“Family resort with friendly staff”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Sugi Island
Telunas Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sugi Island
Singapore, Singapore
“Family resort with friendly staff”
Reviewed July 9, 2014

We have been to Telunas beach resort with my husband, nanny and 1 year old baby. We were received at Batam by William, a great host who took care of us during all our stay. He made sure that we are fine and enjoying our time there.
The journey has started by a boat trip from Batam. To be honest, I was afraid of the idea of taking the boat with my little son as I was wondering about his safety and how to keep him busy during the 1.5 hour trip. We are not the kind of adventurous parents :).Everything went very smoothly. William gave us a safety jacket for our baby that we did not even use. The water is calm, no waves so no chocks. My son was busy smiling to the other guests for 30 mins than he slept. In short, if you are like us, the kind of very precautious parents and you dont like to take risk with your kids, you still CAN DEFINITELY GO TO TELUNAS :)

After the boat trip, we arrived to Telunas. We were surprised how friendly, warm and smiley the staff is. We immediately felt that we are visiting our family. I can not tell you how sad we were when it was time to leave snif snif.
Our son immediately found a friend and was happy spending time with the staff.
The facilities are great and can keep you busy all day. We loved watching the guests fishing and we enjoyed the library/reading room area.
Room side, we went to the family chalet, the room is spacious, it has 2 fans, but we did not feel the need of using them. The bathroom has hot water.
If you are looking for something more luxury, private and quiet, you can go to the private island where the villas are decorated with very refined taste, from the villa huge balcony, you can see the sunset and count the stars. There is also a pool.

In short, there is something there about the environment, the people, the area, the ambiance, the Idontknowwhat that makes you feel relaxed and happy!
As I said, we felt home so we will definitely go back again to visit our family there ;) and thanks again to the great staff!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

1 Thank Rana S
Dave S, Manager at Telunas Beach Resort, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Hi RanaS,

It’s wonderful to hear of the great time you had and exciting to know that you and your family will definitely be back again. I too haven’t quite put my finger on the “something” that makes people feel relaxed and happy at Telunas (i.e., I've thought perhaps the genuineness and authenticity that quickly put me at ease when I first visited in February?). Regardless, it’s fantastic that you felt like family and that William did a great job serving you.

It was also great to hear that your 1 year old son did well. As safety is important to us, offering a life jacket for your infant during the ride over is something all our staff should be doing (which is why we have infant sizes available) and I’m glad to hear we followed through.

Thanks for allowing Telunas to be a little part of your 2014 summer experiences. We count it a privilege and hope you’re able to keep that deep sense of being relaxed and happy with you as you begin preparations for the upcoming fall.

Dave

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
  • Indonesian first
Reviewed July 2, 2014

My husband and I went to Telunas with our two young kids and we are definitely going back again! We stayed in the Beach resort and spent our time at the beautiful beach or in the activity room reading or playing with the kids. Loved the simplicity yet comfort of the place. And having no other electronic distractions around allowed us to spend real quality time with the family. We even had a pizza making night and roasting marshmallows in the bonfire one evening! overall highly recommended for people who want to relax and unwind. The only area of improvement would be that there was some confusion regarding was that when we reached, we were told that a staff member would be helping us in the immigration process which would save time. We waited as per instructions but no one turned up. We met the Telunas staff only after we had cleared immigration. As a result we ended up spending more time than expected. But besides that the rest of the trip was smooth and hassle free. Thanks again for giving us such a great experience!

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dave S, Manager at Telunas Beach Resort, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
Hi Bobdips,
Thanks for your positive review -- and we were so glad to hear about the great time you, your husband, and kids spent connecting with each other. Hearing about such meaningful moments helps us as we continue to walk down the unconventional path of maintaining a TV and wifi-free refuge for our guests.

Thanks also for sharing about your arrival experience. While Telunas generally meets all of its (non-group, non-retreat, etc.) guests after the immigration clearing point, one of our staff members had wanted to make your trip a little easier and so tried to coordinate something slightly different from what we normally do. Please accept our sincere apologies for the mix-up; it was well-intentioned but simply wasn't fully worked out.

