“Lovely meal on a Tuesday night.”

The White Horse Inn & Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 3 Thruxton B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 12, 2013

Came across this little pub while driving around on a Tuesday night looking for such an establishment. The menu looked good and the restaurant warm and welcoming. As it was only 6pm we were the only ones in the restaurant, the staff were friendly and sat us down in a nice area. The service was good and the food arrived promptly. My wife had sea bass and I had the pork belly, both were absolutely fantastic. The only downside was that the portion size was quite small, however this meant we could enjoy a lovely chocolate desert. Having read previous bad reviews I didn't experience any of the problems mentioned. Will certainly visit again. Only 4 stars as the portion size was quite small although delicious.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Thompson83

Reviewed December 20, 2012

I arrived around half past 6 and went into the pub. I waited at the bar and then told the lady I had a room booked. She gave me a key and said i was best going round the side. That was it, they didnt even ask my name or anything. I asked what time they served food until which was 9pm.

I got the the room which was quite nice. The tv was a long was away from the bed so you couldnt see it very well. The bathroom had a nice large shower but the rail was hanging off the wall.

I knew wifi was in the pub but there was nothing in the room to tell me a password and i wasnt told about it on arrival. I had a shower and went for some food.

The food was very nice, i was asked if i wanted to sit in the restaurant but i was happy on a little table in the bar, saves on washing all the stuff up.

I had squid and then phesant. Both were very nice. A saw a couple of other dishes and they looked nice. The menu is pretty small though, but you can see it on their website before you go if needed.

I got the wifi password when i asked!

I went back to room and to bed. the door into the accomodation was hard to shut so everytime someone went out or came in you could hear them. There was a bit of background noise but nothing major, it is in the middle of nowhere.

The morning i fancied a bit of a sleep in as i had had a very long day the previous day.

I went down at 9am to check ot and have breakfast. The pub lighs were all off ad i couldnt find anyone. Then a gentleman came into the bar and seemed surprised to see me. I gave him my room key and said i was checking out and where did i have breakfast as i had paid for b&b.

He told me they werent doing it anymore. I questioned this and he said he had asked the staff last night if people were in for breakfast. I said I was but iwas never asked about it or told what time it was. He said the kitchen staff had left. He could offer me a coffee and some toast. I told him not to bother himself but in future to tell his staff they need to the guests what is happened.

I understand its only a small b&b but if they had sadi breakfast is at 7am or 8am then thats fine, but not to mention anything is no good.

I wont be going there again but overall not such a bad place. i have tayed in much worse and it also means i dont have to go to a standard premier inn or travelodge etc, they are boring.

Hope this helps some if you.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for everything you need. Ask them if there are any specific times for things!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank tom h
Reviewed November 22, 2012

I needed a place to stop for lunch, pulled of A303 and found this beautiful place.

Chose the Chefs signature dish (unknowingly) Pork belly....... BEST I'VE HAD.

Thank you for a fabulous lunch, I will travel to eat there again.

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed November 1, 2012

I stayed here for one night as a walk-in. I was welcomed like an old friend and shown to a lovely room. Both dinner and breakfast were seriously good too. I would recommend to any would be guests of the area.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank blackdog2k
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Picked The White Horse because it was on A303 on way to Gatwick for holiday Had farmers platter the rind on the cheese took three quarters of cheese could not bite into it, it was so hard when complained to chef he stated it was meant to be a hard cheese (jaws I am not) only cheese options to replace were applewood smoked or more of the same cheese. Home made burger 2 dia max totally ruined by applying applewood smoked cheese burger smelt as if it had been in bonfire having already complained about platter felt the best option was to pencil in as a bad job never to return.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank lloyd47
Reviewed October 17, 2012

A lot of pubs could learn lessons from the White Horse. Anyone who enters is made to feel welcome by staff and customers alike. All produce is sourced locally. Everything is homemade and you can tell by the taste, right down to pates and relish. The prices start at under £10.00 for a main course but the quality is never compromised. A warm welcome, lovely food in a thatched traditional pub. What more could you ask for? I eat here on a regular basis and every family member or friend I have introduced to the White Horse has made it their first choice when eating out. Friends who have stayed overnight have commented on the excellent accommodation and the breakfast is second to none.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 19, 2012

Just read the latest reviews on here and I felt obliged tomake a comment. They must have gone to the wrong place as they couldn't be more wrong! We have just had the most pleasant experience at the little village pub and it was all we could have asked for. The staff were so friendly and helpful, they couldn't do enough for us to make our stay comfortable and welcoming.

The food was exceptional, not a huge menu but the quality shines through. Even though the portions aren't huge, you definitely don't leave there hungry but instead pleasantly satisfied and eager to go back again to sample something else. It was a relaxed environment with the local customers having a good laugh at the bar, something that is really good to see.

I don't understand the comments from the other reviewers, just please don't let it put you off trying this great find. Go there and make your mind up for yourself, i'm sure you will enjoy the food and the atmosphere.

Room Tip: There are only 4 bedrooms here and rooms 1 and 2 are the biggest and nicest and further away from th...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Thruxton
Best Western Andover Hotel
#6 of 8 in Andover
The Hawk Inn
The Hawk Inn
#1 of 1 in Amport

Been to The White Horse Inn & Restaurant? Share your experiences!