“I saw it all”
Review of Bajo Dive Club

Bajo Dive Club
More attraction details
Owner description: Bajo Dive Club, enjoy the diving with the first dive school in Labuan Bajo. We offer Daytrips, Rincatrekking-Divekombination (Komodo Dragons), and Dive Safaries.
Reviewed September 8, 2012

We did the 3 day live aboard to the Komodo national park and it was really great.

There were 3 other divers on board so a total of 5 and our dive master Martin. He was the absolute best, showed us all the good stuff, asked us where we wanted to go, what we wanted to do/see and had a relaxed and enthusiastic attitude so everybody had fun. He has "The eyes" printed on his maskstrap and after 3 dives you realise why. He can spot the smallest and the biggest animals or nudibranches miles away! Too bad I didn't bring a camera because I think he really showed us everything there is to see in this great location.

If I ever come back I'll definitely ask for him!

1  Thank Rept

Reviewed September 5, 2012

My boyfriend and I booked on a 5D/4N safari after the recommendation of our friends, who did the same safari a few years earlier -- we were very glad that we did! We were outfitted in new/well maintained equipment and ushered to the boat. Every day was an adventure. Each site was spectacular. There is something for everyone: big fish, small stuff, drift dives, etc... We could have spent another week on board. The staff helped with the set up of equipment before and after the dive, the food was outstanding with coffee, tea and cookies available all day (they even catered to our gluten-free diet), and we were well briefed before each dive. I felt very safe and confident in our guide - Jamie - and dive master - Gusti. The only CON on board was that the matress on my bed had a dent in it from past patrons laying in the same place - however, this did not detract from my quality of sleep on board. Finally, owner Anke is an exceptionally kind person - she checked in on us before we departed for the safari, and kindly offered to drive us to the airport after our stay in Labuan Bajo concluded. Bajo Dive Club's safari is certainly the best value on the market. We will be back again!!!

Reviewed August 28, 2012

I arrived in LBJ without anything booked and I thought I was out of luck -all fully booked- until I found them. Very friendly and competent staff. Martin -instructor-, did not just briefed us on the sites, but made it a lot more fun by doing it with a fresh sense of humor and peppering it with some cool facts about sea life -the guy seems to be a Marine Biology nerd even though he looks like just another happy surfer- which adds to the overall experience. Jimmy, Gusti and Timo -DMs- were helpful to the extreme and kept finding all the rare fish on the reef -even those invisible pigmy seahorses.

They say they are the oldest dive shop in town and they seem to have kept that small family business "look and feel" that I like. I never felt they were only after my money -actually I got a good deal for the best three days of diving I've had so far (I only have 29 dives, though :). Saw Mantas (3!) at Manta point, Grey reef, Black tip and White tip Sharks at Castle Rock and so much biodiversity that I gave up writing it all down on my logbook.

They seem to commit to get the boat out in the sea even with only a few divers, and even though one time my group was a bit big (6 with a DM, while the instructor had to do a refresh with only two people), the rest of the dives were never crowded and always well organised by similar skills -they seemed to group people by observing them first, rather than simply Open Water vs Advanced. In the end it meant that I managed to get all my dives over 50 minutes -a few just over 1hr- and never had to go up because of other people running out of air very quickly.

Definitely the place I'll come back to when I dive in Komodo.

Reviewed August 19, 2012

Dropped in Labuan Bajo in peak season without having booked anything... poor planning on our part, but part of our adventure!

This shop was one of 2 that had short term availability for a live-aboard... or at least that was the selling line! The boat was broken and was to be fixed by the next day, so we were strongly encouraged to do a day trip while it was fixed. Not the best experience... Even if the dive themselves were very good (it is Komodo!), the whole operation was poor.

- Poor dive management: mix and match of divers within a group (3 DM and an advanced in the same group as a 6-dive diver in the currents of Komodo???), changing of dive groups on the fly just before jumping in (with low-experience divers in a strong current site...),...
- Equipment ok, but my girlfriend's reg leaked a bit, causing her to drain her air much too quickly. Informed the guide... who said it was ok and nothing was to be done. Had a different one the next day and all was ok.
- Boat broke down on the way back. It happens, no problem. Just the way it was handled was poor: no information whatsoever of what was going on, what the problem could be, how long we could expect, if another boat had to come... silence. Spent an hour sitting on the ocean, clueless.

After the first day, we were told that the live-aboard boat was not fixed after all... but that, of course, we could go on another day trip. 5 min later, another staff told us that we could in fact go on a live-aboard, but had to be 4 people min... After the day we had, we decided not to pursue anything "complicated" with them and went back for another day purely because 1- coming back late, it was impossible to book somewhere else and 2- the core of the customers we had a good time with were going the next day.

2 good things overall:
- Staff were friendly in general and wanted to help. Our feeling was that lack of organisation was what made it difficult for them to deliver.
- Gusti, the main guide, was very good and knowledgable. He tried his best, but with a boat of 16+ people, it's not a 1-man operation. I'd go back diving with him in an instant!

All in all, if everything else is booked, they'll get you to the dive-sites... but make sure you can take care of yourself there and on the way!

1  Thank Foodie_errant
Reviewed August 7, 2012

After arriving in Labuanbajo in June 2012 I spent my first day visiting every dive shop in the area looking to find a good dive shop which would allow me to do as many dives as possible and also take a trip to see the dragons. Bajo Dive Club were the only shop who would commit without without a minimum number of customers and the girls in the shop were very friendly and professional.
I spent 3 days diving with Bajo Dive Club which included 7 dives and a trip to Rinca island to see the komodo dragons. I had my own divemaster for every dive which meant that each dive lasted as long as my air did (usually around 60-70 minutes). The diving was amazing, the best I'd ever experienced and the divemasters, especially Scotty and Val, were fantastic and really went that extra mile to ensure I had a great time in Labuanbajo. I was traveling solo and they really looked after me, ensuring I never ate alone and allowing me to use their underwater camera.
I really can't recommend Bajo Dive Club and diving in Komodo national park enough. Everything was perfect, the marine life and coral were stunning, the equipment was in great condition, the food on the boat was good, the price was reasonable and the divemasters were experienced and enthusiastic. I will definitely dive with them again when I get the chance to return to Labuanbajo