Our team is so excited that your family is definitely planning on coming back! When you do book your next reservation, please do reference the last time you were with us. We especially appreciate our returning guests and want Telunas to continue to be a refreshing, enjoyable respite for you.

Reviewed June 29, 2014

My family of 4 (8 & 10 yr old boys) stayed at Telunas beach Family Room for 2 nights and the Private Island Villa for 1 night. We arrived on 21/6 (Sat & Singapore Jun sch holiday). The International ferry to Batam was delayed for half hr and it took us another 3hrs to clear the Batam immigration due to the lack of a proper queue system. (If you have a party of more than 10, I wld advise making arrangement for grp custom clearance on peak Fri/Sat or perhaps travel on a Sun instead!)

Thankfully, we had hired the private charter to Telunas. Our Telunas 'host' (Maruwi) and the boat had been patiently waiting for us. I refer to Maruwi as a host because throughout our stay at the beach, he was there for us - when we needed a kayak, when we did the low-rope adventure. He also helped us to change the time of our International ferry and the transfer to the Private Island. He is very friendly and patient. Our room was well ventilated except for the upper bunk bed which was away from the ceiling fan. The lower bunk bed had a portable fan. I loved the ensuite which has floor tiles and looks new, definitely exceeded my expectation for "Kelong" accommodation.

My boys love playing ping pong, I think it was partly because the ball did not bounce around in the sand, so it makes the game more fun for beginners. We enjoyed the jetty jump but procrastinated on the high platform jump until it was 'too late' as the high tide is 5-6pm and we had scheduled to leave for the Private Island after lunch.

The Private Island has a very different atmosphere - tranquil and exclusive. We enjoyed the infinity pool and trekking to the beach on the other side of the Island. The sunset and star-filled sky were beautiful sights. The Villa had a bed that faced the sea and sunrise (which we missed due to clouds and rain). My children slept in the loft which was well ventilated and had a little reading corner. My favourite was the balcony where I star gazed on the bed outside and saw a shooting star. It was so unexpected that I forgot to make a wish! We enjoyed the fine dinning and will bring a bottle of wine in the next trip! Our 'host', Ian, is very cheerful and warm. She truly made my day and ensure that our trip concluded pleasantly.

At Telunas, without TV and wifi (we resisted bringing ipads & Macbook), we retreated into a world where time seemed to slow down. First trip & will be back for more!

1 Thank TheGohFamily
“At Telunas, without TV and wifi, we retreated into a world where time seemed to slow down.” – the Goh family

Dear Goh Family,
Exciting to hear that you stayed at both our Private Island and Beach Resort during your first trip to Telunas, and it’s wonderful that you’re planning on coming back again!

I especially loved your comment I noted above – for while we continue to dialogue with guests and others about this, we so far still feel that providing a temporary reprieve from being highly plugged into technology is a gift we appreciate and want to share with others (especially as we all can still access email at Telunas via our phones).

Anyways, thanks for taking the time to share your experience with us and our potential guests. I made sure Maruli and Ian saw your kind comments, and rest assured that we’ll all be cheering your family on the next time you all conquer the high deck!

Best,
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Reviewed June 25, 2014

We've just come back from 4 days stay in Telunas Beach Resort and our kids would love to come back soon. Except for the first, bad impression at pickup time which I will talk later on, our stay in Telunas Beach Resort was successful in term of beach activities, food, service.......The staff are all very friendly and professional. We could try kayak and kids love to play with the paddle board. However, we noticed that the paddle board was moved to the new Private Island later on. It's not good if there's only 1 paddle board to share between 2 resorts. It will be better if the resort provide more kayaks and paddle boards for guests at the 2 resorts so that they don't have to wait for long. Everybody would love to have something to play with when they are on the beach.

On the way back, our boat had to stop by the new Private Island to pick up more guests and I noticed that the beach at the new resort (Private island) may be a bit wavy and not as big and shallow as the one in Telunas Beach Resort. It might be more difficult to play with the paddle board or kayak in the new resort. If you don't like to see big groups of tourist then you should stay at the new Private Island. But as family with young kids we would love to come back and stay at Telunas Beach Resort.

Sleep quality may depend on the wave. Sometimes the wave is too big and too loud at night and that may affect your sleep.

