“great diving trip”

Wicked Diving, Komodo
Ranked #7 of 85 Tours in Labuan Bajo
More attraction details
Owner description: Diving the Komodo National Park each day! Our staff are safety focused and passionate about marine life. You can join our Diving day trips, our liveaboards or sign up for a course. We also conduct expeditions and Manta Ray Research. With brand new equipment, our own dive medic on staff and the best diving found anywhere - the only thing missing is you.
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
“great diving trip”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2013

recently went on a 6 day diving trip with Komodo diving. The boat was fine, the food was good and our hosts of wicked diving where very friendly and helpful. I enjoyed this trip very much and have nothing to complain about!

Visited January 2013
WickedDiving, Owner at Wicked Diving, Komodo, responded to this review, March 16, 2013
Thank you for the review!

We hope you can join us again...possibly in Raja Ampat?

Washington DC, District of Columbia
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 68 helpful votes
“Final Review of the Season”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2013

Stop reading and contact Sonia right now to book your Wicked trip, then come back and finish reading this review.
I booked the Wicked Snorkeling Adventure as a surprise for my 3 brothers and father when they visited me Indonesia and we loved every minute of it! The adventure starts when you check in at WIcked's HQ located right on the main/only street of Labuan Bajo. A few quick forms later and you are headed out to the boat. Our amazing guide, Bara, the Captain and 2 other crew members met us and helped us all aboard in the dinghy. We got moving immediately and were quickly at our first snorkeling destination. This was a great spot for Bara to see how strong our skills were and to make sure that all of the equipment fits well. Once Bara figured out that we were pretty capable in the water we started hitting the harder spots, places with currents, whirlpools, and all kinds of other stuff. This is Wicked's Major strength, they don't just take you to the secluded and safe bays that the other companies take guests. Wicked takes you to the BEST snorkeling locations...even if they are for advanced divers. And it pays off! On our 3 day trip we saw (in order of awesomeness)
20+ Manta Rays
3 Wild Boar
1 Billion Flying Foxes
2 Eagles
A couple of Water Buffalo
And so many beautiful fish in pristine coral that I know I am now ruined for life...snorkeling must be downhill from here. Throughout the trip Bara kept us informed on all of the fish and wildlife we had found, she also gave us extensive pre-snorkel information to keep everyone safe. The Captain turned out to be an awesome cook, his red snapper dish is amazing and he can fry some mean onion rings. The boat was also well stocked with beer (take that divers!) and soft drinks. Bara and the crew member that ran the dinghy were very good at watching currents and getting us to drop right in the correct spot, this was especially important when we were drifting for Manta's. During this drift I had at least 8 Mantas in my field of view at 1 point...simply amazing. On the second day we visited Rinca village and walked up to the Flying Fox caves. After some exploration and photos we made it back to the boat to watch an amazing sunset as thousands and thousands of flying foxes went out of the mangroves to feed...it is truly a memory I will hold for the rest of my life. That night while I was sleeping above deck, I was woken up by dolphins swimming past...it was a full moon so I could see them well, another amazing memory. The next day we were up early to climb around on Rinca island and spot some Komodos. We found at least 5 different dragons and spotted 3 wild boar along the walk as well.
I could go on and on about this amazing trip, but you are better off doing it yourself than listening to me. All that I ask is that you follow the guidance set down by Wicked Diving and please respect this amazing natural wonder, do not litter, do not touch the coral (or anything else) and take lots of photos.

Visited January 2013
3 Thank Nick H
WickedDiving, Manager at Wicked Diving, Komodo, responded to this review, January 13, 2013
Wow - amazing words - and so appreciated!!!!

The staff and crew blushed when we read this - "Thank you" and of course invitations to come back :)

We don't promise a luxury boat but we sure do try to have the best staff and crew, and your feedback made it seem like it worked! The guides really focus on each guests needs and skill levels, so if you weren't as confident in the water, we would have changed the itinerary and sites to better suit your needs.

We must also admit that you seem to have had a great cross-section of wildlife! So many Mantas, Sharks and more...Oddly enough - the one that was most unique were the boar! Those are rarely spotted on Rinca.

Thank you for choosing Wicked Diving Komodo for your snorkeling tour, but also for the great review.
SIN
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Outstanding trip!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

Wow, what a vacation! With my wife and another couple spent 3 days on the Bali Prima for a snorkeling trip. Sonia was a great help in answering all of my questions and arranging flights (good call on choosing TransNusa and skipping Merpati - saw at least 1 cancelled flight by Merpati while in Labuan Bajo) before departing. Loaner gear for those who do not bring their own was also surprisingly good stuff. The boat is rustic - not a cruise ship - so be prepared (sleeping on mattresses on deck or below, a tiny head, no bowling alley or theatre) but it was excellent and we all loved it. Great crew and great food (and lots of it!) on the boat during the entire trip. Our guide Bara was very knowledgeable and enthusiastic and did a great job encouraging and coaching the less-experienced people in our group while giving the more experienced good advice and room to explore. The snorkel sites were spectacular and had it all - fish, mantas, currents, deep water, walls (but no turtles for us) on this trip. Did I mention mantas? On top of that you get Komodo dragons, villages, and bats - awesome! Would be an outstanding trip to book solid (6 pax max) with friends/family so you had the run of the boat.

