“no safety, horrible advise/consulting”

Divers Paradise Komodo
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“no safety, horrible advise/consulting”
Reviewed July 11, 2014 via mobile

we agree with all written here!
1. they lost a booty of our friend
2. we waited on the boat for like 45 minutes for i dont know what
3. you dont have any place to prepare yourself for your dive
4. the guide who we were promised to go with decided to go hiking - 5 minutes before we enter the water we were told about it.
5. cylinder of my husband was filled up with 240 bar and o-ring exploded 3min before entering the water - i dont want to think about what would have happend this happening in the water. (another guest told us the same happened the day before (cylinder filled up with 270 bar)
6. our friend got a broken computer - which he had to search after the trip alooooone on the boat
7. miguel - our dive guide - was the only positiv
8. the food is horrible - u dont get what wolfgang is promising
9. the boat is really old and crappy
10. wolfgang is promising u what ever you want to hear - u dont get any of it.

never ever again!!!!

3 Thank ansam48

Munich, Germany
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Dangerous operator”
Reviewed July 10, 2014

Just like so many others on Tripadvisor I did not take the time to read the reviews online about DiversParadise, so I was rather shocked when I finally did. At the time I was an AOW diver with just ~15 dives and decided to go with DiversParadise as Wolfgang had made certain promises he failed to keep.

1. The boat was in very poor condition looking old and battered. Also there were many pipes and
cables strewn about on deck, posing a serious health & safety risk. The motor was very loud
and continuously emitted huge plumes of black diesel fumes.

2. We were promised dive sites suitable to our level of expertise, instead we were taken to some
sites with vicious & dangerous currents (e.g. Golden Passage)

3. Divers were not given sufficient time to conduct a thorough buddy check. I insisted anyway.

4. I was not diving with the dive Instructor I was promised, instead I was with a Divemaster (who
did turn out to be very kind and helpful)

5. The boat was very cramped, making it difficult for divers to prepare. Not the spacious &
luxurious boat I had in mind after speaking to Wolfgang.

6. Wolfgang also assured us the equipment would be in perfect condition. This was not the case.
Many of the wetsuits were torn and looked quite depressing. However, the biggest problem for
me came when I was diving Golden Passage at 30m depth in very strong current. For reasons
unknown at the time, the needle on my air gauge suddenly started to fluctuate down to ~20 bar.
I immediately tried to alert my divemaster (which is not so easy in these powerful currents) and
then aborted the dive using the divemasters second reg. Fortunately it all turned out ok, but it
was still a very frightening experience, particularly as I was still so inexperienced.

In light of these experiences I can hardly recommend DiversParadise. Their complete disregard for the safety of their customers is baffling. If you value your health, avoid Wolfgang and his operation at all costs.

Regards,

Andrew

Visited March 2014
7 Thank 224Andy
Paris, France
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“The worst diving experience ever”
Reviewed July 7, 2014

Unfortunately I didn't read the reviews before booking with them.
In 4 days I have the same problems described here before.
Problems: engine, compressor, changes in schedule, arriving after 9pm, waiting in the boat 2 hours for loading fuel etc.
The manager refound with more divings te day after, but my lost days and bad experience nobody. Don't trust the guest book, he didn't allow me to write my experience there.
Try any other place and enjoy this beautiful dives.

Visited July 2014
3 Thank Felipe051978
Kuta, Indonesia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Unsafe diving equipment”
Reviewed May 20, 2014

May 2014 I spent three days (8 dives) with Divers Paradise Komodo.
Unfortunately, highly contrasting images have shown to me.

1. Diving spot
The Komodo National Park is considered to be the best diving spot in Indonesia.
In my opinion, rightly so. The biodiversity here is extremely high.

2. Boat / Crew / Dive Professionals
The wooden boat used had in front storage space for all divers equipment, the circa 8 guests and the Dive Professionals.
During the trip, you could make yourself comfortable on soft mats. The boat was old, but clean.
The boat crew was friendly and took care of the passengers.
The Western Instructors were very pleasant and did a good job. All of them have just started to work for this diving school. The local dive masters had some communication difficulties.

