Reviewed March 25, 2013

i travelled to lausanne in feb 2013. there were some issues with my booking, but the beautiful Somali lady in the reception was so nice and quick to help. I felt at home instantly. The chef went out of my way to recommend meals which met my 'non-Swiss' taste. Location is fantastic; just opposite the metro.
everything worked impeccably and i made a lot of wonderful friends at the bar.
I have to say that this hotel met all my needs as a business traveler.
only one minus: the breakfast was pretty monotonous; they could do better on that.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Froideville
Reviewed August 10, 2012

Nice atmosphere in the pub, considering it's on the suburb of Lausanne and not that busy. But the food doesn't deserve to be tried, and service is a disaster. Most of the pizzas where not what we ordered, so they had to re-shuffle and prepare some new one, so we didn't eat at the same time. And they were not cooked enough.
Burger fans had to wait 10' for the ketchup and mayo, so as well cold food.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank kromega

Travelers are raving about these Epalinges hotels

Trencin
Reviewed July 14, 2012

I went to Lausanne for business trip with my college. I was hot weather and we were thirsty, so we went to hotel bar and asked for a big glass of beer. We saw, that man sitting there has got large glass of beer on the table, therefore we thought that they are serve big size of beer. How shocked we were when waiter brought small 2 dcl glass of beer. We felt discriminated. We got small beer, because we are woman. So we run a way from hotel bar.

It was around 4.00 p.m. We had just small snack in the airplane, therefore we decided to go to the regular restaurant. We went to nearest restaurant and we asked for a menu. We were shocked again. Waitres said, that they cood after 5.30 p.m. because a chef is comming to work at 5.00 p.m., first he will cook a dinner for restaurant staff and then for customers. I was unbeliveable. We were discriminated twice during one day. It is really strange for me, because I am from the country, where you can eat any time during the day and dring same size of beer as man drink. Due to the fact, that we did not know where any other restaurant is, we were waiting and after 5.30 p.m. same waitris brought requested menu and finally we got a dinner.

We slept in a small twin room of Hotel Union, which was basic, but fine for us. Another surprise was in breakfast room. I have never seen such a small buffet. Just one white yoghurt and one with strawberries. 2 different kinds of chees and salami. That´s was it. Nothing else.

I cannot recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Lubostaradost
Poole
Reviewed July 1, 2012

Rooms were clean and tidy and the staff spoke English and were helpful. Easy access to the underground as it's right outside the door and this takes you straight down to the town or the lake, so from that point of view it's very good.

However, breakfast was a shambles with guests having to help each other get coffee etc. Didn't eat there for dinner but another guest had pizza, which looked good. I thought it was very expensive for what we actually got compared to the other hotels we had stayed in during our trip.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Helsinki, Southern Finland, Finland
Reviewed April 5, 2012

We stay , more than 30 members from hotel schools around the world at this hotel.. terrible. Internet was not working. The staff had no service mind or attitude. The hotel supposed to be 3 star.. minus three is a better suitable rating.

Room Tip: change it to a hotel downtown Lausanne. The floor is wild... What ever happens at the hotel during t...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Pirkko S
Beijing, China
Reviewed February 7, 2012

Me and my collegues are staying here for the winter programme held by a local university and the company arranged us to stay in this hotel.

The hotel is rated 3 star officially. But the service and facilities is just average. Maybe it is the normal situation in this city.

The hotel room was clean, tidy. It provides in-room safe, cable TV and WIFI. Unfortunately there was very limited English Channel in TV and others are in French, basically it already stop me from watching TV. The WIFI is poor. I am not quite sure other guests experience this or not, but me and my colleagues all have this problem. The signal is good but there was no data transferred even if I tried to open a Swiss based website like 'Google.ch'. Unacceptable thing is the Guest Service have no idea about what happened and couldn't help us. NO TV and NO Internet plus quiet in the neighbour area really make it boring for your leisure time.

The hotel reception works from 7am to 10:30pm on business days and 8am to 8pm on the weekend. Basically the Receptionist will take in charge all the enquiries from the guests. So you need to pray you don't have any problems when they are off. Hotel serves breakfast on a daily basis. Selections are limited but still delicious.

All in all, the hotel is fare in service and facilities. But definitely there is a big space for it to improve.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Epalinges
Aquatis Hotel
#12 of 46 in Lausanne
Hotel AlaGare
Hotel AlaGare
#29 of 46 in Lausanne

Been to Hotel Union? Share your experiences!