One more improvement you need to pay attention is the clear instruction on the render-vouz spot at Sekupang Ferry Station. Maybe because most of the time, the resort staff pick up guests from Singapore so they often wait for guests at the International Ferry Station which is big and clean. However, as we came from Jakarta and logically, we thought that going to your resort would be via Domestic Ferry Station. Before our departure, the resort staff only mentioned that resort staff will pick us up at the Ferry Station. What happened to us is that we came directly and waited for Telunas representative at the domestic ferry station which is extremely noisy and dirty for more than 30 minutes. However, the Telunas Representative was waiting for another guest from Singapore at the International Ferry Station. We tried to call her phone number but after 14 times trying, the phone was always not in service. We really felt disappointed. Later on, my elder kids had to walk to the International Ferry to look for her. And the staff in charge of pick up didn't try to call us as she thought that we were later ????

Hope this can be improved so other guests will not be in our situation.

In general, we love to come back and would recommend Telunas Beach Resort to all of our friends.

Dave S, Manager at Telunas Beach Resort, responded to this review, July 2, 2014
Le H,

We’re truly glad your family had a great getaway at Telunas Beach Resort. Also, thanks so much for connecting off-line and clarifying the details of your unusually challenging arrival. Just to share the positive solutions we came up with (especially for our guests flying into BTH), our team will:

1. Seek guest confirmation re: their having International Ferry Station pick-up point information
2. Send Telunas host contact number well in advance and aim to use only one contact number
3. Be more proactive if any disconnects (e.g., we’ll be the ones calling you 14x's if needed)
4. Review need for more kayaks and paddle boards given new Private Island property

We’re ecstatic that you all love the idea of coming back, and its awesome that you’re already recommending Telunas Beach Resort to your friends (even in the midst of us stubbing our toes as we work through our first new property development ever!).

As we exist to be a gift to our local village communities, our amazing staff, and our incredible guests, know that we hope Telunas will remain a gift to your own family and community in the many years ahead.

Red Hook, New York
Reviewed June 15, 2014

I recently stayed at Teluna's as a quick beach getaway while I was traveling to Singapore, to visit my son who lives there (before all heading off to Japan) . We were myself, my son who lives in Singapore, and my younger son, on the trip. I have to say it was one of the highlights of our entire 3 week trip! We stayed 2 nights there, but I wish it could have been longer. The resort is so beautiful, in a simple laid back sort of way. I loved the more casual atmosphere than you would get at a more ritzy "high end" resort. It was perfect for our desire for a quiet relaxing beach getaway. The room was simple and beautiful, with a lovely little balcony where we could sit and enjoy the gorgeous view with fresh coffee brought to our room each morning, or to enjoy the sunset after dinner. The beach was lovely, quiet and relaxing. We were usually the only ones there. The water was warm and soothing. In addition to swimming and relaxing with a book on the beach, we also enjoyed playing badmitton in the sand, tether ball, and ping pong, and taking a kayak out on the water. At low tide it was fun to take a walk and watch all the little soldier crabs scuttling around on the beach. Meals in the common area, buffet style, felt more like a family party than a dining hall experience. The food was well presented, simple, yet delicious. We enjoyed lingering after dinner with a game of scrabble or cards (provided), before heading back to our room. One night the staff made a bonfire on the beach, where we enjoyed watching the little ones, who were staying at the resort, roasting marshmallows and playing about, and also chatting with some of the other guests and getting to know them. The staff (and owner) were very warm and friendly, and really felt more like friends than workers (especially Yani!). The whole atmosphere was so warm, friendly and inviting, plus relaxing and beautiful, I will always fondly remember our first trip to Indonesia at the beautiful Telunas resort. I hope to get back there some day for a longer stay.

Room Tip: We stayed in C3. A great room with a sweet little balcony overlooking a lovely view of the water and...

3 Thank Tori-Anne-24
Houston, Texas, United States
Reviewed May 29, 2014

I went to Telunas in May with my boyfriend after hearing countless wonderful things from my colleages' children, who went on a few school trips. After checking out the website and reviews on TripAdvisor, I decided to go ahead and book a 2 night stay for us so that we could relax before he left to return to the US. The resort is wonderful, and they have really put a lot of thought into everything. With that said, be sure to read up on all reviews before booking, because my boyfriend and I both pointed out that the Telunas experience is not for everyone.