I would highly recommend bringing a set of dry clothes and multiple sets of swim togs so they can dry out between sessions - you are in and out of the water a lot so having dry swimmers is nice. Rashguard vests (long sleeve) also HIGHLY recommended plus plenty of sunscreen and a hat for use when walking ashore. Do note we had rain one evening and some of the bags below deck did get wet from dripping/blowing water so plan ahead. Best advice would be to minimize what you bring aboard.

Wicked was recommended to me by friends who did a liveaboard dive trip and we were not disappointed. They were a great choice for our snorkeling trip. Hands-down one of the best trips I have ever done and we'd all do it again in a heartbeat.

Visited December 2012
1 Thank CT_Mtn_Biker
Thank you for such nice words! We appreciate them!

It is always a thrill to staff to get mentioned here - so they are quite happy with your comments! With the big liveaboard getting all the attention (she looks like a pirate ship) our small boat - the one mentioned here - gets forgotten about. She is not luxury , as you said, but she has character, makes for a more intimate trip and with a maximum of 6 guests...she is also perfect for families. We do recommend bringing an extra change of clothes - not just for weather, but also time on the beaches and in the water. As with many boats - we also recommend waterproof bags!

We'd love to take credit for all the marine life - but we can't! We can only try to find the right places to be, but we can never divine Mother Nature's moods.

It is deeply appreciated that you posted this and we hope that all our guests feel the same way!
Cronulla Beach, New South Wales, Australia
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Sensational 3 day snorkelling adventure in Komodo”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2012

For us non divers who just wanted to experience the wonders of Komodo National park I can highly recommend Wicked Diving's 3 day snorkeling trip. The underwater life in Komodo national park is simply amazing and Wicked team member Mariza is a fabulous guide.

Wicked made it easy to organise as well from the first email, to Sonia in the office and of course the crew on board.

The dive locations were amazing, each one a bit different but if i had to choose i would go back to Tengah - to me its an underwater garden and all the creatures are having a party.

I had the MV Bali Prima all to myself and crew, she is a traditional boat with traditonal facilities so if your into luxury cruising this one isnt for you. I loved it. The food on board is also amazing and is contstant - every time you stop there's more food.

Waking up on the first morning i found myself in a perfect bay which we had all to ourselves, the sun was rising and the animals in the park around me were coming to life and over breakfast a water buffalo popped down for a swim. Seriously this is the most amazing place and Wicked are the people to take you there.

Thanks to all the wicked staff and especially Mariza for showing me the underwater life and putting up with me.

Visited October 2012
1 Thank Gin63
WickedDiving, Manager at Wicked Diving, Komodo, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
Thank you!

We know our name is Wicked Diving and that makes many people think we only focus on Scuba diving...but your reviews proves it! We are passionate snorkelers as well. In fact - just about anything we can do to be on (or under) the water, we'll do!!!

We know this reviewer was fortunate to have the Bali Prima (our smaller boat) to themselves, but it's not always like that :( We simply can't guarantee that. We can offer the same service, standards and courtesy as mentioned!

Thank you for the feedback and we hope you can join us again!!
London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“A truly exceptional trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012

We chose Wicked partly because of all the positive reviews and they exceeded our expectations in every respect. Our six days of diving were extraordinary - everything from mantas, to sharks, to nudibranches, to swimming though what can only be described as fish soup over beautiful reefs, to fascinating night dives. It's obvious that the Wicked team really understands Komodo and faultlessly picked superb sites every time.

It's also clear that Wicked take their responsibilities seriously - both to the sites and the divers they're hosting. In an environment as special as Komodo, it's very good to be with an operator who does their best to minimise the environmental impact of the trip and puts effort into making the experience as green as possible, without compromising the diving or being sanctimonious about it. As far as looking after the divers, safety was taken seriously - important somewhere so far from help and with fast currents in many places. The diving was intensive - 3 or 4 dives a day - and the dives were structured to make this possible whilst still being conservative with the profiles.

If you're lucky enough to get Amanda as your trip guide/organiser, you're definitely going to have a great trip - perfect organisation; excellent briefings; great dive leading (and only 'tapping' when there's actually something worth drawing attention to!); an almost encyclopaedic knowledge of the life; and friendly and fun out of the water. I've had a number of experiences with guides who were unengaged, unsure of the sites/life, frustrating everyone with tapping their tanks every ten seconds or just frankly unsafe. Amanda's attitude and knowledge was a breath of fresh air and really made the trip exceptional.

All in all, it couldn't have been better - even the food was great! We'll definitely be back.

Visited October 2012
Thank you for choosing us, and it's always an honor to serve someone who found us through Tripadvisor :)

We all appreciate the feedback on our hardwork - we really do spend a great deal of time planning our dive sites and dive profiles to best suit the guests on each trip. Komodo is a place that can offer some of the most amazing marine life and experiences on earth, but deserves so much respect. While we can always go to sites where we will encounter the big stuff (Mantas, Sharks) we could encounter the currents that gives Komodo it's reputation. Instead we focus on the experience...and from your feedback, it shows :)

We hope you do come back!