“Many issues”

Shenzhen, China
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Many issues”
Reviewed February 12, 2014

I was disappointed with my experience when diving with this outfit.

I booked 3 dives on a day trip on February 6th. When paying the night before and filling out the forms the night before, I gave several pieces of information such as required wetsuit and boots sizes etc, and was told to come early in the morning to gear up. Upon arrival, we were escorted to the boat straight away and I was told that my gear was already on the boat. Well my gear was there alright, but most of it was too small. MY BCD was a size too small, and my weight belt was several inches too short. I am quite a big man (115KG, 190cm tall, 37 inch waist) but I haven't had any issues with any other centres in Indonesia. The diving conditions in the Komodo park are challenging and it is very important to be psychologically and physically comfortable wearing the kit. It took me at least 15 minutes to gear up for each dive and I was furious that this whole situation could have been avoided. The staff on the boat did their best to make the gear fit as best as they could (loosening BCD, lengthening weight belt etc) but it really wasn't ideal.

My other major issue is that Luigi, who is an Italian divemaster with the company, does not in my opinion speak a level of English that is suitable to lead groups of novice English-speaking divers. He is without doubt a very capable and professional divemaster, but when the conditions are challenging it is very important to listen to the briefings very carefully and this isn't easy when the divemaster cannot speak English to a good level. I know fine well that I was not the only person who found it difficult to understand what he was saying.

All in all, I would not dive with this outfit again. I also feel that a 4 to 1 Diver-Divemaster ratio is too high in conditions with strong currents.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank Musicjunkiealex

19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Overall a really positive experience”
Reviewed February 8, 2014

I have about 50 dives, we were walking around and went into their shop. Wolfgang was an excellent salesman, he appeared to be concerned about safety and certainly knew the dive spots. We signed up with them after speaking to a few other shops, then came home and read some of their reviews on this site. I was unsure about diving with them and decided I wanted to speak to the DM's in the morning. I spoke with two DM's an indonesian man and Luigi. I did not feel placated about their safety talk mostly speckled with "don't worry, it's good". We ultimately spoke to guests that had dove with them the previous two days and decided that we'd give it a go. I was really pleased with the dives, the equipment was excellent and the DM's communication underwater was great. Their boat was shady and comfortable...though they did crash it entering the harbour and ripped off a railing. Ultimately, we ended up only diving with them the one day because I know the diving in Komodo is challenging and I wanted to make sure that all my concerns were fully addressed.

Visited January 2014
Manchester
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Very Bad, Dangerous Cowboys – DO NOT DIVE WITH THEM!”
Reviewed January 9, 2014

What should have been a fun filled day diving at 3 sites turned into a terrifying nightmare that has scared me off diving. On the first dive, my dive buddy had faulty equipment that resulted in losing all air at a depth of 20 meters and no one helping despite repeatedly showing them the faulty air gage which was spinning between 100 and 0 on each breath. The dive masters said carry on diving, It got to the stage where the air supply ran out completely and air was shared with me. When the dive master saw this, they came over and shared their air with my buddy, then the 2nd dive master came over, took out his regulator and made him share his air instead, then they swapped again. I have no idea what they were doing. Instead of doing the right thing and ending the dive they tried to continue the dive and swam off into very strong currents that separated us all - so again my buddy was without air at a depth of 20 meters and in a very strong current! Then I needed help and my dive master was unavailable. When we returned to the boat, the equipment was found to be faulty.

On the 2nd dive, air was shared again and again they swam off separating themselves so the 2nd stage regular was torn from the mouth and air was lost. TWICE.

On the last dive, the boat came to pick us up and did a 360 degree spin over 2 members of our dive party who luckily managed to cling on for life! They were lucky this time – they could have been crushed or knocked out unconscious in the water. This happened to our dive master and another dive customer – no one trained or available to do a rescue dive if this would have happened. They then came at the rest of the dive party with the propellers facing us when we were in a very strong current taking us towards them – we could have been torn to pieces. Then on the return journey, we were far out at sea with no land visible and the boat ran aground on a coral reef, completely crushing and destroying the corals. We were stuck for 10 minutes or more. Luckily the boat was not damaged badly and we could return home.

The group we dived with was varied from beginners at 13 dives to those with 100+ dives. The most experienced divers including the dive masters said that they found the dives were very challenging, the currents were crazy strong and the dive shops own manual said ‘DO NOT DIVE IN CURRENT’ and ‘EXPERIENCED DIVERS ONLY’. Yet we had beginners in the group that needed so much attention that the rest of the group had no dive master to be with them. Very dangerous.

At the time of booking onto the dive trip, I told the owner Wolfgang of my experience, capabilities, confidence level and limitations and he assured me that the dives would be suitable. However, on all 3 of the dives we did I was way out of my limitations and found the whole experience to be very scary, I was panicked and I didn’t enjoy it. I couldn’t appreciate any of the marine life, we had faulty equipment, were constantly separated and were fighting against killer currents the whole time and spent a lot of time clinging onto rocks and corals with our dive masters.

When we got back to the dive shop, we politely tried to raise this with Wolfgang the owner and he couldn’t have been less interested. He didn’t take his eyes off his computer the entire time and then told us in an aggressive tone ‘with all due respect your personal opinion doesn’t matter’. He didn’t record an incident log, he didn’t ask for details, he just cut us off from speaking – he simply didn’t want to know. All he cares about is taking your money and running. Lives were in danger on more than one occasion that day and all he can say is ‘with all due respect your personal opinion doesn’t matter’. If you value your life and you want to have a good diving experience, then dive with another shop, because you wont get it here.

Visited January 2014
5 Thank Cassie N
Wolfgang14, Director at Divers Paradise Komodo, responded to this review, January 11, 2014
Interesting, the same day another couple was on the same dive with the same guide.

The other couple extended for 2 more days and came back absolutely exited about there adventures, explicitly thanking me for the experience!

If the guide did not pay attention to the issue a complaint is fair. But he DID!

Every certified diver is trained to handle a situation like that by indicating the issue which happened. No life was ever in danger!

All our guides are most professional with a lot of Komodo experience!

Try us out for a day and make your own experience!

Full Satisfaction rating: 998 of 1000!
Budapest
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Good diving, nice staff, good dive sites”
Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

We booked three days of diving with Wolfgang. Currently he has two Canadian guys, Michael and Ginette, which are very good dive masters. We enjoyed the stay, although on the second day, the boat had problems starting the engine and we had to wait for about one or two hours on an deserted island for pickup. But the dive masters made this a very good experience. The boat of Wolfgang was always full compared to other dive operators. So you get to meet a lot of interesting people.
The equipment is in very good shape, although the compressor on the ship is loud.
I can only recommend this dive operator.

Visited December 2013
Berlin, Germany
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Quality and Comfort meet Friendly and Enthusiastic Staff”
Reviewed December 17, 2013

Here in Labuanbajo you have the agony of choice... so many diving schools.
I found the perfect place for me, really like paradise! The boat is nice and comfortable, the food on the boat cooked by Napoleon very tasty, i had 3 dives every day and every time a new dive site. the equipment is very good, the instruction and the knowledge about the dive site and all the interesting thinks to see great. my feeling: all the people love what they do and that's why the mood is very nice, a lot of laughing in the air, a smiling face all the time. and i saw so much interesting fish and coral gardens, every day I was really happy when i left the boat. is one of my favorite dive places in the world!!!
i can warm recommend this diving school and of course, i will come back for sure!!! Thanks a lot for wolfgang and his team.

Visited November 2013