First, let me just say that the staff at Telunas is absolutely wonderful. From the time we met up with them at Sekupang ferry in Batam, they were extremely nice and accommodating. Because the resort is so small, you feel as if you're all together as a family of sorts.

We stayed in a private chalet (C6, I believe?), and it was great. The rooms are spacious and ideal for couples, but would also work for families with children, as they had a nook on the side with bunk beds for additional guests in the chalet. The view from the balcony was incredible. Each morning they brought coffee to our room, and we sat on the balcony and enjoyed the beautiful scenery. We even saw a few monkeys on the beach, which was really cool. I will say that, like a previous reviewer, I was also surprised at the fact that there was no shampoo/conditioner in the rooms, but as the manager pointed out in an earlier review, they were available for purchase at the canteen (for a very reasonable price, in my opinion).

There is no air conditioning in the rooms, but the breeze coming from the water was good enough for us. In addition, they also have a few fans in the room, if you need an extra bit of air. We were comfortable.

If you have kids, Telunas is WONDERFUL. We took a boat in with a family with 4 children, and the staff was constantly engaged with the kids, keeping them entertained with coloring books, games, etc. There was also a group of 15 or so middle school children while we were there, and the resort kept them busy with school activities, beach picnics, and nature hikes. What a great experience for them!

The food was delicious, and I felt like there was a good variety. For each meal, there were two or so main courses to pick from, along with sides of vegetables, fruit, etc. If you are looking for an extensive breakfast/dinner buffet, you won't find it here, but you will find yummy, freshly prepared food to hold you over until the next meal. If you get hungry in between meals, there are snacks for purchase at the canteen. We took advantage of this during our "happy hour" -- which was really all day -- and bought COLD beers fairly frequently (cold beers are a bit of a rarity in Batam, where I live). For $4 sing dollars/beer, I thought that was an extremely reasonable price, considering we had just come from KL and Singapore and paid upwards of $8/beer over there.

We reserved a romantic dinner for one night during our stay, and it was really wonderful. The staff decorated our room very nicely, and we were served traditional Indonesian food on the balcony of one of the chalets. With the beautiful backdrop and wonderful food, it was a really nice experience.

If you are a nature type, and are interested in taking a walk in the woods or something similar, Telunas has plenty of options available. We piggybacked on the group of kids who were staying at the resort and went on a nature walk with them to a waterfall hidden deep in the "jungle". The tide went out while we were walking, so when we returned, we had to walk through knee-high water in order to get back to our boat. Not my favorite part of the trip, but it was an adventure, and it was definitely memorable!! :)

One thing I wish we would have thought about before coming - bring some entertainment...books, playing cards, games, etc. Telunas has a few of those options, but most have a bit of wear from past guests, and it would have been good to have been prepared and brought our own. There are books available to borrow, and they welcome travelers to leave their books behind as a donation.

My only issue with the trip were the bugs! But I'm not a real "outdoorsy" girl, so that's understandable. It's just nature, as I was told a few times. :)

Oh - a tip! Bring a backpack, sports bag, or something along those lines instead of a roller luggage bag. It is a bit cumbersome for the boat driver to get it on/off the boat.

All in all, the resort is great. The owners have done a wonderful job of creating a serene destination if you want to escape for awhile. I will most likely be back, and I really want to check out their new resort across the water.

Thanks for the wonderful stay!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Devon O
Reviewed May 14, 2014

Telunas has its unique ambience ..It can be romantic for couples ,and perfect family runaway
The moment you reach there you feel you belong to one whole big family !!
The staff are well trained and more welcoming than a 5 star hotels ...The food is of great taste just like home ..I adored the fact that we had to eat all at the same time felt like we are all having a big family fiesta !!
Cant wait for our next Runaway !!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
#11 of 18 in Bintan Island
Serumpun Padi Mas Resort
Serumpun Padi Mas Resort
#4 of 7 in Tanjung Pinang

Been to Telunas Beach Resort? Share your experiences!