Apparently, there was recently a fire on the boat. This was also clearly seen on the leg of a crew member.

3. Diving Equipment
The dive equipment was unfortunately mostly very old and run down. Probably already in use for a long time and not well maintained.
My BCD had, for example, only a 3cm long fibrous cord to one of the valves. The plastic handle seems to have fallen off a long time ago. My one sock liner had a hole on the heel.
Furthermore, the mouthpiece of my regulator was extremely porous. Must have been for a long time in use.
Truly frightening, however, was that my regulator whistled (even a broken O-ring should be taken seriously), and the body check has shown that when pressing the irrigator, the pressure display on the console fluctuates about 15 bar!
To my dismay, nobody showed real interest in that safety problem and told me to do the dive with that equipment!

Safety precautions seem to be not particular taken serious in this dive center. Also, the equipment of the other divers was not particularly new and did not make a good impression.

4. Administration
In my accommodation, I was distracted directly from this diving school.
In addition, many people I have met in Luban Bajo told me not to make a booking with Divers Paradise Komodo. The owner of the diving school is a strange guy. He has no confidence in his customers and goes directly from the fact that you want to steal from him. This manifested itself on the morning of my third day of diving.
I booked my first day as this was the only diving school, which offered on the following day a combined diving and Komodo dragon trip which I really wanted to do.
On the first day I was really clear to me that I am going to change the diving school. Because of other guests I am, however, stayed. The major safety deficiencies have occurred on the 3rd day.

5. Prices
1 days diving with 3 dives costs 1,050,000 IDR
3 days diving with 9 dives cost 2,900,000 IDR
The prices are at the level of the countless other dive shops in Labuan Bajo.
The classic courses as OWD and AOWD were offered at popular prices. Specialty courses were greatly overpriced.

6. Conclusion
In conclusion, because of my negative experience, especially the unsafety of equipment I only can advise to forgo this diving school!
My tolerance ends when vital equipment is insecure!

For this reason, I graded the dive center down to 1 point.

Greetings
John

Visited May 2014
7 Thank John M
Toronto, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“fantastic diving on par or better than Sipadan”
Reviewed May 9, 2014

We dived for three days with DiversParadiseKomodo in May 2014. They are the only dive shop in town which offers three dives per day. You start at 7:30am and come back by 7pm or so on an amazing set of diving sites. All dive sites are rich in corals, large and small fish, fantastic colours and corals. We also got to see the Komodo dragons on Rinca island as part of the third day outing.

Although there are faster boats in town, they offer only two dives per day and the fast boats have no toilets.
What is very nice about the DiversParadiseKomodo is that the boat has a huge covered lounge area where you can relax, sleep, read, have lunch and snacks during the long ride to and from the dive sites. The trip is approximately 2.5 hours long each way but the views are fantastic. You will never get bored just by looking at the scenery.

Now for the dives themselves. In each dive (8 different dive sites) we saw white tip fin and bamboo sharks, turtles, beautiful soft and hard corals, Napoleaon fish, barracuda shoals, bumpheads, cuttlefish, octopedes. But most amazing was swimming and diving with 11 manta rays, each 4-5m in span.

The local divemaster, Tadsing, is amazing. He has a fantastic sight, spotting and pointing everything to us. He shared his air with those who ran out of oxygen faster, just to make our dive longer and more enjoyable for everyone else in the group. Herbert, the German guy in charge with the group, does an excellent job of briefing everyone before each dive.
The food on the boat was plentiful and tasty and all the stuff were very friendly and very helpful.

All of our dives were 50-60 minute long. Water temperature was 29-30 degrees, no need for protection suit, We had our own equipment, so we cannot comment on the quality of the rented equipment.

Overall, the best diving experience for me to date, on par with Sipadan off Borneo, where only one of the diving sites (Baraccuda Point) is as good as the 8 we visited in Komodo.

Visited May 2014