“"Another fantastic visit"”

Le Petit Canard
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed October 22, 2012

This was my third visit to the restaurant (having previously visited in 2010 and 2011) accompanied by my cousin and her husband with whom I was staying in Poole. In 2010 I had asked them to select their favourite local restaurant so that I could take them for a meal to show my gratitude for their kindness in having me to stay. I was somewhat surprised when they selected a restaurant in a village over one hour's drive away, but - oh my goodness - what a gem of a place, and thus both last year and again this we have returned to this compact but wonderful family-run establishment, overseen by expert chef Gerry Craig and his wife Cathy.

I always think that the mark of an exceptional restaurant is that having been presented with a menu comprising a choice of five alternatives for each of the three courses plus a selection of specials, one is left drooling at the prospect at the feast to follow, and with an almost impossible task of having to select from amongst the mouth-watering possibilities, and thus it was so unusual that on this occasion the three of us completely coincided in our choices for the starter and main courses (both from the choice of specials): Sauteed king prawns in a garlic and parsley butter followed by fillet of Halibut with a white wine, dill and cream sauce with a hint of tomato, accompanied by a selection of vegetables and potato. This choice attracted a small supplementary cost to the normal two or three course fixed price arrangement that is offered. Our selections diverged when choosing sweets, my cousin selecting ice cream, her husband the warm lemon tart with lemon curd ice cream and a raspberry drizzle while I selected the sticky toffee pudding with caramel sauce and cream..

Before our meals we each had a G&T, a bottle of 'Stablemate' Sauvignon Blanc was consumed with the meal and we had coffee (accompanied by homemade chocolates) to complete the titivation of our tastebuds!

Our verdict on the meal? Absolutely first class! The king prawns kicked off the meal in jolly fine style and all three of us were licking our lips at the delicate flavourings and meaty prawns along with which we were treated to some excellent home made bread. Halibut is a favourite fish of us all and the generous portions we all enjoyed were demolished with hardly a word passing amongst us, so engrossed and impressed were we with the truly sensational flavourings, the freshness of the fish itself, and a splendid assortment of vegetables in just the right quantities for our requirements. In addition, the Sauvignon Blanc was the perfect accompaniment to these two courses.

I must admit that I was anticipating the creme brulee for my sweet course (a Blueberry one on this occasion) as I had done on the first two visits, but in discussion of preferring a "lightish" sweet to complete my meal I was encouraged to try the sticky toffee pudding - and sure enough it was a complete triumph, and much lighter in texture when compared with any other creations masquerading under the same description elsewhere, and perfectly flavoured. No wonder Le Petit Canard has an AA rosette (as they have done for many years past, from the awards proudly displayed in the restaurant). The lemon tart was the usual triumph apparently, while the ice cream left my cousin slightly bemused as it seemed rather less sweet than usually encountered. Cathy explained that this was as it should be, as most who have it do so in accompaniment of a something already quite sweet.

Clearly, this is not an establishment that rests on bygone laurels, and on the evidence of another very fine meal, Gerry and Cathy should enjoy a healthy trade for as long as they choose to continue their wonderful culinary enterprise (they've been doing it for 12 twelve years so far, apparently!)

I look forward to returning to "the Duck" again in the not too distant future, and completely understand how it has become the favourite restaurant of my cousin and her husband. It is also somewhere that I can recommend unreservedly to everyone else.

1  Thank paul_jerome_smith

Reviewed October 21, 2012

We recently had a family get together at Le Petit Canard and had a wonderful time. We had such a warm welcome from Cathy before she took us to our table. We really enjoyed our homemade bread with our starters; my scallops just melted in my mouth. I found it really hard to choose my main course, should I have the loin fillet of wild venison or the rump of lamb? I chose the lamb and I'm so glad I did, the lemon garlic reduction was delicious. Nothing was too much trouble for Carhy and Gerry, some extra vegetables were soon brought to our table. It's so nice to be asked if everything is ok with our meals, other restaurants don't seem to care as much as Cathy and Gerry do. When it comes to pud, I can't recommend the chocolate mousse torte highly enough. It's amaretto biscuit base makes it very original and the mousse was deliciously light. Coffee and homemade chocolates to finish and we really felt as if we'd been spoilt. Gerry, Cathy's husband and also the chef, popped out at the end of the evening to say hello. I couldn't help over hearing comments from other diners, everyone had enjoyed their dining experience. As winter approaches and the nights are dark and foggy, instead of staying indoors,it is well worth venturing out to Le Perit Canard!

1  Thank CNWorcestershire
Reviewed October 20, 2012

the service was ok but the meal was poor
we had beef which was as tough as old boots also the carrots were like bullets and for the money we paid i was deeply dissapointing and i expected better.

6  Thank BILLYBISCAY B
Reviewed September 16, 2012

Three of us went there for a celebratory meal. We all had the steak, with vegetables, roughly about 1 sprig of cauliflower, a few potatoes each and a couple of slices of carrot. Two of us ordered our steaks 'medium' they came oozing blood. We returned them they were still quite rare. The female seemed rather tired of the 'waiting at table' thing and I was still hungry. So over all it was an overpriced disappointment (40 pounds a head) and we would not recommended it or return again either.

2  Thank chazzo c
Reviewed August 22, 2012

We were staying for the week just outside Maiden Newton and picked Le Petit Canard for our last night meal.

Not the cheapest restaurant, but the quality of the food made it good value for money.

The service was friendly and attentive and Gerry and Cathy are a lovely couple.

We would certainly go again if we were in that part of the world