“The best we have seen on Flores”

Golo Hilltop Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in Labuan Bajo
Vienna, Austria
“The best we have seen on Flores”
Reviewed February 12, 2014 via mobile

Unfortunately we were only able to stay for one night with the polite ladies Ingrid & Judith as they were fully booked even in low season. Their response on emails is amazingly quick!
We opted for the deluxe room on the upmost top of the hill offering beautiful views (causes one to climb some more steps) which is in fact 1/2 of a double bungalow. The room is very spacious and spotlessly clean, the bathroom fulfills european standards.
At the moment there is some renovation going on at 2 of the standard rooms out of 10 rooms at all.
Walking down to the main road with shops and restaurants takes about 10 to 15 minutes, a bemo will bring you back up for 25.000
Right now there is a building site for the all new international airport close to the old one, should be ready for operation in june 2014 (maybe)

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed February 11, 2014

I really enjoyed my stay at Golo Hilltop in Labuan Bajo. The staff were very friendly, rooms were clean, breakfast was adequate.
Very helpful in arranging transfers.
It is a walk down and then back up, the hill into the main part of town. I rented a scooter for the length of my stay.
However, the view is spectacular and the pool is a great place to sit, relax and swim :)

• Stayed February 2014
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed February 4, 2014

What I liked about the location was the view from the hill, the place has a very nice view and the friendly staff and owners.

What I disliked where the enormous amounts of mosquitos in the room, the noise from the (temporary construction works), the old-fashioned design of the rooms, the distance from Labuan Bajo, especially if you go diving in the morning, and the fact that you needed to pay extra to get a juice with your breakfast.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank FreekAmsterdam
Rotterdam
Reviewed January 16, 2014

We stayed here after a 3-night liveaboard. I was a bit in doubt whether I should be giving this accomodation three or four stars, but settled on 3.

Let me start by mentioning the good things:
- the location is absolutely beautiful. The view over the Labuan Bajo bay is breathtaking
- prices, if you consider location, are good
- rooms were clean
- swimming pool + view is great

Then some of the negatives:
- it seems quite a walk from Labuan Bajo
- the owners did not teach their staff to be service oriented. We arrived around 8 PM in the evening and although we did get a key from reception, we had to carry our luggage up the (many!) stairs by ourselves. I am fine with carrying my own backpack, but hey, some help should be offered if you are in a hotel (it was the same story when leaving)! In addition, we didnt get any help (maps, etc) when we were going down to the village by bike leading to us getting lost a couple of times that night
- rooms are very simple and I didnt like the design, very 90's.
- the only place in Indonesia where we didnt get free fruit juice at breakfast. I had to pay extra when I wanted mixed juice in addition to my coffee. I mean, really? Same held for the fact that we rented a scooter for 1 day plus about 2 hours and we had to pay extra for those two hours. Exemplary Dutch behaviour ;) (saying this as a Dutch person myself)

Room Tip: Choose a Deluxe room. Barely a price difference with the Superior rooms but the view is better and r...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank IMH-Rdam
Stockport, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 12, 2014 via mobile

Having stayed here on 26th December and reading the review of somebody who arrived three days later I consider myself very lucky indeed. I found the hotel totally adequate for an overnight stay. Yes, Labuan Bajo is not a town you could admire but is a gateway to Komodo. We walked to the town and back in total darkness but did not feel frightened and a friendly local stopped and gave us a lift into town as we had walked the wrong way from the hotel. The owners of Golo were away but we were greeted and shown to our room which was clean, bright and had a safe for valuables. Fortunately I did not see more than the odd flying insect in the room and we were protected by mosquito nets. We had fabulous weather in which to enjoy a swim, overlooking views which I consider second to none. The overnight boat trip to Rinka and Komodo, arranged by Golo, was fabulous, enhanced by two days of non stop sunshine and a sea like a millpond. Food at Golo Hilltop was basic but again adequate, fresh and .....that view!

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Tagsalong
Bunbury, Australia
Reviewed December 28, 2013

All the email exchanges I've had with Ingrid and Judith (the owners) prior booking and prior coming to Labuan Bajo were perfect and they organised Airport transfer for us too.

