“A cosy place for a delicious dinner”
Review of The Sidewalk Cafe

The Sidewalk Cafe
Ranked #1 of 3 Restaurants in Vredehoek
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 31, 2013

A small restaurant at the corner that proposes very well cooked dishes like patagonian calamari with a lemon, chili, garlic sauce... Very kind people for the service. A warm atmosphere for a agreable dinner.

Reviewed July 28, 2013

We phoned to book a table for Sunday lunch. "We don't take bookings but if you come now we'll make a plan". We were there in five minutes. A couple ahead of us took the last remaining table (for six). They didnt even hint at the fact they were well-nigh full. We explained that we had just phoned and that they had said etc. They looked blankly, neither apologised nor "made a plan". So they don't need our custom, do they? Arrogance and don't give a damn attitude. Ok watch this space.Madame Zingara's empire: the road is trodden with folded restaurants.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

We were recommended by the Manna Bay and had a very good meal in pleasant surroundings. It was good home cooked food and a nice break from formal restaurants, great staff who made us feel welcome

Reviewed May 27, 2013

We started our monday evening hungry. The first choice was closed, and The sidewalk was our next option. Having never been there, I was very tempted to test it out. I have only heard good things, so surely this would be like every other time I first go to a restaurant: Start off with high hopes, and pray they don't get shattered.

Well it started off with prompt service, the waiter seemed very eager to help out. By mid evening, it seemed his energy had subsided, and speaking to his co-workers seemed more entertaining than serving his customers.

The food options had a wide variety, but nothing specifically catching my eye, I opted for the chicken curry. It came out as a watery, slightly salted soup with chunks of rubbery chicken swimming amongst watery vegetables.

My sister in law ordered a vegetarian pasta, that seemed to exhibit all the hallmarks of microwaved food, although we were assured otherwise. Bland, and undercooked. Tough, rubber, tires, those are the words I would use to describe it.

The head manageress was kind enough to replace all the offending meals, and not even charge us with their replacements. Unfortunately, they did little more than fill us up and giving us the confidence to just ask for the bill and leave.

All in all it would be wrong of me to recommend going to this restaurant to anyone I could call a friend. Perhaps it was the wrong day of the week to go.

1  Thank CharlieSheenZA
Reviewed May 20, 2013

This little gem in Vredehoek offers an excellent cup of coffee and really great meals. A beautiful view down the street towards the harbour and the funky decor make it a very pleasant place to be!