“A bad experience”

Lake Illawarra Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 2 Windang B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 1, 2013

I stayed here for two nights in room no. 2 with my family. The host was unfriendly, from the first meeting. She was complaining about their problems (in having to sell one of their apartments) (why did we have to hear about their problems?) and had an unpleasant and unfriendly manner of speaking.

I selected this place, as the pictures of the rooms looked good, in the website (through lastminute.com.au). I realized only very late that the 3.5 star rating was actually self-rated. It did look nice in the exterior, but inside, it was a very messy place with eerie looking dolls by the staircase, and very gloomy paintings (every one of them had a sad note like a grieving person, a grave, etc).

My family and I really lost our appetite, when we saw, that nothing (even the plates and cups) were not clean. The Chef was a good man, was welcoming in his conversation with us. But, he too failed to see that the breakfast he was serving was all in unclean, dirty plates. We felt bad to say it to him directly. All of us, just couldn't bear the smoky smell of the place and the unclean atmosphere.

We were told that the Chef prepared the fresh fruit salad and that he cooks in front of us. He did cook in front of us, indeed; but the omeletes were burnt and the dining room was filled with smoke, and had an unpleasant smell. When he opened the fridge, I was shocked to see how unkempt and unclean it was! We don't know how the place is certified for food safety, of all things!

When there was a short circuit in the room where we were staying for most of the night, we waited until daylight to get help. It was nearly 6 am, when we rang the reception's door bell. when the lady (host) came, she was very grumpy and said "nobody wakes up at this hour!" .

Overall, we were utterly disappointed with our stay here. What was advertised in the brochure and the pictures were very misleading. I would say, the hosts need some training in hospitality, food safety, and in cleanliness. I do not know how they get certified to run a place so poorly like this?!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank PSK145

Reviewed March 27, 2013

I stayed here for two nights as a base to explore Wollongong on a weekend in late Feb. I had looked for hotels in the region and was surprised at the lack of affordable accommodation so was happy to find and book something that promised a good standard and at a good rate. I wasn't disappointed. The setup is basically two houses next to each other, one is the office and main residence of hosts Bob and Rosemary and where you go to eat the included breakfast, the other is where the guest rooms are. It is well located and close to a number of shopping centers including a mall with cinema etc. I was traveling from Sydney and running late on the Friday night of my arrival but it was no problem for Rosemary who stayed up until I arrived and showed me to my room (I even got upgraded to a better room than the one I had booked). The room was clean and well appointed. The guest-house has a little shared kitchenette area with sink, kettle, microwave, fridge etc if you need that. I took advantage of the included breakfast both days and thoroughly enjoyed it. Bob is a decent cook and both he and Rosemary are full of local knowledge which they are only too willing to share. Just commenting on one of the other reviews, there are wheelie bins adjacent to the off-street parking but they are not intrusive. And I had absolutely no problem with the quality of the food. I would definitely stay here again. Bob and Rosemary are good people - it was kind of like staying with family - if that's not what you want you could forgo the included breakfast, keep to yourself in the guesthouse and still be getting a good deal.

Room Tip: I got a better rate than was available online at WoitIf by phoning direct.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank MungoDragons
Reviewed February 17, 2013

My partner and I stayed here as we wanted to get away from our daily lives for a bit and just spend time together. This was the perfect place to do this.
It is an excellent location. You can go for an easy and short stroll to the lake. Following the lake out to the beach is a lovely walk. You couldn't stay here and not do this.
The rooms are spacious and very comfortable, my two nights there were so comfortable. The bed was extremely comfortable. Upon entering the room you notice how spotlessly clean the room and bathroom are. We felt instantly at home.
The staff, bob and rosemary are lovely and very easy to speak to.
Bob is an excellent chef who welcomes you with a smile and friendly chat each morning. Guests get to choose from a large variety of food for breakfast. We started with fresh fruit salad and then went not an Aussie breakfast then the next day an amazing omelette.
Bob showed us some beautiful scenery around the area. He was very kind to show us around the area.
We will definitely be back here. And we will recommend this place to our friends and family. You should pay bob and rosemary a visit and see everything that this part of the south coast has to offer.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 10, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Lake Illawarra B & B on a recent trip to Southern New South Wales. It was a single night that broke up a long drive and was chosen more for the convenient location than anything else. We've stayed at many traditional B & B's in Australia and overseas.

The price for this B & B was quite good and the room was fairly spacious. The owners were friendly and helpful.

However, the atmosphere was not really up to standard. The off-street parking was filled with rubbish and the room was a bit shabby. Some effort has been made to give that "B & B atmosphere" but a few dolls and pictures scattered around doesn't really cut it. The location is a suburban house in a street full of other suburban houses - no views, no scenic setting, no atmosphere.

The price included breakfast for two and, with that included, seemed like a good alternative to a motel. This might have been true if the breakfast was any good - but it wasn't. The cooked breakfast wasn't edible. I did my best to avoid offending our host but my wife couldn't eat much, at all.

The property is currently for sale (and appears to have been so for some time). I'm guessing that the property has been allowed to run down with no cash invested in maintaining it for quite a long time.

This is a very pretty part of the coast and there are probably other places to stay that would be better value for money.

Room Tip: Pick somewhere else
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mikey0308

Been to Lake Illawarra Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!