We initially planned to stay 4 nights, we ended up staying only 1 night.
The main reason was because of the weather. Constant rain, even the locals were saying "all it does is rain" so we didn't the adventure on a boat and missed out on the dragons. I don't think the conditions were good enough to enjoy the adventure.

Golo Hilltop has an amazing view from any room! It is really beautifully located!
The swimming pool looked nice too.
Is it located only 10min walk from the city center of Labuan Bajo as most people say? It didn't look that close to me! I would bet more on 20min going downhill and 30-35min coming back! But we didn't walk out of the hotel so I can't say for sure. And honestly, I don't think I would walk out of the hotel anyway. The streets look creepy and dangerous so are the people living in Labuan Bajo.

I was expecting the room to be simple but not THAT simple. It was depressing to look at it. We clearly didn't want to spend Christmas in a dump like Labuan Bajo!
Not even a small TV or a radio.
Cockroaches in the supposedly clean towels.
Spiders and other bugs all day and night inside the room.
The bed is like sleeping in jail.
Dead mosquitoes still on the supposedly clean glasses in the bathroom.
Thank God it has an aircon and hot water in the shower!

I found the food surprisingly good, my partner hated it and got sick from it.
Not that surprising, we could hear the cook coughing, sneezing and spitting in the kitchen.

I think the worst experience was when the Indonesian at the reception organised the return transfer to the airport. It was nowhere near what we had to come to the hotel.
He organised this dodgy Indonesian man, obviously nicknamed "Casanova" as his disgusting van said on its side. The "Casanova Van" has about 20 mirrors on the dashboard and above the windscreen, some strange bars attached to the ceiling of the van and a "I will miss you" sticker on the dash and the sliding door didn't close.
This was the creepiest experience of our life. I do not know what happens in this van and I actually don't want to know.
I don't think I need to mention we were relieved to finally see the airport after "Casanova" drove us everywhere around the creepiest sides of Labuan Bajo as we clearly took a way longer way to get back to the airport than the way we took to get to the hotel.
The hotel said it would cost IDR35.000, Casanova asked for IDR50.000. For an extra $1.5, I didn't discuss anything, I just wanted to leave this creepy guy and his dirty van!

I believe this was a nasty joke from the reception guy just because we made our stay shorter than expected.
He was also clearly making fun of us in Indonesian during diner to some other Indonesians and Westerners who understood the language. We may not understand Indonesian but like anyone else, we know when someone makes fun of us.

The choice of alcohol was limited to Bintang and... Bintang. Yep, that's it! No wine, no Smirnoff, nothing but Bintang!

Ingrid and Judith were on holidays and I will put this bad mark on the lack of having managers running the place. But this experience was clearly unacceptable!

Would I come back to Labuan Bajo? Yes, in a different time of the year as I really want to see the dragons.
Would I stay again at Golo Hilltop? Maybe yes, as I actually don't believe I could find any better in Labuan Bajo. Maybe not, because it is far from town and if I want to bargain tours, it is not ideal as the walk seems long and scary.

Room Tip: Definitely pay the extra for the Aircon and hot water!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank JeffyZeFrench
Chicago Ridge, Illinois
Reviewed December 26, 2013

Golo is a nice oasis in Labuan Bajo and was by far the best value place to stay. We stayed for one night before a 3 day liveaboard and loved it. We would have stayed on the back-end of the diving trip but unfortunately it was booked. Golo is situated up a hill about a 5 minute drive from town and it is nice to have a gorgeous view and a nice and quite place. The pool is fabulous and you can get food and drinks served right there. The whole property is extremely well taken care of and is beautiful. Each room has a little porch which is great to sit out on and read / enjoy the view. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful with taxis, etc. The room was clean and the bathroom was as well - also AC which is a must! The wifi worked well when we were there so I believe they have resolved any previous issues. The food was good enough too that you didn't have to head into town unless you wanted to. Highly recommend!!!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
#13 of 19 in Labuan Bajo
Bintang Flores Hotel
Bintang Flores Hotel
#8 of 39 in Flores

Been to Golo Hilltop Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!